Death Panels are inevitable in a public option

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wyldgusechaz, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

or America will be bankrupt.

Real life example: I know a gravely ill man who is intimately aware of the prognosis for inoperable grade 4 glioblastoma. He refuses to declare himself a no code which means if he lapses into respiratory failure, he wants to be tubed and ventilated. His chances of survival are 0.

Who will pay for that? In the public option, someone will have to tell him, NO.

I also understand that in the public option a person does not have to enroll in the plan until they get sick. Anyone see why that won't work?

2. alex8.5

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree at some point someone has to make the decision for the person if that person is unable to or has failed to appoint somone to make that decision.

3. justasimpleguy

Albums:
  4. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

It is really amazing you don't see the evident distinctions. Easier said than done but I can choose a different death panel (i.e. insurance provider). If the govt. becomes a single payer system there is only one death panel in town.

Secondly, the govt. best functions as an advocate on the consumer's behalf rather than as a direct provider. And even at that the govt. is failing us. Take note of the recent debaucle on Wall Street or the botched credit card reform legislation. I suppose you think that govt. should be a "single payer" entity in regards to credit cards because they'd do a much better job?

5. vince

Gold Member

6. houtx48

Gold Member

who in here is going to live forever? insurance companies have spent 750m on lobbying against call your congress persons and find out if they got their fair share.

7. justasimpleguy

Albums:
    I didn't say anything for or against single payer. All I meant was that "death panels" are a red herring. A distraction.
    And as Houtx48 pointed out, wouldn't it be nice if these companies had spent that $750 million on care, rather than lobbying? They're business practices are criminal. Making a living selling insurance is fine with me. Turning a profit by denying claims and cutting plans is not.

8. D_Fortumus Wigglesack

i think people fail to realize that a "death panel" with the purpose of controlling costs ALREADY exists in every single private insurance company. the only difference is that they're pressured to keep their costs even lower since they're (A) after a profit and (B) don't have the option to make up the difference in the following year's tax revenue

9. D_Tintagel_Demondong

We don't have death panels in Canada and we are far from being bankrupt. This man with grade 4 glioblastoma has the right to refuse euthanasia. He'll be artificially kept alive until he dies; a practice which has been going on in the US for decades without causing bankruptcy. The US is already spending 1/4 of it's budget on healthcare (yes, it is already socialized). Universal healthcare, however, is cheaper, so I can't see how you conservatives are against it.

You are fear-mongering. Everyone is afraid of death, which is why talking about healthcare is so difficult. Nobody wants to discuss their own mortality. Mentioning "death panels" is a clever way to exploit this fear in order to further the anti-social-healthcare agenda.

#9 D_Tintagel_Demondong, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  10. lucky8

Gold Member

Albums:
  11. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Easy. Increase the tax on overpaid doctors and rip off drugs companies to pay for him and others.

12. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

Overpaid doctors?

No, more like stop subsidizing Canadian and European healthcare. Charge them as much for drugs and equipment.

13. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    The fucking bill needs to be killed, does that have anything to do with a death panel?

The bill is one big steaming turd and welfare for the insurance industry.

Ahhh... more ways for the stock holders of the insurance companies, hospitals and drug companies to suck the American people dry.

KILL the BILL!!!!!!!!!

14. vince

Gold Member

Congratulations. You just won The DumbAss of the Week Award.

15. quercusone

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    They already have these panels at many major hospitals. I know someone on one of these panels. They have the legal right to not treat you. I believe they give you 3 months or some period of time to find a hospital that will take you. If you can't find a willing hospital, then adios.

16. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    ur 100% right.

i can't believe obama is selling this as a triumphant win for him.

the dems have conceded to EVERY demand of the republicans, just to pass SOMETHING.

17. earllogjam

Gold Member

Albums:
    At least the death panel wouldn't consist of one barely high school educated telephone operator and her immenently medically proficient supervisor at the health insurance call center ready to deny you coverage.

I don't see how a "death panel" (oy) is any worse than how it is now.

18. D_Smidley Smelliepits

D_Smidley Smelliepits Account Disabled

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subsidizing European healthcare? I live in Spain and pay taxes for healthcare, so I don't think that THAT is happening...

19. D_Smidley Smelliepits

D_Smidley Smelliepits Account Disabled

And yes, it's universal healthcare and it's not that expensive... The US could deal with it the same as other countries in the world do