Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
My problem with her is that she lied about discrimination and lied on applications and formulated stories for her agenda, all while posing as a Black woman. If she had been honest and done her job as a white woman for the NAACP, no problem. However, she lied, while doing a modern version of "black face" and sued a university and did some other things claiming to be a Black woman, which negate the good that she could have done for the community. That is where the problem lies. I think we haven't seen the last of this story...and she is going to continue to play victim, while she created her own problems.

Simon9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A lot of people are surprised Rachel got away with pretending to be black. I'm not really that surprised. Yeah, she looks essentially white but I'm sure most people assumed she was 3/4 or 7/8 white and that's as much black as many American "blacks" who self-identify as black have. And I'm sure she "acted" black; probably laid it on with a trowel. Who's going to risk igniting the wrath of a black woman by questioning her ethnicity?

I'm glad she's been found out of course. We don't need another uppity caucasianess. And if that's not a word, well, it is now.

Reactions: prepstudinsc

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, let's think about this; She's probably not the only person to identify with another race;
Take Chief "Iron Eyes" Cody;aka Espera Oscar de Corti
He wasn't at all Native American, but an immigrated Sicilian who lived in Louisiana with his wife and two brothers.
Later on, took up acting, and assimilated Native American lifestyle, and claimed to have Cherokee Cree blood, yet nobody questioned it. And for a clean 66 yrs up till the time of his death in 1999, he acted in many films. And also made those public safety announcements in the '70s as the crying Indian.
That's a helluva accomplishment for someone who didn't have a drop of Native American blood in him

ColonelLingus

Superior Member
Media
Apparently you don't like what you perceive as the "liberal agenda", in this case a transgender issue; therefore you are taking a completely different issue and trying prove how ridiculous "liberals" are.
No actually i think its a rather liberating question. I legit want to understand why that cant be? Why cant a white identify as black its just as perplexing as a penis thinking its a vagina.

Simon9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, let's think about this; She's probably not the only person to identify with another race;
He wasn't at all Native American, but an immigrated Sicilian who lived in Louisiana with his wife and two brothers.
Later on, took up acting, and assimilated Native American lifestyle, and claimed to have Cherokee Cree blood, yet nobody questioned it. And for a clean 66 yrs up till the time of his death in 1999, he acted in many films. And also made those public safety announcements in the '70s as the crying Indian.
That's a helluva accomplishment for someone who didn't have a drop of Native American blood in him
True. And then there's Elizabeth Warren, AKA "White Squaw" and "Fauxcahontas".

http://elizabethwarrenwiki.org/elizabeth-warren-native-american-cherokee-controversy/

She's claimed "Native American" descent and used it to her advantage in college and in her job hunting. But, like Espera de Corti, she's not actually native American genetically. However one of her also white ancestors (great grandfather, I think) was an honorary inductee into the Cherokee tribe and she has used that to establish her bona fides. Or so it's said.

OTOH, I'm sure there have been many people of African and native America descent who could and did pass for white.

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wiki says he was born in Louisiana .

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That actually wasn't much of an explanation. Basically all it said was "gender is not a matter of fixed categories, but race is", without providing any defense of that "Viewpoint".
I don't understand how gender is somehow no longer considered a fixed category either. Can surgery change a Y chromosome to X? Is reality really optional?

On topic, Maya Rudolph's impression of Dolezal was somewhat chuckle worthy. See youtube for details.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Not to get too deep into the conversation, I know some Latin and Asian guys who are wayyyyyyyy blacker than i am Not in the shade of their skin tone; but by their speech and general way of acting. No they are not putting on an act they just associate with Urban African American Culture and outside of their parents home present themselves as such.

When I was younger, I had had some people of African American descent tell me I am not black enough because i did not grow up where they did, went to the wrong school, spoke relatively proper English; or dressed simi-conservatively. They tried to decided who was black based on the benchmarks they themselves set. Sadly these benchmarks were set relatively low.

I come from an old Family whose history spans most of that of America. I have branches of my family tree that the people look 100% Caucasian and some branches that look dark ad night, so as expected every shade and variation exists on the over all trees branches.

When I heard the story about the lady and the NAACP, as much as I was initially pissed off, I had to see if she did a capable job while there. If I had 100% faulted her for her lie, then I would have to fault every other person who applied for school admission, for a loan or a job and told a small untruth as to their own ethnic make up in the hopes of bettering their application.

