Competitive sports

Mercurygirl

Superior Member
Media
Apart from your workout do you play (or have played) competitive sports, or for that matter, sports in general?

I've enjoyed playing tennis, soccer, golf, softball, and swimming, most of the time competitively in the past. I've been making efforts to get back into tennis and swimming to mix up the aerobic part of my workout. To that end I recently joined a gym with a pool and could immediately feel the familiar burn in the muscles I'd been neglecting for some time.

Now it's a matter of convincing my boyfriend to join me in tennis so we can eventually play doubles against other couples. This may involve some negotiations and diplomacy as recently I shot down his idea of buying mountain bikes. Basketball and cycling are his thing, he's built for both activities, I am not. I'm all for him doing athletic activities he loves it's just that I'm personally not a huge fan of either. I feel what with his significant height and strength advantage I'd just be holding him back on the trails, he'll get bored quickly, and be wanting to leave me in the dust.

I suppose if he agrees to play tennis with me I'll have to reconsider my opposition and fears of scarring my legs up wiping out on a mountain bike. =/

And you?

Reactions: ronin001

Wildbig

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its all good. I have played basketball my whole life and love it, but I wouldn't expect a woman to want to play competitively. On the other hand, tennis and biking are great for anyone. Maybe do tennis socials? Or ride with a club? They are both good social gatherings and fun for both of you.

Reactions: Mercurygirl

Have played soccer, basketball, and tennis my whole life competitively. I honestly don't think you should get into basketball with him lol. I think you guys should compromise and you go bike riding with him, and he tries to play tennis with you. Both are easy and fun to do and very social.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Only for fun, not as part of organized leagues, unless you count intramural sports in high school and college, like softball and flag football. I was a collegiate rower for several years, which was tremendously rewarding.

I miss having been a part of a real high school or college team. Rowing was on a team, yes, but it didn't give the same feeling that I see other people experience with their team sports.

I'd like to try biking. I haven't owned a bicycle for close to 30 years.

Mercurygirl

Superior Member
Media
^^Haha, guys I have absolutely no plans of playing basketball with him. I've had more than enough of his balls in my face don't need anymore.

I was strictly referring to mountain biking.

I agree though, I think we can come to a compromise and do what each other likes.

@twoton ... I'd love to try rowing, looks like a good workout and lots of fun.

Exbiker

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I never had much interest in team games, but I am fairly competitive at the gym, and with running. I think I just didn't "get" why anyone would care which end of a field a ball gets put. That's the logical explanation. The cultural issue is my extreme homosexuality, probably... /dunno

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm not very good at team sports. I like solo endurance sports. I even shy away from the team stuff at my crossfit box. They're always competing and fundraising. But I've always been slow or uncoordinated or both depending on which point in my life. I don't want to be the weakest link. I am naturally very competitive though, and I do like to compete on my own. I was into running for a while. I'm really too slow to compete against others, so when I run, I mostly just try to beat my own best times. I'm getting into cycling now. People tell me my speed is good, my endurance is improving, and if I could just learn to corner better, my bike is good enough to do well in races. But. Turning is still scary. So. Not ready yet.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The only time I played tennis was for a few weeks in phys ed class. My friend and I were so completely unschooled that our objective was to simply keep the ball inside the fence.

I will (would) row in any weather, I will run in any weather, I will work outside in any weather. Running back and forth on a hard surface in the hot sun was always enough of an obstacle that I never wanted to play tennis. Or basketball.

dirkjesje

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Did competition from my 15 till 25.
400m and 800m. Sponsored first by Adidas - later on Puma.
Did a few international meetings - but only the 800m.
I stopped - because I wasn't selected in the national team for the European championship in Greece and my chrono's were not improving.
I tried 3000m steeple - but that wasn't my thing.

Now I run once a year the 20km of Brussels street run with friends.
Just for fun. But even then we compete to be the best in our group- even that the best of us ends on the 50th place.
( and 20km is long... for an ex-short tracker)
A few weeks before we train a little or we try to...

For the rest - I just walk with my dog.

Wildbig

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Would he compromise with Road cycling? Its a little easier, except the car dodging part, but you should be able to find some paths.

Mercurygirl

Superior Member
Media
Would he compromise with Road cycling? Its a little easier, except the car dodging part, but you should be able to find some paths.

I'd be happy just doing a bike path but I think his adrenaline junkie side would get bored with it. He joined me for spin class this morning and said afterwards he missed his mountain bike and being on a team. Says he's eager to try tennis, something he has never played, whenever I'm up for it. So I suppose I'll challenge myself too and do some mountain biking. God save my legs. =/

Wildbig

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd be happy just doing a bike path but I think his adrenaline junkie side would get bored with it. He joined me for spin class this morning and said afterwards he missed his mountain bike and being on a team. Says he's eager to try tennis, something he has never played, whenever I'm up for it. So I suppose I'll challenge myself too and do some mountain biking. God save my legs. =/
You'll be fine, just get some kneepads. Unless you already have some... :p

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Apart from your workout do you play (or have played) competitive sports, or for that matter, sports in general?

I've enjoyed playing tennis, soccer, golf, softball, and swimming, most of the time competitively in the past. I've been making efforts to get back into tennis and swimming to mix up the aerobic part of my workout. To that end I recently joined a gym with a pool and could immediately feel the familiar burn in the muscles I'd been neglecting for some time.

Now it's a matter of convincing my boyfriend to join me in tennis so we can eventually play doubles against other couples. This may involve some negotiations and diplomacy as recently I shot down his idea of buying mountain bikes. Basketball and cycling are his thing, he's built for both activities, I am not. I'm all for him doing athletic activities he loves it's just that I'm personally not a huge fan of either. I feel what with his significant height and strength advantage I'd just be holding him back on the trails, he'll get bored quickly, and be wanting to leave me in the dust.

I suppose if he agrees to play tennis with me I'll have to reconsider my opposition and fears of scarring my legs up wiping out on a mountain bike. =/

And you?
I'm suddenly reminded of this doubles tennis scene:

Baseball was my thing, but that's not something couples can do unless you can find a co-ed softball league on weekends.

Challenge him to racquetball?

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
But ya know, the two of you can go mountain biking and it doesn't have to be his time for a hard ride. He can coach you along, and go off on other rides when he really needs a good workout. I used to run with my wife to keep her company, but when I wanted a "real" run I'd go at a different time.