How much does race matter aka is it ok to lie about one's ethnicity?

I would be unbelievably put off/done if someone lied to me about that. Getting judged is a part of life. If they make that kind of a judgement call about you because of something so shallow as your ethnic background/make-up, fuck 'em.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
He is from Oklahoma and got re-elected today actually. Was the Oklahoma printing press revolutionary in the sense it was owned by minority groups until the Gaylords took over?
Ok, since he is in Talequah, the Dawes Rolls apply over blood quantum.
There's a reason the joke is what tribe are ya? Wannabe and generokee.

What was notable was the people considered lesser by the Sooners and European origin settlers were the literate, educated people in Oklahoma. Free black and the Civilized Tribes (meaning brough there) had high literacy rates for the time,

1g5463

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I would be unbelievably put off/done if someone lied to me about that. Getting judged is a part of life. If they make that kind of a judgement call about you because of something so shallow as your ethnic background/make-up, fuck 'em.
I agree- it's naive to expect not to get judged. It's part of human nature to judge others, rightly or wrongly. I think lying would make it worse for both parties. I just wish they'd be more open that's all, if not to expose them I guess.

1g5463

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
="SprinkleMe69, post: 5641508, member
: 613317"]One drop rule? Did you read that article in Indian Country Today
as well?[ QUOTE ]

I did a course on Race and American politics at college and I've had relatives myself who've experienced similar in other countries. It's a vile system used to oppress people for things they can't help. ie- race and skin colour.

1g5463

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Ok, since he is in Talequah, the Dawes Rolls apply over blood quantum.
There's a reason the joke is what tribe are ya? Wannabe and generokee.

What was notable was the people considered lesser by the Sooners and European origin settlers were the literate, educated people in Oklahoma. Free black and the Civilized Tribes (meaning brough there) had high literacy rates for the time,

Do you think blood quantum is inherently flawed? From the very little I know if it it is a mainly cultural affiliation with very minor racial connotations. Thus allowing a greater number of people to join I guess.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. It's an interesting juxtaposition whereby the more educated were seen as socially inferior.That is the opposite of what is generally thought now- wrongly so in my opinion but that's a different topic.

Out of curiosity, do you have Cherokee ancestry?

1g5463

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
That is the first I've heard that, actually. Thank you. Their identification was funny to me at the time. I wonder if they heard it somewhere, or thought of it on their own. I think they were Vietnamese on the Asian side of their family.
You're most welcome :) I can see why you would find it funny. I find all portmanteaus funny regardless of their meaning. Blackanese I guess has a very nice tone to it.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Do you think blood quantum is inherently flawed? From the very little I know if it it is a mainly cultural affiliation with very minor racial connotations. Thus allowing a greater number of people to join I guess.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. It's an interesting juxtaposition whereby the more educated were seen as socially inferior.That is the opposite of what is generally thought now- wrongly so in my opinion but that's a different topic.

Out of curiosity, do you have Cherokee ancestry?
No, I'm too new to the U.S. I'm immigrant generation.
My biological father may or may not have had First Nations ancestry.
But I basically look and live as a Caucasian Jew of French, Spanish, italian

1g5463

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Whoops...
Early post.
I have Spanish, French (Alsatian and Brittany), Dutch and Italian Jewish ancestry.
That's a very nice mix. I have Italian, Jewish(Ashkenazi and Sephardic), Creole and Chinese ancestry. I always thought Italian Jews were originally Spanish for some reason.

1g5463

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
One look at a map shows how close Italy is to Africa. I don't see why immigration would not have been direct.
Sicily is very close to North Africa and there has been immigration for centuries. Parts of Italy were under her dominion also so there was very direct immigration.

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I always thought Italian Jews were originally Spanish for some reason.

That's because you actually are partially correct.

As you probably know, there are a few different subsets of the Jewish people, the main two being the Ashkenazi and the Sephardi, with there also being some others. There is a substantial Sephardic presence in Italy, and that section of the Italian Jewish community did in fact come over from Iberia (Spain&Portugal) when the Jewish population was expelled after the completion of the Reconquista in 1492.