ABC News Sex Survey - Average number of Sexual Partners (for a lifetime)

airc3

Sexy Member
Media
For every guy with a large number of partners, there's someone like me who has 0 and drags down the whole sample

ShannonH

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
8 in a lifetime? Hell, I've had 12 in a week. Now, to be fair, there was a four-some and a three-way during that week.

This thread is more fun to use as an excuse to boast about how many people you've had sex with.

My weekly max was 7, which was probably too much for me, being with a different woman each day. It probably would've been easier if I didn't insist on at least having a drink with each one.. I was so sick of kitchy coffee shops and bars by the end of all that.. All twosomes though. I am trying to convince my now-serious girlfriend in to a threesome with one of the girls I was with that week. She has a lot of interest in a FMF, but to the uninitiated saying you'd want to do something vs. actually doing it are two very different things.

airc3

Sexy Member
Media
I wish, but it's true. Never even had a BJ. I know a ton of people that have never had sex (or at least claim they haven't). Their not fugly social retards either. You'd be surprised.

You're such a liar...with a cock like that, someones getting lucky.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My weekly max was 7, which was probably too much for me, being with a different woman each day.
Which shows the danger of basing surveys on self selecting samples, like for example the kind of people who are interested in lpsg.

I know a ton of people that have never had sex (or at least claim they haven't). Their not fugly social retards either. You'd be surprised.
No I wouldnt. I reasonably trust the people doing the surveys to choose a representative cross section of people to ask. The result is most people do not have many partners. The unusual ones are those of us pushing up the average.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Yep. Also, go back to the numbers: 3 vs 8. You realise that if we assume the average woman sleeps with almost no prostitutes, the average man would have to sleep with 5 prostitutes for every 3 non-pros he's with?
If not every man regularly sleeps with prostitutes (I certainly don't, and from the responses even most of the sex-driven guys on this board don't), that goes up to an insane amount. If we count 9 guys all sleeping with 3 girls each, the 10th would have to sleep with 50 different pros to get that number. If that's true, maybe the prostitutes need to offer a loyalty rewards program.

Please, don't reply to this saying "I know a guy who slept with a lot of pros therefore you're wrong." That's not how stat's work. You can't just throw anecdotes in wherever you want because it affirms what you already think is true. By and large, looking at the whole population (not just the people you're exposed to, but everyone) there's no way guys are sleeping with 5 prostitutes per every 3 non-prostitutes they're with. The numbers just don't support it.

Take a read on that lie-detector link I posted. The numbers come together to almost match exactly when the surveyed people think they'd be caught in a lie.
Again you have to learn statistics...the 3 and 8 are the point where there are the same number of respondants above the number and below the number.

Personally I am way above the number, but I have also slept with more than 10 pros.

ShannonH

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Again you have to learn statistics...the 3 and 8 are the point where there are the same number of respondants above the number and below the number.

Personally I am way above the number, but I have also slept with more than 10 pros.

I actually TA'd in stats for 2 years, so thanks. It's also a little odd that you reply to my exact same post twice and say 'again'..
I did just misread the OP on account of the title being 'average number', not 'median number'. I went back in a later post and corrected: the average listed is 6 for women vs 20 for men, so I really don't see how that's any better. Those averages are based on the same data as the median, so I doubt the median can be reliable if we already know the data are impossible.

The problem here is really the basic assumption: ABC News did not (and cannot) measure the number of sexual partners that people have had. They can only report how many partners people say they have had, which is a very different measurement.