How would you do without gossip magazines?

My love is a brilliant woman. Without a doubt. Yet, she buys religliously Womens Weekly ( It's a monthly now, but used to be weekly, they could not rename it Womens Monthly)...and, New Idea...(No Idea, my take). These mags are the hugest gossip, crap and bull ever. Yet, it seems to be the discussion on what Brad and Angie, Nicole and Whatshisname, Prince Willie, Princess Charlie the Queen.... are getting up to is gospel not gossip?

So, how important are gossip and gospel mags in your life? When does Gospel become important apart from Gossip?

How do you decipher gos from goss?

Last edited by a moderator:

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I cannot even remotely verbalize my disdain for such magazines. I see them in checkout lines and wonder what kind of people buy them.

Now speak ill of Better Homes and Gardens or Southern Living and we'll have a heated conversation.

But gossip rags? I could make up much better stuff.

If it's not on BBC or NPR I don't pay attention.

Reactions: EE2014 and 185248

Mmmm. Have done work at 2 homes out of Better Homes And Garden photo shoots. Both of these were homes which looked great in photo shoots. A year or so later they were riddled with problems. Owners purchased them on the premise of previous advertising in magazine shoots and real estate bravado.

So many water, termite and building problems. Seems they belived the goss and not the gos :)

Last edited by a moderator:

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Believe it or not, I've taken quite a few jobs at new houses in upscale neighborhoods that were developed by very reputable builders to correct problems. I call them errors.

The real problem is that these big home builders are using second string teams of contractors and subs that know how to cut corners to increase margins. It's horrible. When I see a beautiful glass shower that doesn't have one corner squared that's a problem.

And it's not just the fancy accessories, but the very infrastructure that's been abbreviated! I see missing joists, inadequate headers and low quality wallpaper, even discount shingles! Come on now!

They are skating on past reputation and still building! There is one whole subdivision where if I get a call I know exactly what I'm going to face. And I'm never pleasantly surprised.

And usually what happens is when I present the homeowner with an estimate he thinks that I'm the one that's trying to gouge them. So it's the same old dog and pony show where I lead them by the hand step-by-step showing them what's wrong and why it's wrong. I could almost publish a manual to present to them when I walk on site.

OK, let me kick this soapbox back under the counter. I'll calm down.

Mmmm. Have done work at 2 homes out of Better Homes And Garden photo shoots. Both of these were homes which looked great in photo shoots. A year or so later they were riddled with problems. Owners purchased them on the premise of previous advertising in magazine shoots and real estate bravado.

So many water, termite and building problems. Seems they belived the goss and not the gos :)

Renn

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have zero interest in such garbage. I have a life - I don't need to read about the lives of others for the fun of it.

And Ellie P - I recently appraised a house which was built for $1.3 million 7 years ago. It appraised last month for $850K thanks to the water damage it sustained over the years. Wood shingle roofing really does need to be installed by people with some experience, particularly on a home with such a complex roof line. The entire roof needs replacing, the drywall and flooring on the 3rd floor as well - god knows what they'll find when they start opening up the walls.

One home that turned out to be an absolute nightmare for the owners that took posession, was one that took pride of place in the Better Homes edition here. The people that bought this home were no dummies. The home featured in many, let's say progressive parties. It had many ceilings in stained glass feature, as well as in many gables. It had outdoor, indoor water features and lovely garden structures, columns etc..

The problem is when people do these things, invite the outside environment to the inside of their home, they invite trouble if it is not done in the right way. It's a gorgeous thought to wake up to the trickling of water, view the moonlight through stained glass in a skillion roof. But, if not constructed correctly it will lead to personal heartbreak or worse.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread with a tangential rant.

But I see little value in digging into the goings on of made up celebrities. It's bad enough that so much crap is shoveled by the goings on of elected officials who speak out of the other side of their face. It's almost become expected of any politician espousing family values.

So why in the world would I be interested in someone's life who has absolutely zero effect on my own or my business? It's bad enough congress people who want smaller government want to regulate my bedroom. I don't get it.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I can live without although I pick up the odd People.

However, even without picking up gossip rags, I still seem to know an awful lot about pop culture. I just pay attention to the world, I guess. I know about art, literature and politics, too. I just pick up stuff. Information is everywhere.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I have magazines...lets go look....
Mother Earth News (one from1977, my first one. I just keep one recent around at a time, however.)
Utne
Mental Floss
Smithsonian
National Geographic
Massage & Bodywork (trade)
I'm sure there's an errant 5280 around, because a buddy brought one by. Maybe an Outside.
Deep in the collection is the late lamented MountainFreak, all six? Seven? Issues.
Oh, and High Country News. I keep getting told is a magazine, not a newspaper. It focuses on the Intermountain West of the USA.

Now, what was your stereotyping question?

Reactions: EllieP

My love is a brilliant woman. Without a doubt. Yet, she buys religliously Womens Weekly ( It's a monthly now, but used to be weekly, they could not rename it Womens Monthly)...and, New Idea...(No Idea, my take). These mags are the hugest gossip, crap and bull ever. Yet, it seems to be the discussion on what Brad and Angie, Nicole and Whatshisname, Prince Willie, Princess Charlie the Queen.... are getting up to is gospel not gossip?

So, how important are gossip and gospel mags in your life? When does Gospel become important apart from Gossip?

How do you decipher gos from goss?

I've never read them. Back when I was contemplating going into clothing/fashion, I subscribed to Vogue and Lucky. Otherwise, my magazine subscriptions in the past ran more to video game stuff, Dragon magazine when it was still around, etc. I mostly don't care about celebrities, etc. Nope.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I always liked magazines about fashion, hair, science, electronics, cooking, and DIY or crafts. My grandma loves the celebrity gossip mags, but even before the dimensia she couldn't remember details after the magazine went into the bin. It was for her like vegging out in front of the television is for many folks. Around here, we prefer books. Mysteries and police procedurals, mostly for my kin, the same, plus sci-fi, fantasy, and biographies for me.

Reactions: ronin001

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with reading those mags. It's just fluff for the mind - something fun to pass the time. I carry my Kindle with me all the time, but if the charge runs out and I'm at the doctor's office and faced with the choice of 'Popular Mechanics' or 'In Touch', I'm going with 'In Touch'!

It's like my choice in books. I prefer literature, but I may toss in a pop fiction read in as well. I work in an emotionally draining job. Sometimes, a little fun is required. Sometimes I want to watch some garbage TV, read about the royals and read a Grisham novel.

Vibesy's love puts up with him. Lord knows, she needs those magazines! :D

I love Country Living mag.

I'm currently going through a french reproduction furniture phase and I love seeing how the pieces go together.

Betty_Cocker

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I get along just fine without the gossip magaines, gossip TV shows, daytime drama shows, ... I don't think I'm missing a thing.

I have no room in my life for other people's drama. I can find much better things to do with my time and money.
(My mother sounds very much like your lady, Vibes. Not dissing , just saying it's not my thing.)

Reactions: ronin001

There is a section in her mags called "What The Frock". It's not bad to have a look at, to see what the stars are almost wearing sometimes. Yey La, she reckons I'm a handful at times.....:) ;)