Swimming naked at school/clubs

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
In today's Boston Globe there was a letter to the editor touching on this thread. It was a follow-up to an article in Monday's Globe about a swimming requirement for graduation from certain local colleges and universities (including MIT):

It was a pool of hard knocks

Northwestern University men in the late 1960s also had to swim four laps to graduate ("Time to sink or graduate,'' Page A1, May 8).

And, since pool hours were segregated by gender, you swam it in the buff.

Thus, as you stood before the test, miserable and shivering, in the long line of exuberant, joking, naked men who plainly had swum like fish all their lives, you faced double humiliation: First, you were going to drown; and then, when they hauled your skinny, sorry, bleached-white body up from the bottom of the pool, you would be denied the minimal dignity afforded by a pair of swim trunks.

aussietango

Just Browsing
Media
Swimming naked in the uk is prob fairly limited however if you are in london there is a [mostly] gay swim club at limited times where costumes are optional. i understand straight guys frequent it also... also all ages but i'm sure they will welcome you if you contact me maybe i can find the information for you

Christiaan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
aussietango said:
Swimming naked in the uk is prob fairly limited however if you are in london there is a [mostly] gay swim club at limited times where costumes are optional. i understand straight guys frequent it also... also all ages but i'm sure they will welcome you if you contact me maybe i can find the information for you

I wasn't sure if this was a thread for Yanks only, but since you added your thoughts, I'll make a comment too.

In Europe, on the Continent and the UK both, when you go to the beach, you change into your swimming costume on the beach, so there is that nudity, but there's no display made of your bits, such as turning about several times. In Netherlands and other countries there are areas set aside for going starkers to sun and swim. The Dutch say that most often, it's the Germans who are known to enjoy going starkers the best.

Women taking sun sans the top of their costume is not uncommon, everyone knows women have tits and there's little attention paid to it.

In my area of Netherlands, Noord-Brabant, Gelderland and Limburg, unless its at a uni like in Nijmegen, you don't see swimming pools in schools so much and since public pools are used by both sexes, going starkers isn't a matter of prudishness, rather it just isn't on for obvious reasons.

I suppose that in A'dam, there are gay saunas or pools, but I'm not really part of that scene and I don't remember my cousin or his husband who live in Haarlem (18 km) ever mentioning them. Most gays in Netherlands tend to patronize gay clubs rather than looking for a pool to swim starkers in - to us, there doesn't seem to be much point in it.

That said, very brief Speedos, both the bikini types and now square cut, which give good hints of what's packaged inside are still very popular.My cousin did say that at popular swimming beaches like Scheveningen, you now see some lads wearing those wretched, loose, boxer style, costumes which I guess is an influence from America - more's the pity. At other places like Texel, across from Den Helder, where Germans like to holiday with their caravans, starkers is more the norm.

Christiaan

ophion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
ds797 said:
Added some stuff to my profile now :)

So where can I go where people my own age will be swimming naked that would be so hot.

Cheers.
Try looking on the british naturism webpage, and do a search on your area, you might find something.

http://www.british-naturism.org.uk/

I should say though, that if you are going to a naturism event for sexual gratification it kinda goes against all that they stand for.

Still no harm in looking!!!

will9will

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't know if it is still open since Hurricane Katrina, but there was a fantastic outdoor pool in New Orleans at a member's only club called "The Country Club" in a beautiful setting that had nude swimming and sunbathing. Anyone could join at the door. It was not a bath house, no sex as I recall, but a great, friendly atmosphere with a bar near the pool. Crowded on weekends.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Who knows why it stopped? Maybe it was for money reasons. They need as many people as possible to use the facilities. These days, it seems like men sit in front of the tv instead of exercising. Plus, men only clubs have been sued by women libbers nonstop. They sued to gain access. I wish it was still seperate. oooooo the eye strain I'd get.

Ionto

Sexy Member
Media
In Paris nude swimming has become almost mainstream.

It used to be one naturist group one evening a week (mixed men and women though 75% male), then two evenings. Last spring, the Paris swimming pools advertised times of nude swimming. So some things improve !

lokican

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
montroyal88 said:
There is a place called Sauna 456 here with a nice indoor pool and nude swimming. The deck that surrounds it has comfy sofas and a big screen TV so it's a nice place to spend a lazy afternoon.

It is more or less a bathhouse, but it is really close to campus so it attracts horny str8 guys as well. I wish there were more mainstream pools that offered a nude swim, at least during certain times during the week.

Time to start a nudist club I guess. I would kill to be in charge of membership :)

-Ryan

Wow the things you miss when you grow up in the West Island, lol only people for Montreal will get that one. Montroyal88 where in mtl are you from?

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Well there's a very nice place here in the bywater area of N.O. that has a large sundeck, a bar, etc. and all clothes optional. It was seriously damaged by the storm but it's back up and running now.

jimthej00

Just Browsing
Media
i live in southern california and my building has a pool and (inground) jacuzzi. since there are families here, suits are mandatory before ten pm, but afterward it's pretty lax. i was swimming naked tonight around midnight with two girls and a guy, just goofing off and having fun, and as long as we kept it quiet, the manager didn't mind.

Also, when the assistant coach was in charge, the slowest guy in a heat or relay would have to toss his suit until he redeemed himself. Of course, that created more drag and made it even more likely he would not finish well.

Unleess he was extremely well endowed, swimming naked wouldn't slow him down.

I can't find my references, but in the 70s early 80s the East German nationl swim is reputed to have experimented with racing nude and it's reported that there was an average of a 1 second improvment in time over the 100 metres. :biggrin1:

M

Mr Ed in Mass

I swam nude at the YMCA in the late 60's.Boston also had a gay swin night at a local health club where nudity was mandatory.

open501s

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have a swimming pool, and I don't own a swim suit.

In school we would break into the school pool and skinny dip. The first time I did it; it just felt right.

Swimming with anything wrong just isn't the same.

Have a clothing optional camp ground I goto and nude water vally ball is just perfect in the summer.

The swim suit is just wrong.

StarofShow

Experimental Member
Media
I remember a report on NPR some time ago, and Diana Nyad (sp?) reported that some studies were done, and naked swimming slowed down the swimmer, and speeds were increased when a suit was worn, especially the now-popular fast skins. Unfortunately (smile).

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Reading posts on the internet it seems that some schools in America and United Kingdom used to have nude swimming (something to do with not clogging the pool filters).

Can someone explain to me why swimming nude would be any better for the pool filters? Presumably filters, if they clog, would clog with hair. Swimsuits cover some hair, of course, although pubic hair would presumably have less potential to cause clogs than head hair would.

They can't be worried about people's swimsuits coming off and getting sucked into the filters, can they? :rolleyes: