John Wesley Shipp

Discussion in 'Celebrity Endowments' started by thee1, Nov 13, 2009.

1. CUBE

Gold Member

handsome and a good actor. when he came out durring Flash, it really hurt his career if i recall. so unfair...he really strikes me as a good guy too. glad he is working

2. edonline

Gold Member

I've often wondered if the rumor about John Wesley Shipp and James van der Beek fooling around was true.

3. thee1

Gold Member

A couple of years ago John himself posted to his IMDB message board to set the record straight about those rumors. Here it is:

http://i.imdb.com/boards/post.gif by johnwesleyshipp [SIZE=-1](Tue Jun 19 2007 19:31:32) [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Ignore this User | Report Abuse[/SIZE]
    Excuse me but...the endless speculation about my reasons for leaving Dawson's Creek in its fifth season is flattering but highly innacurate. Even 6 years after I left the Creek, the "explanations" are fantastic. I will tell you exactly what happened; after that, you're on your own to create and fantasize to your heart's content.

First of all, let me say that I am proud to have been apart of this pop-cultural phenomenon, working with a gifted cast saying the words of gifted writers under skilled direction and the watchful eyes of enthusiastic producers. We had the feeling we were creating something special far from "Hollywoodland" on the charming Southeastern-USA coastal waterways of Wilmington, NC. At the outset, playing a parent on this show was a joy, crafted as it was for the parents to enjoy independent (though subsidiary) and intersecting storylines with the kids: witness the HURRICANE episode. In seasons 3 and 4, however, the parent's storylines were progressively de-emphazised. By season 5, the kids were going off to college and leaving the Creek which would have left the parents exactly... where? (clue: not "ahead")
    At the end of season 4, all of the adults' contracts were permitted to lapse, to allow for restructuring deals in order to reflect the importance of storylines once the kids left for college; we all sensed the sea-change ahead. As it turned out, the producers only wanted 6 episodes from "Mom and Dad." Not wishing to stick around to see my contribution to the show shrink to more disappointing levels, I set my price high during negotiations. The 5th season began shooting and no deal. The WB SHUT DOWN PRODUCTION the first week of the 5th season due to lack of a storyline and no major motivating event. Paul Stupin contacted me in LA for coffee and asked--if they gave me the $$$ I was asking and 2 great scripts--would I come back to kill the character. In lieu of limping along to a disappointing end, I agreed.
    Et voila: DAWSON'S CREEK HAD ITS MAJOR MOTIVATING INCIDENT FOR SEASON FIVE; ONE OF THE PARENTS COULD ASSUME ALL OF THE DIMINISHING PARENTAL DUTIES INSTEAD OF SPLITTING THEM; DAWSON GOT AN AWESOME STORYLINE TO EXPLORE WITH THE DEATH OF HIS DAD; AND MITCH GOT TO "JUMP THE SHARK" IN A WAY THAT HONORED THE CHARACTER AND MADE ME FEEL THAT THE PREVIOUS 4 YEARS HAD BEEN ABOUT SOMETHING.

And so, people, those are all of the facts that I know...rumors of "affairs" and "crushes" notwithstanding. If there was anything else, I to this day am unaware of it. It may not be so dramatic, but it happens to be the truth.

4. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

First of all...picture one....kill me kill me now HOT!

5. thee1

Gold Member

LOL yeah he is hot! here's another great pic

6. FelixM

FelixM New Member

he was also in the second Neverending story movie as Jonathan Brandis' dad..... which i actually watched today for the first time in years.....he's gorgeous

7. thee1

Gold Member

Yep. He replaced Gerald McRaney as the dad in NES.

8. billnfla

billnfla New Member

i loved him as the flash, he is very talented, and yes good looking still!!!

9. mikey41

Gold Member

Go to Ebay, type John Wesley Shipp in the search and "entertainment memorabilia"
    in the other. Some nice photos of JWS should appear.

10. BarefootGuy

Gold Member

I didn't realize he was gay until reading this posting. He is a hot man!

11. pinky

pinky New Member

I think he looks much better as a mature man rather than a callow youth. The 80's blow dried man and lithe body just don't do it for me. But the slightly gray, crinkly eyed heavily muscled body .... well, let's just say fade to black.

12. mikey41

Gold Member

I'll take him at any age.

13. luvbigdik2

luvbigdik2 New Member

I had such a crush on this man back in his soap opera days as
    Kelly Nelson on Guiding Light (early 80s). he would wear these tight
    white jeans on the show :redface:

14. metryman

metryman New Member

He was naked on Broadway before he was on Guiding Light". I wish someone had those pics.

15. putputt00

putputt00 New Member

I got all choked up when his character passed away on Dawson's Creek