Notes from the 'frontline'

HUMONGOUS: thanks for sharing your views. you seem to suggest that I should be bated into a name calling fistfight with the members for expressing their views. why? they are entitled to their opinion and I am entitled to mine. it is as simple as that. we do not have to agree with one another. does that mean that here has to be animosity? I thank folks for sharing and move on. I repond when i feel a response is merited. beleive me I am having fun with this.as far as you suggesting that I be banned--well let's say that i am most comfortable with that decision. you see, my friend, life will not cease to exist, because I was banned from that board and I do not attribute a whole lot of importance to the anti-LPSG. I am in control of my situation. if I become upset then you are in control of me and my emotions. i cannot allow that to happen. as far as me calling the other board the anti-LPSG, well that is exactly what it is. my calling it that suggests nothing other than what it is. they have created that atmosphere over there, and I think there are people on this board that recognize it. look at the reasons this board was created in the first place. but once again thanks for sharing. it was nice to hear from you. lol

mindseye: Hey there --

[quote author=7x6+C link=board=99;num=1068262917;start=20#39 date=11/13/03 at 15:43:42]You have made NO secret that you do not like, enjoy the company of, the posts of, or the demeanor of Sammy or Maximillian. [...] It has been shown to me that you have usurped the Yahoo! profile photo of one of the posters "over there" and made it your own, as well.[/quote]

I'm sure that the first reason you gave isn't a valid reason to ban someone -- we've had plenty of cats hiss at each other over the years. People can form opinions about other users.

As for the second reason -- what happens in Yahoo Profiles isn't in our 'jurisdiction'. (And how easy it would be to frame someone else by creating a Yahoo account called, say, "mindseye", and putting whatever you wanted in that profile.)

The other reasons are valid concerns.

Republishing copyrighted material without permission (or even attribution) is clearly a breach of civil law. But it's an offense against the original copyright holder, not against LPSG. The analogy would be that if I went to the library and copied an article from Sports Illustrated using a Xerox copier, I'm potentially liable to SI for damages, but not to Xerox.

LPSG is simply the medium over which the infringement occurred. I agree that it'd be a good thing to encourage appropriate fair use of copyrighted materials, but I'm opposed to the notion that it's 'bannable'. (Would you expel a student who left out a footnote from a paper? Some schools do, in fact, but it's not something I endorse.)

As for flooding, that's something I definitely do not take lightly. It's abusive to the recipient (Maximillian) who has to deal with the insurge of messages. It's abusive to Mark, who bore the financial costs of the wasted bandwith. And it's abusive to everyone who was logged in -- not just here on LPSG, but on other sites that lease space on the same server from RHI -- since it slowed down the site for everyone. I think Mark's given Humongous an unusual amount of latitude over this particular issue because he was unreasonably provoked and threatened, but I'm reasonably sure that that latitude is nearly exhausted.

PS - are you from Michigan or NY? Your many profiles can't seem to make up their minds.

I think you have confused humongous and huge_cock_have_pics or whatever his name is on this point.

7x6andchg: Mindseye-

Your point about the medium is well taken. It is still, as you point out, a civil infraction. It does not involve LPSG directly. However, that does not make it less wrong. Perhaps not a bannable offense, but not exactly holier-than-thou, either.

As for the Yahoo Profile - I know only these things (and I realize this is not your jurisdiction, I am presenting it as circumstantial evidence)

1. The profile linked to in the named member's LPSG profile DOES (at least the last time I was there, he may have changed it) say he's from Michigan, yet his profile on here says NY. Even Buffalo and Detroit are over 300 miles apart.

2. The profile in the named member's LPSG profile does have a picture of Maximillian (again, as of my last visit) as its photo. I have seen other pictures of Maximillian outside of Yahoo, provided by Sammygirly from various sources, and they are the same as that which he has on his profile.

My only point is that, as a long-standing member of this group, and one who has been known for being rather diplomatic for the most part, I don't believe that the leeway this member has been allowed is good for the group. It takes a LOT to get me as angry as I am right now.

The above are examples about which LPSG has no control, I admit, but I am presenting them, as noted, as circumstantial evidence of the ends to which the member has gone to alienate a lot of long time members of this board.

In response to his being provoked or threatened, I don't necessarily see him as such....he posted threads which were identified as someone else's work, and refused to own up to it. After that, in retaliation, he then flooded the IM boxes of these members with messages. The fault, in my opinion, lies in his court.

