FASHION

SweetDiane: Now, my ladies and dearest web-friends, tell the others who are your favourite fashion designers. And why. (And who makes the best stalkings ! That's something I need to know  :-* !)

I'm a fan of Donna Karan, Nina Ricci and Paco Rabanne. I'm addicted to deux pièces, so whoever is going to make the d.p. more and more feminine will be the love of my lifetime. (In what fashion is concerned.) But, :p, I'll always feel affection for my old and comfortable trousers, jeans, skirts, etc, etc. I feel better.

Enough about me. I'd love to hear your opinions.

PS - Guys, you're welcome to post here too  :-*  :-*

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
If she's using my credit card, Wal-Mart or the thrift shop are just fine.

Pecker

(My wife will buy anything marked down. Last year she bought an escalator.)

wvalady1968: Most of the time, I'm in jeans and a Lands End shirt. [Short sleeve mocks] When I dress up, it's something from Coldwater Creek. I usually hate to shop for clothes.

[sigh]

7x6andchg: Me too, Allie - I'm very much jeans and T-shirt...

That said, when I do dress up (and I will admit that dressing up is easier for men) I generally don't pay attention to who designed it...I'm more interested in finding something to fit my rather oddly-shaped body off the rack.

Paul
7x6&C

wvalady1968: [quote author=7by6etC link=board=women;num=1063018565;start=0#3 date=09/08/03 at 16:36:40]That said, when I do dress up (and I will admit that dressing up is easier for men) I generally don't pay attention to who designed it...I'm more interested in finding something to fit my rather oddly-shaped body off the rack.

Paul
7x6&C[/quote]

Other than the obvious,  ;) what's so "odd" about your body?

7x6andchg: Well...let's see...

I'm 5'7 and 5/8" (and you know us short guys always go for the fractions LOL) which means inseams are 30 at best...the shortest they make, and sometimes not short enough, because I have a long torso.

But I have a 45" chest and a 34" waist. The 'drop' on suits (the difference between the coat and the pants) is generally 6"...which means a 46 coat (because my shoulders are broad enough to take me out of the 44 coat) has a pair of size 40 pants with it. Um...no...not gonna work.. :D

Athletic cut, such as it is, is slightly better with an 8 and sometimes a 10" drop...but still larger in the pants. Plus then I could go on for hours and hours about my thighs....loose or baggy fit only for me...the others just do not work.

So yeah - dressing up - bit of a chore.

Paul
7x6&C

wvalady1968: Oh, yeah! Every guy should have your problems. Poor baby!

~walks away wiping the drool from her chin~

;D

7x6andchg: :D

Yeah , I know it could be worse... but it does affect my ability to buy clothes off the rack.

So I tend to be T-shirts and jeans...because designer clothes are designed for men who are 6' and 180 lbs.
I have ONE of those right. :D

7x6&C

inquiringmind: HI my favorite designers are:

Krista Larson, Issey Miyake ,Yohji Yamamoto, rei kawakubo, claude montana, isabel toledo, Christian Dior( vintage)Givenchy ( vintage) Byron Lars, Hennah, cynthia Ashby, zadikian, betty jackson, donna karan, betsy johnson, Jeanne Engelhart, Jennifer Barclay,Ralph Lauren ( vintage), Perry Ellis( vintage) Christian Lacroix( vintage) , Karl Lagerfeld( vintage).

Inquiring mind

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
SweetDiane,
I'll tell you this story... my incursion into the world of Parisian haute-coûture was a fairly heady experience for me. It was the first time I had to deal with fashion and I was only 20. I had been invited to write about Yves Saint-Laurent summer collection for a Roumanian magazine (« Beau Monde »). I received an invitation, went to Hotel de Crillon (Place de la Concorde) and sat in the front row among some very condescending New York buyers and unbelievably ugly priestess of a certain country's fashion journalism who could, I was assured, make or break any collection. I was amused by such a pretension, for the simple fact that, in Europe, especially in France, no one really cares about she was, who they were and what their tastes were. How shocking they looked, draped in their furs as they were, red-taloned, emaciated to the point of grotesquerie, while all about them graceful exponents of the art of French allure glided silkily around the room and along the catwalk. Oh, les bijoux, la musique , the jewels, the music !... The audience seemed to be mostly composed, to my absorbed eyes, of characters from Proust ; around the doorways couturiers and lovely models clustered... the room, fabulously ornamented with rococco golden chandeliers, was extremely expensively perfumed. It all seemed like a coquettish passé, striving with great charme and delicacy to sustain the traditions of a, well, I admit, greater past. The clothes were so sumptuous, the prices were definitely astronomical, the models were so refined ! I was captive, fascinated, delighted beyond imaginable, especially that in this presentation YSL included the 1998 summer collection blouses whose designs were inspired by Roumanian traditional peasant garments (feminine, of course) (Matisse has some paintings entitled "Blouse roumaine" - it's the same dress) ; the rest was very classic, almost like Givenchy's usual splendid creations.

When, later that night, I told Yves Saint-Laurent I felt like living in Proust, he laughed and told me that Proust was all he read in his entire life ; but out of Proust's 12 volumes oeuvre, he read and re-read and re-re-read only 11, never touching the 12th, always guarded for a special occasion in his life. I suppose that after his retirement in 2002, he finally opened the 12th volume.

So that... in the last years I met YSL, Thierry Mugler (wow ! did you see his "insect-dresses" ?), Karl Lagerfeld and John Galliano ("Christian Dior" 's designer - from him I found out some things that really boosted my ego, but that's another story).

I like (feminine fashion): Lacroix, Mugler, Dior (nowadays a bit too eccentric for me), Givenchy (he ceased to create in 1995), Lagerfeld (always liked him), Balenciaga, Versace.

PS - ...I should start writing my memoires...!

SweetDiane: Thank you, Raal ! ... you should really start writing your "memoires"... !
Err...  :p ok, I'll say it: I wonder who you really are. In real life. I can feel "something" special there...

longtimelurker:
7by6etC wrote ...and sometimes not short enough, because I have a long torso.

Long torsos can be a right pain in the arse, can't they? Surely the trousers aren't too much of a problem, as you can take them up a bit, but I'm sick of constantly having to yank down my shirt/t-shirt/sweater due to it rising over my belt.