I punched a stranger in the face

jaap_stam

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Considering there are cameras everywhere these days odds are you've been captured at some point on film walking away from the scene.

You really have to think before you hit someone "as hard as I could", you could have killed him. You do realize there are thousands of people in prison for manslaughter who foolishly acted out just like you only the person they hit died?

Then you would not only have a "shitty day" but a shitty life ... along with some extremely violent men who'll be looking to hit you as hard as they can.

P.S. If you sucker punched him you're not a hero just a coward.

I suppose you owe me a small debt of gratitude for giving you the satisfaction of feeling moral superiority.

Coward...those are words used by people who have never been in a real fight. If a person ever forces themself on you sexually, I hope you will not fight in a "cowardly" way to defend yourself...

jaap_stam

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
What happens if you run into him again ? Does he know what you look like ? What are the chances?
Is he or the police looking for you ?

When i was in school i ran across a classmate in the dining area. His head was shaved.
He told me he went into a 7-11 and 2 or 3 men { i don't remember what he said exactly }
came in armed with guns and a bat. The manager locked the doors and he got hit with
the bat and required brain surgery at least 2 times. The manager was shot in both arms
and legs.

He sued 7-11 and it turns out one of the men had gone into the 7-11 to buy beer and looked
underage or something and got into an arguement with the manager. The manager cut him.
He came back with his brother and i think a friend. If you take it far enough some people will try
to get even.

The police are not looking for me, no crime was reported. Maybe the man is. I don't live my life in fear of violence.

jaap_stam

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Except it turns out that the incident actually took place in The Netherlands - presumably a somewhat more civilized location.
The Netherlands is hardly a civilized location.

Ever heard of Zwarte Piet?

black-pete-netherlands.png

Imagine this bs on the streets every Christmas

Reactions: AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Except it turns out that the incident actually took place in The Netherlands - presumably a somewhat more civilized location.
I suggest you stop with your presumptions. While clearly Dude should have tried talking the guy out of harassing that lady before resorting to violence on her behalf, I would insist that anyplace where it is tolerated that men just follow women around when they are clearly trying to escape and be left alone is not civilized. While I know nothing of women's issues in the Netherlands, I have long been aware of the tradition of Black Pete, as was pointed out to you by the OP, and it is one reason I'd never opt to live there. You should see how excited the children get, and how no one seems to think that shit is the least bit racist. Civilized? Just about as civilized as the US where the routine street harassment of women is a HUGE problem.

Considering there are cameras everywhere these days odds are you've been captured at some point on film walking away from the scene.

You really have to think before you hit someone "as hard as I could", you could have killed him. You do realize there are thousands of people in prison for manslaughter who foolishly acted out just like you only the person they hit died?

Then you would not only have a "shitty day" but a shitty life ... along with some extremely violent men who'll be looking to hit you as hard as they can.

P.S. If you sucker punched him you're not a hero just a coward.

I remember that happening here when 2 guys got into a shoving match. The one guy fell over and hit his head on the concrete curb and died. The other guy was convicted of manslaughter and off he went to prison for 10 years. I'll bet a day didn't go by that he regretted what he did. This was awhile ago, so I assume he's out now, but that's probably where his problems really began. Being an ex con, I'm sure he had a difficult time getting himself established again. Also, people he knew before had probably moved on.

A lot of people don't think about short and long term consequences before they act out. The first thing they teach us in Taekwondo is that if you can walk or even run away from a fight, do so. Fight only as a last resort. People mistakenly believe they look weak for doing so, but I think it's a sign of strength. My buddy is a 3rd degree black belt in Karate, a major in the Canadian forces (specially trained in hand to hand combat) and has done combat tours in Afghanistan. He has walked away from plenty of confrontations even with the other guy calling him names for doing so. They don't know how damn lucky they are he walked away. He could have literally killed them with his training. He's a small guy like me, so other guys always underestimate what he's capable of.

Reactions: Mercurygirl

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Your Mum was right - She is a wise women. But your Dad would have told your brother to hit the fucker that harasses your sister. I think men should defend women, when they need it Where I am from (Deep South), any smart ass who is harassing a woman should expect to have his ass kicked. I am by no means a fighter, but I don't let lame fucks harass women.