Just me commenting

Ro.

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yep. My bad, but he still was the son of Sicilian immigrants, thus making him NOT NATIVE AMERICAN.
Well he was married to a native, so maybe he is native by injection? Or does that injection thing only work for females? Native by insertion maybe?

Bardox

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
~Rant time~
Identifying and empathizing with a group of people is one thing. It's entirely different when you dress up and pretend to be something you're not and try to live your life by a standard that is not yours. I am a black woman because I
dyed my hair and I'm really tan and I can just "feel" the blackness in me. I am a woman because I got a boob job, had my adams apple cut out, and grew my hair out and "feel" like a woman inside. It doesn't work that way. Even if Rachel Dolezal tattooed her entire body midnight black, shaved her head, got hair plugs of a black woman's hair, and lived in an all black neighborhood for 30 years, she would still be a white girl that altered her body so she could pretend to be something she's not. Even if Caitlyn Jenner went back to the surgeon and got his lower half done, he would still be a dude, just with a professionally mutilated body.

If you agree with the idea that a white girl can one day just choose to "become" a black girl or that a 65 year old man can one day choose to "become" a 65 year old woman simply because they feel it to be true, don't you ever complain about a homophobic preacher in
Mississippi calling Homosexuality a "choice" or a mental illness that needs to be "fixed".

Rachel will never be black and Caitlyn will never be a woman. They can alter their bodies and change their names to better blend in with the crowd they want to be associated with, but they will never be one of them.
~Rant over,commence crucifixion~

Reactions: malakos

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
~Rant time~
Identifying and empathizing with a group of people is one thing. It's entirely different when you dress up and pretend to be something you're not and try to live your life by a standard that is not yours. I am a black woman because I
dyed my hair and I'm really tan and I can just "feel" the blackness in me. I am a woman because I got a boob job, had my adams apple cut out, and grew my hair out and "feel" like a woman inside. It doesn't work that way. Even if Rachel Dolezal tattooed her entire body midnight black, shaved her head, got hair plugs of a black woman's hair, and lived in an all black neighborhood for 30 years, she would still be a white girl that altered her body so she could pretend to be something she's not. Even if Caitlyn Jenner went back to the surgeon and got his lower half done, he would still be a dude, just with a professionally mutilated body.

If you agree with the idea that a white girl can one day just choose to "become" a black girl or that a 65 year old man can one day choose to "become" a 65 year old woman simply because they feel it to be true, don't you ever complain about a homophobic preacher in
Mississippi calling Homosexuality a "choice" or a mental illness that needs to be "fixed".

Rachel will never be black and Caitlyn will never be a woman. They can alter their bodies and change their names to better blend in with the crowd they want to be associated with, but they will never be one of them.
~Rant over,commence crucifixion~

Crucifixion? Nah. That'd only occur if we were completely surprised, shocked, disappointed or outraged by your comments.

As they are, they're pretty much par for the course, considering the source.

Other than that which I pointed out (via a link to an op-ed earlier on) I for one don't see what's so wrong about people choosing not to fit whatever mold others have carved out for them, or with those who are compelled, by whatever drives them, to seek comfort in their own skin, whether via alteration or not.

Bardox

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Crucifixion? Nah. That'd only occur if we were completely surprised, shocked, disappointed or outraged by your comments.

As they are, they're pretty much par for the course, considering the source.

Other than that which I pointed out (via a link to an op-ed earlier on) I for one don't see what's so wrong about people choosing not to fit whatever mold others have carved out for them, or with those who are compelled, by whatever drives them, to seek comfort in their own skin, whether via alteration or not.
You seem to suggest that I think what they have done is morally "wrong" in some way. No, that is not what I said nor meant in anyway. I have no problem with them making alterations to their bodies if that's what it takes for them to feel comfortable "in their own skin". That's fine. What is not fine is trying to pass yourself off as something you're not and insist others think of you and treat you as what you are pretending to be instead of what you are. It's validating a lie. It's no different than a person saying "I was gay, but after going to bible boot camp and having my soul crushed, I'm back in line with Christ. All through the power of prayer, the miracle of scripture, and electroshock therapy."

Reactions: malakos