About College Dorm Showers...

Inter Ested

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i don't know anything about dormshowers, cause in germany there are no dorms like in the us. but i'm visiting a very modern gym (built 5 yeras ago), and it has open lockerrooms and open showers for the men and a mixed sauna for both men and women. it's quite normal here and nobody seems to have a problem. the women in the gym can visit a separated sauna only for them, if they don't want to be naked in front of the guys, but many of them are using the mixed one.

inter

mj wagner

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The last time I saw open shower concept, was in high school, and when I did my job placement in a federal prison for my Master's degree.

new71

Just Browsing
Media
My dorm had a small shower room with about 12 heads in the middle of the room. 6 fheads facing the other 6. Some guys who were shy would shower late at night when it wasn't busy.

rederic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
At my College all but two of the dorms were co-ed. Some had separate baths for guys and girls, but some of the older buildings--including the one where I lived--didn't. It was no big deal. Men and women showered together. There was more horseplay than sex, although there were times when couples would get it on under they spray. It was really about hygiene--men and women peeing and pooping, showering and brushing teeth together just seemed natural. IMHO our society in the US has way too any taboos about this sort of thing. Our bodies, whatever their state, and just bodies after all ;-)

BigLittleMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the reason men's showers are becoming more "private" has less to do with men than the "need" to accomodate women. you think i'm kidding.

a friend of mine is the facilities and maintenance director at a large midwestern college. he has told me that college (and even high school) policies regarding men's restrooms and shower rooms are changing to allow women "access" to men's facilities. at the college where he works, women can go into men's restrooms and lockerrooms as they wish, whenever they wish, without any problems (he says this is pretty much becoming the norm.) separate shower stalls, urinal partitions, etc., are a response to men's complaints about needing privacy. he said they have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on urinal partitions alone.

when i asked about just keeping women out of areas where men would be using the restroom or being naked his response was, (and i'm not joking) "and risk a lawsuit?" yes, he thinks this is total bullshit also.

oh, by the way, if a man is caught in a women's restroom or lockerroom on campus, regardless if anyone is present or not, they are arrested.

and women can't understand why men don't respect them.

goodguy2244

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
In my college dorm, we had an open room with 4 shower heads. I still remember vividly how fine it was to shower with 3 other naked guys every morning. The urinal was a trough, and there were no stalls around the toilets. We thought nothing of it, that's just how it was.

MonsterUncut

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
it's crazy how everone is so uptight about male/male nudity nowadays. whatever happened to big gang showers, urinals w/out partitions, trough urinals, etc?

There's still a couple bars here in Seattle that have the trough urinals. Quite a few stares, comments, but it's all good.
Peace

piercedjobbie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used a communal shower in both high school and college and it was no big deal. So a few guys look at your body and I would look also. I have no idea what the hub-bub is all about.

D

deleted3782

The trend is definitely going for more privacy...my gym was built 8 years ago and has separate little showers for everyone...which is fine except they are harder to clean (seems the smaller spaces get moldy quicker).
In grades 7 through 12 and in college, all the showers I used were communal, though we were forced to use them after gym in the lower grades, I lived on-dorm in high school and had to use them every time I showered. Most guys get over the initial awkwardness of nudity pretty quickly, but I know that some of the socially distressed guys never got used to showering with others in their four years in school and would go to great lengths to bathe after hours.

Historically, I think Americans males have progressively gotten more sensitive about their bodies, especially as male beauty has become more objectified in the past 30-40 years. You see written accounts from the nineteenth century of guys showering together in groups, and photographers like Thomas Eakins and von Gloeden showing somewhat staged scenes of guys standing around naked with each other. The pendulum seems to swing both ways...

I think its odd that as American males become more skittish about showing their bodies in front of other guys, that the internet has exploded with sites like this where guys freely expose themselves anonymously. The same guy that might squeeze into his boxers beneath a towel in the locker room might then go home and wack off to an audience of fans on yahoo. Interesting stuff.

CRJ35

Experimental Member
Media
I was born in 1975, and was a high school and college athlete. I grew up in open showers, and never gave it a thought.

My 16 year old son is a swimmer, and is fine with nudity. Some of his buddies are not.

B_josh762

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
In Jr High and in High School here, we had communal showers. After that the first 2 or 3 different gyms I joined had communal showers. Guys young and old walked around the lockerroom naked, showered in the communal stalls naked. Walked back to the lockers naked and dressed without having a beach towel wrapped around them while putting on their briefs. Was just a normal thing. Yes men checked each other out but was very discrete about it. When my son went to Jr. High they were still using communal showers but by the time he went to High School, guys wasn't made to shower after gym or after sports. Now the newer gyms and highschools have 4 to 6 seperate shower stalls and guys keep covered up. Personally this is no big deal to me as I don't go to the gym to pick up guys, I go there to workout. It just seems that guys are afraid to be naked in front of other guys. I can remember skinny dipping at the river when I was young with several guys, no hardons or sex resulted in any of those river sessions. Was just normal. Makes a old man wonder what happened to society to make being naked in front of other guys a bad thing? Not putting it down just wondering why.

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
<wonders why also? Back in the '60's in HS no big deal, in the military no big deal. At my Y it is one big open gang shower. and have seen the same at other military barracks. The barracks at my military unit have individual showers....just more time to clean them.

B_Rob15

Sexy Member
Media
<wonders why also? Back in the '60's in HS no big deal, in the military no big deal. At my Y it is one big open gang shower. and have seen the same at other military barracks. The barracks at my military unit have individual showers....just more time to clean them.

So silly and creates more work too, any architects in here or anyone who knows any or own business that have buildings should seriously consider not building new things that create and encourage more shyness and body-hiding-image issues among folks with the same gender and same equipment.

B_retracted

Experimental Member
Media
i dont think this is an issue of people being "uptight about male/male nudity". i think its an issue of not wanting to be forced to expose your dick to other people. particularly people who get off on seeing other peoples dicks without permission. i think i have the right to keep my situation to myself. :saroll: plus the right not to have to look at someone elses.

Nobody's forcing you to look at any guy's cock. :rolleyes:

In regard to your claim that it's not about being uptight about male nudity, you sure as hell come off that way considering you seem to think it's on a par with rape if anyone happens to see your little wee wee in the shower. Do you make the women you fuck (yeah, right) sign confidentiality agreements before you drop your pants? What did you do when your mother changed your diaper? You never gave her permission to see it either or did you just go around in a shitty diaper all the time? Are you one of those guys who uses the stall to take a piss because you don't want some dirty queer catching a glimpse of what you like to refer to as your dick?

All men have cocks so I fail to see why so many men these days are raised to be ashamed of the fact that they're men (and have cocks).

The only reason anyone should be afraid to be seen naked in the shower when everyone is naked as well is if there's some Yentl scenario going on and they've been trying to pass themselves off as the sex which they're not.