I have no brothers, but my Dad raised us to defend ourselves. I may be small, but I know how to break a humerus and drive testicles into the pelvis at the same time. It's a parlor trick that's not requested all that often.

I get hit on in a club with my husband present. He usually smiles and continues his drink because he knows he doesn't have to lift a finger. I have big girl panties. And when all else fails I have a concealed carry permit. It has never ever escalated to that level.

Reactions: deleted858776

Mercurygirl

Superior Member
Media
I suppose you owe me a small debt of gratitude for giving you the satisfaction of feeling moral superiority.

Coward...those are words used by people who have never been in a real fight. If a person ever forces themself on you sexually, I hope you will not fight in a "cowardly" way to defend yourself...

How the fuck does me having to defend myself from a sexual assault equate to your unnecessary assault on a person? You're attempt at convolution is absurd.

"Coward...those are words used by people who have never been in a real fight."

You have a really warped view of things. Cowardice, or bravery for that matter, are not contingent upon one's commitment to violence. Or didn't your parents teach you that?

And what fight? You suckered a stranger on the street. Wow, what courage, my hero.

Look, if you had confronted him verbally first, told him to stop harassing the woman, and he became belligerent and then you hit him I wouldn't have responded here. But none of that happened. Instead you committed a crime and as I see it (from the heights of my morally superior mountain, or as I like to call it civility and reason) are worse than the individual you attacked.

Seriously, what reaction did you honestly expect when you decided to post your injudicious act of chivalry in the "women's issues" forum? If you were hoping for a trophy or a pat on the back you won't be getting one from me. All you did was add to what is wrong with the world today. This immediate jump to violence to solve things. By this modern age one would think we would have evolved as a species beyond our violent and bloody past, learned from our mistakes, but instead we've actually increased our appetite for violence and are devolving to an even more grotesque state. You've only contributed to that decline.

Instead of regret for what you've done all I'm reading here is a unrepentant sanctimonious lunatic who still actually believes his viscous act is somehow justified. From those of us still holding onto the hopes of a more harmonious and peaceful world, sanity, let me inform you it was not.

Reactions: Joll

I'm with Ellie and Mercury on this.

I'd defend my sisters - and any woman being abused - to the hilt. But would I punch someone in the face because he cat-called? No. I'd give him a mouthful - and if he'd started physically abusing them - or harrassed them continuously, or refused to stop, then maybe I'd have gone for the physical option.

Imo, two wrongs don't make a right - and nor would I post it up on here in the hope of applause.

I'm generally impressed with Jaap's postings - but not on this particular occasion, I'm afraid.

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

Instead of regret for what you've done all I'm reading here is a unrepentant sanctimonious lunatic who still actually believes his viscous act is somehow justified. From those of us still holding onto the hopes of a more harmonious and peaceful world, sanity, let me inform you it was not.

Perfectly said. Thank you for expressing it so well.

Reactions: Joll

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I suggest you stop with your presumptions. While clearly Dude should have tried talking the guy out of harassing that lady before resorting to violence on her behalf, I would insist that anyplace where it is tolerated that men just follow women around when they are clearly trying to escape and be left alone is not civilized. While I know nothing of women's issues in the Netherlands, I have long been aware of the tradition of Black Pete, as was pointed out to you by the OP, and it is one reason I'd never opt to live there. You should see how excited the children get, and how no one seems to think that shit is the least bit racist. Civilized? Just about as civilized as the US where the routine street harassment of women is a HUGE problem.

Okay, let's go back to the original post wherein japp said, "I was walking down the street and saw a man cat-calling a smartly dressed (business fashionable, no cleavage or excessive skin) young woman in heels.Something along the lines of "What I wouldn't do for a friend like you" and he just kept going."

So, let me get this straight - all the guy did was make a comment, one which many women might actually take as a compliment, and then he continued on his way.

And you think that deserves a sucker punch to the jaw?

My God, man, what kind of world are you living in? And what kind of world do you want your loved ones to live in?

jaap_stam

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I'm with Ellie and Mercury on this.

