Social Attitudes towards Hairy Guys

Trevor1961

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
A few weeks ago, in the “Ask a Woman” forum, a thread was started by a guy who recounted incidents when a woman/girlfriend rejected sex because he had a hairy back. The advice given was that confidence was the key to overcoming this.

This thread is about the SOCIAL (not sexual) aspects of being hairy and I’m posting this in both the “Ask a Woman” and “Ask a Man” forums to gauge opinion.

Decades ago, while having a hairy back and shoulders, while a bit unusual, were nevertheless seen from time to time (guys in their gardens, at the swimming pool or on the beach). Furthermore, they were not really made to feel self-conscious about it. Fast forward to modern times and there seems to be a substantial tide against hairy guys at the social level. It has got to the point that hairy guys have all but disappeared from public view.

In this age against body-shaming, hairy backs are the one area that seem to be exempt from this and that many people have no hesitation in being rude about. The implication is that guys who are much hairier than average are brutal, apelike, ugly, dirty, smelly and “do not care” about their appearance. I have been likened to a gorilla on more than one occasion.

I’m a member of British Naturism, and on the forums on their website so many would parrot the “just be yourself” line, but it is never advice they follow themselves, being depilated to the hilt, saying how clean being hair-free is.

I can either conform to this mentality and wax, shave or just keep covered, or (as I’m inclined to do) be defiant and not hide it away. After all, its only hair and also a perfectly normal and natural part of the way I’m made. However, am I violating some unwritten rule that by going shirtless or in a vest (US – tank top), that I’m being perhaps indecent whereas a smooth guy would get away with it.

The attached pics (downloaded from Flickr) show a guy showing impressive fur in public. From the context, he is (or was) a groundsman in the Central Cemetery in Vienna. This cemetery, which is rather larger than the Principality of Monaco would be no doubt attract many tourists owing to the famous people buried in the cemetery – notably classical composers such as Beethoven and Schubert. It is impressive that this guy seems completely at ease in his hirsuteness being on show to all. Also, he does not look brutal or bearish and nobody would suspect such body hair if he was wearing a suit.

It would be great if more hairy guys would have the same nonchalance about his fur and that others who post to internet forums and make personal comments be less weird about it.

Thoughts, please.

Attachments

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I can say my partner has his moments of his fuzziness bothering him.

he says previous partners were all about him keeping it under control.
One with alopecia universalis, so that one made some sense.

Now, I notice when he’s taken the clippers to it, and unless it makes stubble, I don’t have an opinion, just a personal leaning toward we are mammals, we have hair.

stubble sucks.

Reactions: Mule and caddymac

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am married to a follically enhanced male, and I believe he understands certain attitudes towards his hairiness.

He even confessed once during intimacy that he thought about getting himself waxed for me. I told him I had no desire to make love to a naked mole rat. I love his hair! My fingers get lost in his chest.

So, I don't think he even gives it a second thought anymore.