Genuine questions for the resident transgenders

TaigaStar

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Hey, peeps! So a little background here: I've recently gotten into following BuzzFeed, and over the past month, with the whole Caitlyn Jenner stuff especially, BuzzFeed constantly has a lot of Transgender-related postings that I've been reading. The problem has been that the more I read, the more questions I have. I want to preface this by saying that my reading/watching (yes, yes, I know the source is circumspect at best) had shown me that certain things are regarded as tiring to answer or mildly offensive. I'm not trying to go there, so if the questions come off as such, please accept my sincerest apologies.

1) When referring to "transitioning," is the term generally understood to mean the start of hormonal therapy, achieving the end result, post-surgery, or something else?

2) How long after hormone therapy begins is surgery planned? Is surgery more or less common, and what is it usually for?

3) I'd also be interested in hearing your thoughts regarding the whole gender identification and public restrooms issue. While I understand the idea behind it, I admit a part of me struggles with understanding at what part of transition a transgender person would feel appropriate to begin this.

I'm sure I have more questions, and again, none of these are meant to be rude or insulting. These are questions I have based on things I read and/or hear (like number three, which I heard from a family member). Please help share your thoughts and enlighten this humble gent. :)