Penis Size Debate

pete543

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It's clear that science is on the side of those who say penis size doesn't matter. How can the opposition possibly respond to that?

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's clear that science is on the side of those who say penis size doesn't matter. How can the opposition possibly respond to that?

I think you need to elaborate.
"Science says penis size doesn't matter."
In what sense do you mean "matter"?
And which "science" do you mean?
Science is a broad field.
And what can science really say about the almost totemic reaction peeps have to a large penis.
Perhaps a biologist will say size doesn't matter.
But isn't this question really one more suited for psychology, cultural studies and other areas?

pete543

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Yes, but clearly there is a distinction to be made between those who think the preference for a larger penis is simply a matter of taste and those who think larger penises are biologically superior, and provide more sexual pleasure.

pete543

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
that last post was to the person who said "preference" hold on i'll respond to the other.

pete543

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think you need to elaborate.
"Science says penis size doesn't matter."
In what sense do you mean "matter"?
And which "science" do you mean?
Science is a broad field.
And what can science really say about the almost totemic reaction peeps have to a large penis.
Perhaps a biologist will say size doesn't matter.
But isn't this question really one more suited for psychology, cultural studies and other areas?

Yes, I agree a biologist would not say size matters.
I'm talking about social scientists such as psychologists and sociologists. Many well designed studies have shown that females believe males overemphasize the importance of size and that it is a small minority of females that prefer a larger man.
"Cultural Studies"- Not to be an asshole but wtf is that. Sounds like an area in the humanities taught at some (probably less than prestigious) universities but not all. Regardless, if we are to look at a purely cultural analysis, its obvious that the preference for a large penis is purely cultural, since no biological reason through sexual or natural selection can be found. This means the preference for size can change across times and cultures, and cannot be claimed as absolute and incontestable. Thus the side that said it does not matter, would win by default.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I'm not sure how "science" (as you call it) can possibly say that a subjective preference is wrong.

Surveys and studies could show (for example) that more people drink wine than beer, and that wine is better for you, and that it gives the drinker just as good a buzz as beer does. And yet, some people will always prefer beer and actively avoid wine.

It's personal preference, like somebody already said.

pete543

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm not sure how "science" (as you call it) can possibly say that a subjective preference is wrong.

Surveys and studies could show (for example) that more people drink wine than beer, and that wine is better for you, and that it gives the drinker just as good a buzz as beer does. And yet, some people will always prefer beer and actively avoid wine.

It's personal preference, like somebody already said.

Yeah but if its simply personal preference, then you forfeit the truth of the proposition that big penises are better.....

hungteen19921992

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's not even a matter of science, but a matter of preference.

It would be the same as you saying "Science has proven that vanilla is better than chocolate; how can the opposition respond to that?".

There has been no "clear" or "definitive" test that has "confirmed" whether it matters or not, as if it is some one-off and clear-cut answereable question.

pete543

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It's not even a matter of science, but a matter of preference.

It would be the same as you saying "Science has proven that vanilla is better than chocolate; how can the opposition respond to that?".

There has been no "clear" or "definitive" test that has "confirmed" whether it matters or not, as if it is some one-off and clear-cut answereable question.

Okay. Lets be clear here. I'm not talking about people who think penis size preference is simply a matter of taste. I'm talking about people who assert that penis size matters, and that bigger is better than small. There is a difference. Like I said, there is substantive evidence that only a small population of girls "prefers" larger penises. Suppose studies showed only a small population preferred vanilla to chocolate, but people who preferred vanilla continually asserted vanilla was absolutely better, then used as a justification that no "clear or "definitive" test as confirmed which is better...

hungteen19921992

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Okay. Lets be clear here. I'm not talking about people who think penis size preference is simply a matter of taste. I'm talking about people who assert that penis size matters, and that bigger is better than small. There is a difference. Like I said, there is substantive evidence that only a small population of girls "prefers" larger penises. Suppose studies showed only a small population preferred vanilla to chocolate, but people who preferred vanilla continually asserted vanilla was absolutely better, then used as a justification that no "clear or "definitive" test as confirmed which is better...

So you're saying if a majority prefers something, that makes the minority scientifically invalid.

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm talking about social scientists such as psychologists and sociologists. Many well designed studies have shown that females believe males overemphasize the importance of size and that it is a small minority of females that prefer a larger man.

But some women do prefer a large penis, as do many (most?) gay men. And even straight men are fascinated by them.

If we are to look at a purely cultural analysis, its obvious that the preference for a large penis is purely cultural, since no biological reason through sexual or natural selection can be found. This means the preference for size can change across times and cultures, and cannot be claimed as absolute and incontestable. Thus the side that said it does not matter, would win by default.

Not at all.
If a preference for size is not absolute or incontestable. that does not mean it does not matter.
It only means it does not matter when it does not matter.

The relatively greater preoccupation of men with penis size may of course be cultural, but it could equally be a reflection of the male view, seen in so many settings, that bigger is simply better (cars, houses, muscles, office, etc.; I think the list is long).
This could certainly be cultural, but it could also reflect a kind of inbuilt thinking very broadly shared by males. Males and females have very different apparently inbuilt attitudes to all kinds of things. You will see great differences between male and female infants on many matters. Moreover, certain diseases that affect hormones may convert a child's preferences in play and dress to those of the opposite sex. (If I had time, I would go looking for a few examples, but I don't.) These seem to suggest some primacy of nature over nurture.
Culture explains a great deal, but we are not tabulae rasae.

Besides all of which remains the point, made by several others, that science can't say much about human preference.

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Well, you're leaving out men.

In other news, if you're simply making a point that people who get dogmatic about the superiority of large penises as though it's an absolute fact are wrong ... I don't see how anyone can argue with you.

pete543

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
"Besides all of which remains the point, made by several others, that science can't say much about human preference."

If you believe the truth value of this proposition than your opinions stray a little bit from the intellectual mainstream, and your faith in empiricism is a bit low. Do you not consider a large portion of well designed experiments in psychology and sociology to be valid?

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you believe the truth value of this proposition than your opinions stray a little bit from the intellectual mainstream, and your faith in empiricism is a bit low. Do you not consider a large portion of well designed experiments in psychology and sociology to be valid?
Of course. But this point is irrelevant.
I can consider a large proportion of experiments valid without saying that an experiment can address every question.
And among the questions that would seem out of bounds would be questions of the validity of a preference.
That is not the province of scientific experiment.

pete543

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Of course. But this point is irrelevant.
I can consider a large proportion of experiments valid without saying that an experiment can address every question.
And among the questions that would seem out of bounds would be questions of the validity of a preference.
That is not the province of scientific experiment.

But when did I ever say that any experiments showed that one or the other preference was valid or invalid? Not sure if you are familiar with any studies in this field, but like I said, they show most women believe men overemphasize the importance of penis size and that it is a small minority of men who prefer larger penises. This does not entail the validity of a preference, but rather that one of the preferences is rare.