Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you had some knowledge with getting government assistance ( Financially ). I have come across some articles talking about how an HIV positive person can apply for SSI benefits or disability benefits in general. Im a college student so dont really have time to work and make a decent amount of money and recently found out I was HIV positive. My parents are technically poor lol so i dont get and financial help from them. where should I be looking for assitance? I dont know where to look. Not talking about assistance to help with medication and healthcare , I already have help with that, im talking more along the line of monthly stipends or checks from the federal or state government. Let me know what you think/know! thanks

Ronaldo19

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Your local social security administration office. However, there has to be contributions from you into that account.
yeah I already made a Social security account online but I havent worked enough or earned enough "credits" i think, in order to receive benefits. So I highly doubt I can get money from SS, but what about the SSI? is that still part of SS or a different branch that wouldn't require me to have previous work history?

Ronaldo19

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Have you contacted your local HIV/AIDS non profit (RAIN, in Charlotte NC)? I'm sure they can provide you with some information for financial assistance. Good luck.
I will definitley ask the office asap, I was just hoping someone on here could maybe reassure me that it is possible to receive financial assistance from the government. thanks

Reactions: Betty_Cocker

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would start first with your local health department. One way or another you can get insurance through Obamacare. For further assistance I would look to in state HIV / AIDS charities - if none seem available I would contact Whitman Walker Clinic in Washington DC. While obviously you are not a resident of their service area, they will know some organization or agency that can help you. You can find them online.

tps87

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Are you truly disabled and unable to work? That is a factor. From what I know about AIDS most people are able to live a fairly normal life except in advanced cases they can become too ill to work. Of course I don't know your specific symptoms. If it is matter of funding the drug regiment to keep it under control, you should be able to get subsidized insurance under Obamacare.

If you are well enough to work and do normal things then you may be best served to just do what other college students do and intermingle working with your studies to gain some income.

Ronaldo19

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Are you truly disabled and unable to work? That is a factor. From what I know about AIDS most people are able to live a fairly normal life except in advanced cases they can become too ill to work. Of course I don't know your specific symptoms. If it is matter of funding the drug regiment to keep it under control, you should be able to get subsidized insurance under Obamacare.

If you are well enough to work and do normal things then you may be best served to just do what other college students do and intermingle working with your studies to gain some income.
Im not disabled in a physical sense, thats why im asking or seeking information in regards to that. I came across a few articles that talked about how people with HIV can get government benefits. It can be a stressful thing to have and can effect your daily life and what not, thats what the articles were validating to be a reason to seek financial help. Im already on medication and have financial assistance with my meds and appointments. Although I could technically get a job while in school, it isnt something I NEED to do in order to go on with my life, its just not suitable considering how much time I need in order to do well with my major.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Social Security benefits from a parent of an age to draw SSI, can extent to cover a dependent child in school up to the age of 22. Even if the child has never worked.

Persons with HIV, can possibly receive Disability benefits. I would take a look as this as well

Good Luck.