Steam room rules?

Jean Deaux

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes. I am making a trip to Australia next year and wonder about steam rooms downunder. Will be on a fast moving tour but like to relax at the end of the day.

Are steamrooms uptight or let it all hang out?

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I work very part time at a gym called L A Fitness, and they require towel cover up at all times...

If they do, that's a local thing. I'm an LA fitness member, and I can asure you that there is no such rule at the locations I use (Orange COunty, CA). Although everyone follows their personal preference, many guys use the steam room and dry sauna naked. The only rules about cover apply to the co-ed areas, such as the spa and pool, where a swimsuit is required.

big-strong

Experimental Member
Media
After a rough workout with weights, I use a steam or sauna for some of my stretching. I saw men doing this when in Asia, Hong Kong, where a man would lie on a bench with his towel beneath him; he would then raise his legs above his head. Nobody seemed to take offense or act surprised even with a bit of grunting from the stretcher. I ve tried this myself and the heat helps the muscles to relax. I ve also done this post jacuzzi tub and its just as effective.

Anyone else try this ?

JohnDoeXXXm

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
i agree that a guy should follow his own comfort level- but for the comfort of others, I think that a dry sauna and/or steam room should NOT be a place for physical exercise or exertion. No one sitting in my steam room wants to watch or listen to some jerk grunting as he touches his toes or does situps naked on the bench. That's what the gym area is for. The sauna(s) are for relaxation, contemplation, and SILENCE.

scorpio1444

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I prefer to sit naked on my towel in the steamroom, but it all depends. If I go in there and there's 3 others already who are covered up, I'll generally just go with the flow and cover up too so as not to call attention to myself. Sometimes I like lying on my back on the towel but will sit up in a normal position if someone else comes in. I'm perfectly comfortable and prefer to be naked in there, but not in a way that is literally or figuratively "in your face."

Heynowfolks

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
{I'm from the USA}

I can't believe that there is concern about nudity in a steam room or locker room... heck when I was in middle school, when we swam in the pool we were all nude. Of course, to answer the obvious next question, they separated men/women. No, we never figured out a way to get into the pool area when the girls were swimming. I have trouble understanding all this concern about being nude around people of the same gender ! What a strange country we live in.

Reactions: RSMH

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
1. If you are a gay do not wear your glasses in the steamroom. You'll look too desperate.

2. Do not stand in front of the steam vent unless you want blistered calves.

3. When you step or sit on something slimy chances are good that it is NOT spit.

4. If a man wears his bathing suit into the steamroom chances are good that he is straight or has a small dick.

Freeballeruk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The last gym i went to here in uk was a very 'safe' one the steam room was off the pool area and mixed so no nudity,just short/trunks.
the one i used before that had a men only steam room i'd say about 70% of guys were naked in there,myself included.
first time i went in there with a straight mate he was shocked that i dropped towel on seat and sat there naked (find it iritating to get hot n sweaty with elastic waistbands etc)-I was shocked that he had swim shorts on with underwear and carried a towel. He likes to think he's cool-that proved otherwise,he told various mates about me 'not caring' and got mixed responses.
So guess it's down to individuals.
I would say that if you take children into a one sex sauna you should be ok with them seeing bodies in all their shapes and sizes.

art

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Our gym doesn't have a steam room, but it has a sauna between the men's locker room and the showers. (I don't know what the women have.)

When I use the sauna, I walk in with a towel either in my hand or draped over my shoulder. I fold it up and sit naked on it. I think it's pointless to wear any sort of clothing in the sauna.

I've seen people either sitting naked, or with a towel draped over their genitals. I talk to people, regardless of how they're dressed (or not dressed).

One guy was wearing a workout suit, doing warmup stretching exercises in the sauna neat to the rock box (whatever that's called). He insisted on talking to me about the difference between the spirit and the soul. I have no problem discussing religion with anyone, but I thought it somewhat weird that he was fully dressed (I'd say overdressed!) while I was naked. We pretended it was normal, and after about 10 minutes he exited.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Wear the towel. It's distracting otherwise when talking.

I don't get that at all.

When I was a kid my dad took my brother and me to his club every other weekend when we visited him and into the sauna even though supposedly you weren't supposed to unless you were 18 (so a sign said). No one ever wore clothing or towels there or anywhere in the locker rooms or showers and it always seemed perfectly natural to us. I don't see why being children should have anything to do with it and I don't understand this country's unnatural preoccupation with healthy nudity.

Reactions: RSMH

Spaguy

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I work out in a gym/spa four times a week. We have a men's area with lockers, private showes, steam room, sauna, hot tubs, etc. Men walk around naked, in robes, or with towels, but use the sauna, hot tubs, steam room, etc in the nude. Most cover up from one to the other, some don't. It doesn't appear that anyone gets their nose out of place either way. We have two hot tubs and it is a little odd when a man jumps into the same tub as another when the other is empty, but I figure they either want company or are hoping for a glimpse.

dipping

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
nudity is a given in steam rooms or sauna. Best place to be a guy and bond with others. Sit on a towel for hygene, but be naked!

seabud206

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Str8 and married guy here and I prefer to be able to relax and unwind after working out in the steam and sauna. I see from work and neighborhood and isnt a big deal to be honest.

Hjobber

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I am a Ballys member and they require bathing suits worn in the steam and sauna. It is stupid, but I guess they want to keep the "playing around" at a minimum.

DirtyBoy777

Experimental Member
Media
I am a Ballys member and they require bathing suits worn in the steam and sauna. It is stupid, but I guess they want to keep the "playing around" at a minimum.

My gym does also, which totally pisses me off. I wear a skimpy squarecut speedo with outside drawstring, but leave the drawstring untied. If "The Boy" decides to start stirring, he has plenty of room to maneuver. If no one else is in the steam room, I sometimes haul out my cock and stroke it, especially when the room is filled with steam. Feels awesome.

I really don't "get" this prudish notion that swimwear be required in a sauna or steam room in a men's locker room.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Unfortunately my gym (or at least the branch closest to my house) has a co-ed steam room, so bathing suits are required. It sucks and is the only thing I hate about my gym. After a work out, especially if I've done weight training, I've always found a long steam to be an awesome unwind and really refreshing. But I cannot stand to have a bathing suit on in a steam room, it makes me feel gross and uncomfortable.

I much prefer steaming fully nude and sit or lay on a towel. It's just more comfortable for me. I'm not shy, and in fact I kinda dig it when I'm getting checked out, so I don't have a problem with guys enjoying the view of me naked.

horneyoldguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I take in two towels, both of which I am carrying. I don't wrap anything around my waist as some guys do. One towel is used to sit on the tile bench and the other for my back and head so I can lean against the tiled wall and if I am lucky I can lay back and spread out on the bench. However, if it is crowded then sit spread eagle. I don't make it a practice to cover up either in the steamroom or lockerroom and if the others there want to look or not is up to them.

Be naked and enjoy the freedom.