Romney vs. Hurricane Sandy

D

deleted15807

Why does politics have to mix with a natural disaster. I'm from NJ and experienced the hurricane and its power.

Perhaps because they are goverment agencies whose mission it is to help citizens during a natural disaster. Recall Hurricane Katrina.

Just trying to make Romney look bad. And failing.

Care to do a poll on that? I suspect his position on FEMA would poll lower than Bush's and Hurricane Katrina. Let the states handle it. Right. Romney didn't respond to the reporters question because he knew how his answer would poll. Unless he did one his patented flip-flops.

Last edited by a moderator:

At.your.cervix

Superior Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You do know that Romney has lent his campaign buses for disaster relief right?

Hmm, let me think. . .a single campaign bus to help those impacted by Sandy or FEMA going in and helping businesses and communities in half a dozen states to rebuild. I don't know, they both sound like they'll help those folks out about the same.

That's just it with Romney and the other Republicans who want to eliminate the Federal Government's ability to respond to those in need, and replace it with individual charitable acts. Quite frequently, those nice individual acts just fall short--very short.

Of course, nobody wants a bloated federal or local government. But we all benefit from having a safety net to help when individual efforts just cannot do what we need for them to do. That's the same rationalle for having a strong standing federal military, instead of the local and state militias which typified colonial defenses.

Then again, I live in Philadelphia and have friends who either live or own summer homes in the New Jersey coastal communities, and will be grateful for any federal help which their towns might recieve.

D_Adam_Baldwon

Account Disabled
Media
Well, I don't want to feed into this political battle that is raging on this thread, but I do understand that government does play a role in helping to rebuild places after a natural disaster, especially one that is on such a grand scale, like Hurricane Sandy. Now whether that is done on a local, state or federal government can be debated till the end of time. But what I don't enjoy is how people use the loss of property and life at the expense of their own political gain.

BigCockKs

Sexy Member
Media
What a bunch of fucking idiots! Why and how do you turn a storm that is causing human suffering and turn it into a political issue? Fucking scum. Get a grip on reality and understand that politics and all the rich boys who play it have ZERO interest in your opinions. And unless your are in an electoral college district, they don't even fucking care about your vote! Seriously get over yourselves!

D

deleted15807

Well, I don't want to feed into this political battle that is raging on this thread, but I do understand that government does play a role in helping to rebuild places after a natural disaster, especially one that is on such a grand scale, like Hurricane Sandy. Now whether that is done on a local, state or federal government can be debated till the end of time. But what I don't enjoy is how people use the loss of property and life at the expense of their own political gain.

It's not so much for political 'gain' as for political 'loss' if you dare ignore the suffering.

As Government Reacts to Sandy, Lessons from Katrina and Other Natural Disasters

AtomicMouse1950

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Obama will get blamed for something because attacking Obama is far more important than the welfare of hurricane-ravaged people. Let's wait and see, shall we?

tick tock...

As for Libya, well, you just proved Fuzzy's point. :rolleyes:

Let's hope NYC has their power back soon.

The President has already been blamed for Sandy. Remember "yer doin a heck of a job Brownie"? Well he made a statement today, saying that our President has acted too early. As if acting too late with Katrina was the right thing to do.

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Why does politics have to mix with a natural disaster. I'm from NJ and experienced the hurricane and its power. Luckily, everyone I know is safe, and aside from trees being uprooted and power lines knocked down, I consider myself to be one of the more fortunate ones who haven't lost everything. I just think it's inconsiderate (especially when people have died) to use a natural disaster to espouse their political beliefs.
I'm glad that you, your family, and friends made it through. I made it through Hurricane Andrew so I know what you went through. Hope life gets back to normal very quickly.:smile:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I echo the sentiment. Seeing those homes sitting in water could not help but bring tears to the eyes...been there...done that.

BUT

Given the urgency of the situation (the election being only six days away) and the position of one of the candidates, Romney, who opposed federal disaster relief, at one time calling it "immoral", I think it IMPERATIVE that voters are aware of this guy's feelings re. the much needed relief that helps states and the citizenry rebuild their homes, infrastructure, roads, etc. and gives people support and hope that somebody got their backs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-weiler/mitt-romney-fema_b_2045760.html

The president declares an area a "disaster" to free up and put into motion this assistance.

Bad enough those on the right deny the realities of "global warming" so to better allow industry to drill, operate, and polute, unfettered by government regulation.

But the idea that (as Romney proposes) support from the federal government is not needed and that states should be able to fend for themselves in times of crises is in MY view (as one who has personally lost most of what I had in such a catastrophe) ABSOLUTELY MORONIC, to say the least, and demonstrates ONCE AGAIN how COMPLETELY OUT OF TOUCH MITT ROMNEY IS to the NEEDS OF PEOPLE.