HUMONGOUS: [quote author=7x6+C link=board=99;num=1068262917;start=40#42 date=11/13/03 at 18:28:37]Mindseye-

Your point about the medium is well taken.  It is still, as you point out, a civil infraction.  It does not involve LPSG directly.  However, that does not make it less wrong.  Perhaps not a bannable offense, but not exactly holier-than-thou, either.

As for the Yahoo Profile - I know only these things (and I realize this is not your jurisdiction, I am presenting it as circumstantial evidence)

1.  The profile linked to in the named member's LPSG profile DOES (at least the last time I was there, he may have changed it) say he's from Michigan, yet his profile on here says NY.  Even Buffalo and Detroit are over 300 miles apart.

2.  The profile in the named member's LPSG profile does have a picture of Maximillian (again, as of my last visit) as its photo.  I have seen other pictures of Maximillian outside of Yahoo, provided by Sammygirly from various sources, and they are the same as that which he has on his profile.

My only point is that, as a long-standing member of this group, and one who has been known for being rather diplomatic for the most part, I don't believe that the leeway this member has been allowed is good for the group.  It takes a LOT to get me as angry as I am right now.

The above are examples about which LPSG has no control, I admit, but I am presenting them, as noted, as circumstantial evidence of the ends to which the member has gone to alienate a lot of long time members of this board.  

In response to his being provoked or threatened, I don't necessarily see him as such....he posted threads which were identified as someone else's work, and refused to own up to it.  After that, in retaliation, he then flooded the IM boxes of these members with messages.  The fault, in my opinion, lies in his court.[/quote]
you said that you are angry. i am at a lost as to why?
did I do something to personally anger you? i do not think so. i think that what you need to do is get over your anger and move on with your life. lerarn to forgive and forget. it will be a lot easier on your emotional stability to lose the heavy heart. being angry cannot solve anything. attacking me does not solve anything. do a little soul searching and look within yourself --you seem to have a lot of unresolved conflict---you sound as though you are unhappy with yourself and as a medium you have started to project.
i am quite happy with who I am and you have let me know that I am in control of your feelings and emotions. i am the puppetmaster pulling your strings

7x6andchg: I am angry only because you are choosing to ruin something I cared about with your posts and your attitude.

I am done with this conversation.

Tender: [quote author=HUMONGOUS link=board=99;num=1068262917;start=20#36 date=11/13/03 at 11:42:44]There are at least 10 people from this board who are actively working at the anti_LPSG as moderators, under pseudonyms, other than the ones they use at LPSG. Tender is one of them, .[/quote]

excuse me, but Tender is NOT one of them.
i am not a member of that board, and at this point do not plan to be.
and i will not moderate anything there.
the posts i have replied to there were as a guest under my same username. ....
::)
Tender

tracksuitboy: [quote author=HUMONGOUS link=board=99;num=1068262917;start=20#36 date=11/13/03 at 11:42:44]There are at least 10 people from this board who are actively working at the anti_LPSG as moderators, under pseudonyms, other than the ones they use at LPSG. Tender is one of them, and Jackinman is another.[/quote]

Actually I've just had a look at the other board and there are 4 Moderators in all - not ten. Tender has already jumped in and denied your accusation which has saved me the effort.

You imply that ex-LPSG-ers are over there under pseudonyms; well sorry sunshine but that's not true either. Almost everyone who has joined up has used their same handle. Some have slightly altered their name; eg, sammygirly has become sammy - that's hardly using a pseudonym (especially when she says she's the same person).

Finally you keep calling them the anti-LPSG board. I am not here to defend anyone but I will say that your judgement is wrong. Yes, most of the initial posts were about the reasons for moving but it has moved on since then.

I am a member of both, I enjoy both. Think whatever you will of the the other board , but please do no misrepresent it.

longtimelurker: Mindseye - you really seem to have some obsession with arguing on the 'difficult' side of the discussion!

I'll just pull you up on your analogy, though - although my main argument I'm afraid will have to return to British law, however, I doubt copyright law is that different between us.

You cannot really equate the board here to Xerox - a better comparison there would be Cisco, who create the hardware that the data is routed through. A better comparison to the board would be the public library that allows photocopying of works, as there is more personal involvement there. Now, I don't know the situation over there, but both of my university libraries has to take legal responsibility to ensure its members follow copyright legislation by signing forms etc. declaring that they will follow the laws set down (referencing works, limit the amount of copying to one chapter of a book, no commercial usage etc.)

As for the general 'dislike' argument - that can go a bit further in terms of sheer harassment of the users concerned. Humungous has already stated elsewhere that one of his main aims is to attention seek and the general posts are usually little more than inflammatory in nature.