I'd defend my sisters - and any woman being abused - to the hilt. But would I punch someone in the face because he cat-called? No. I'd give him a mouthful - and if he'd started physically abusing them - or harrassed them continuously, or refused to stop, then maybe I'd have gone for the physical option.

Imo, two wrongs don't make a right - and nor would I post it up on here in the hope of applause.

I'm generally impressed with Jaap's postings - but not on this particular occasion, I'm afraid.

I'm only human, I'm afraid. I'm not proud of what I did. As I said earlier, my younger sister was sexually assaulted within the past year. The circumstances of that were that there were people present who stood by and just watched. Or maybe they "tried" to say something, but no one acted in her defence. Her "friends" just let some guy carry her off and have his way.

Sometimes, just "saying something" or just talking doesn't work and even taekwondo masters get into fights. Maybe it would have worked in my situation. There is a lot of ugliness in human nature that cannot be controlled by rational words, no matter how much we want to believe it can. In such situations, moral posturing is meaningless.

longandskinny

Cherished Member
Media
I really admire jaap_stam's courage, though I guess it does help to be physically imposing in the first place. With 20/20 hindsight, I think he should just have towered over the guy and told him to back off, and that probably would have worked. On the other hand, getting slammed probably taught the creep a more lasting lesson. As long as there isn't permanent injury I don't think it's such a big deal.

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I really admire jaap_stam's courage, though I guess it does help to be physically imposing in the first place. With 20/20 hindsight, I think he should just have towered over the guy and told him to back off, and that probably would have worked. On the other hand, getting slammed probably taught the creep a more lasting lesson. As long as there isn't permanent injury I don't think it's such a big deal.

Jesus Christ! Get ahold of yourself and pay attention.

The guy made a comment and continued on his way! He didn't attack the woman, he didn't corner her, he wasn't even particularly rude nor was his comment overtly sexual.

It that warrants a sucker punch then no one who dares to open his or her mouth in public, on any subject, is safe.

longandskinny

Cherished Member
Media
Jesus Christ! Get ahold of yourself and pay attention.

The guy made a comment and continued on his way! He didn't attack the woman, he didn't corner her, he wasn't even particularly rude nor was his comment overtly sexual.

It that warrants a sucker punch then no one who dares to open his or her mouth in public, on any subject, is safe.
Didn't you read jaap's account? The guy was following the woman and continuing to make inappropriate comments. It wasn't just once.

longandskinny

Cherished Member
Media
I agree that if the cat-caller had just made one passing comment and made no attempt to follow the woman, a punch would have been disproportionate, though I think it would deserve a verbal reprimand.

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Didn't you read jaap's account? The guy was following the woman and continuing to make inappropriate comments. It wasn't just once.

Please re-read the original post and tell me where it says that.

It says the guy made a comment and then continued on his way. One comment. I see nothing about him following her.

longandskinny

Cherished Member
Media
Please re-read the original post and tell me where it says that.

It says the guy made a comment and then continued on his way. One comment. I see nothing about him following her.
I think you misunderstood "kept going". From jaap's follow-up posts I take this to mean the man kept cat-calling, not that he kept going on his way.

jaap_stam

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Okay, let's go back to the original post wherein japp said, "I was walking down the street and saw a man cat-calling a smartly dressed (business fashionable, no cleavage or excessive skin) young woman in heels.Something along the lines of "What I wouldn't do for a friend like you" and he just kept going."

So, let me get this straight - all the guy did was make a comment, one which many women might actually take as a compliment, and then he continued on his way.

And you think that deserves a sucker punch to the jaw?

My God, man, what kind of world are you living in? And what kind of world do you want your loved ones to live in?

"and he just kept going" - in other words, a lot of crap was coming out of his mouth.

I don't know many women who would take unsolicited sexual obsenities from strange men at dusk on the street as a compliment.

What kind of world am I living in? Again with your bourgeoisie moral posturing. Every member of my immediate family, me included, has been sexually assaulted. My father, at the hands of police in apartheid south Africa. How do you think "talking it out" worked for him? There are evil people all over this world who use other humans as objects - talk all you want, they will still have their way with you. That's why your government is committed to endless warfare and endless violence at home and abroad - so that you can sit safely at your keyboard and talk down at me about how to be more of a civilized human being.