That's not political. That's a fucking FACT. And people need to wake up before it's too late.

Last edited:

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
apart from all the political stuff associated with this (and God bless Chris Christie for his blunt honesty!!) I used to take vacations in Ocean City, NJ (beautiful place!!) The population is normally 35,000 in off-season, but swells to over 350,000 during the summer! Can you just imagine what might have happened if a storm like Sandy had hit during the peak tourist season up and down the East Coast! Whew!! Just a short diversion from the OP's intention!

D_Adam_Baldwon

Account Disabled
Media
I'm glad that you, your family, and friends made it through. I made it through Hurricane Andrew so I know what you went through. Hope life gets back to normal very quickly.:smile:

Thank you for your kind words. It's much appreciated. The scary thing is, is that I remember reading an article several years ago about the top 5 most vulnerable places to get hit by a hurricane. Atlantic City and New York City were in the top 5. I remember reading it, and thinking, well, it may happen but not for a while. Was I wrong. I also remember watching a program on TV and they had one of those what-if scenarios, of what would happen if NYC got hit by a hurricane. They mentioned flooding in lower Manhattan and in the subways, along with windows in skyscrapers being blown out, and much more devastation. Of course, the scenario would have been if a Cat 3 or higher hurricane were to aim directly at the city. I think Irene last year was sort of a prelude to Sandy. I hate to say it, but I have a feeling these storms which are considered to be unprecedented are now going to become more of a norm.

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thank you for your kind words. It's much appreciated. The scary thing is, is that I remember reading an article several years ago about the top 5 most vulnerable places to get hit by a hurricane. Atlantic City and New York City were in the top 5. I remember reading it, and thinking, well, it may happen but not for a while. Was I wrong. I also remember watching a program on TV and they had one of those what-if scenarios, of what would happen if NYC got hit by a hurricane. They mentioned flooding in lower Manhattan and in the subways, along with windows in skyscrapers being blown out, and much more devastation. Of course, the scenario would have been if a Cat 3 or higher hurricane were to aim directly at the city. I think Irene last year was sort of a prelude to Sandy. I hate to say it, but I have a feeling these storms which are considered to be unprecedented are now going to become more of a norm.
A co-worker and I were discussing this today. One would not expect New York to have to worry much about hurricanes. Blizzards, but not hurricanes. It''s got to be hard to deny that climate change is having an effect on weather patterns. We're seeing more storms and they tend to be much stronger than storms of the past. Hurricane Andrew caused us to make changes here in Florida and I'm sure there will be some changes all along the eastern seaboard too after Sandy.

Nothing political here to discuss(at least on my part). Now is the time to heal and move forward.

Red Cross In Need Of Donations For Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts - Local News - Davenport, IA | NBC News
American Red Cross | Disaster Relief, CPR Certification, Donate Blood

sizequeenNY

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I am in NY where multiple friends have lost homes. Some close to me have also been without power since Sunday. There has not been transportation in my area since Sunday eve. I find zero humor in this thread. Right now, New Yorkers just need help and it doesn't matter if it is delivered by FEMA, local government, or individuals. If you actually care about helping, text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation if you are in the area or visit nyredcross.org for immediate volunteer opportunities and donation options. Tomorrow I have the unfortunate task of trying to salvage what is left after a friend's home was submerged

Bardox

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Forgot about this thread. Guess I should have posted this here...

I've made my opinion about these auto ad lies quite clear. Here's another False Claim. Romney said he would donate his campaign bus to transport goods to the states effected by Sandy. Turning a campaign rally into a donation drive. I thought that was the first sign of humanity from him. Then I read this...

"the last-minute nature of the call for donations left some in the campaign concerned that they would end up with an empty truck. So the night before the event, campaign aides went to a local Wal-Mart and spent $5,000 on granola bars, canned food, and diapers to put on display while they waited for donations to come in, according to one staffer."

As supporters lined up to greet the candidate, a young volunteer in a Romney/Ryan T-shirt stood near the tables, his hands cupped around his mouth, shouting, "You need a donation to get in line!" The volunteer gestured toward a pile of groceries conveniently stacked near the candidate. "Just grab something," he said. When it was their turn, they handed their "donations" to Romney. He took them, smiled, and offered an earnest "Thank you."

Some people did show up with donations, but you couldn't see Romney unless you had something in your hands. And they just happen to have a stack to choose from. Whole damn thing was a photo op. Didn't think this guy could be more callous. Seems I was wrong.... btw those goods still haven't made it to the coast.