The Gospel According to Santorum

upone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I find it strange that having been raised Catholic in an overwhelmingly Catholic country, I find Santorum's brand of Catholism to be very foreign and creepy.

Public polling tends to be "racehorse" polling without breaking down who is running well with various groups, but when voter distribution is broken down across various groups, one very notable anomaly appears: Although Santorum is Catholic, he does not receive majority support from either Catholics generally, nor from Republican Catholics. Strangely, his most unified voting group are self-described conservative Protestant evangelicals--Who, incidentally, also tend to be the only social group left who are majority anti-Catholic.

One measure of the ignorance of religious conservatives is to look at Eric Cantor's Facebook page--A remarkable number of his fans praise his "Christian values". I have been told that the employee who moderates his page started removing them, but they still appear.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
One measure of the ignorance of religious conservatives is to look at Eric Cantor's Facebook page--A remarkable number of his fans praise his "Christian values". I have been told that the employee who moderates his page started removing them, but they still appear.

I'm sure for a lot of these people, since Cantor has the "right stuff," his Judaism must be some unfortunate aberration, and he's really a "good Christian" underneath.

Wonder how Cantor feels about that.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
Last few days Ricky seems like he is going off the rails...........he might not make it to the convention before they take him away for a little ''rest''.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yes. I've been thinking for a week that he is going to defeat himself with these looney ideas. Too bad...

His latest is that JFK's statement that he would not let his religion influence his actions as President, "makes me want to throw up".

When he was running for President, there was a lot of talk about the Pope telling him what to do. Kennedy called for an America “where no Catholic prelate would tell the president (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference; and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the president who might appoint him or the people who might elect him.”

I think Rick was 'sick' long before he ever read that.

“I don’t believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute.

“To say that people of faith have no role in the public square? You bet that makes me want to throw up.”

On NBC, he said, “This idea that we need to segregate faith is a dangerous idea, and we’re seeing the Obama administration not only segregating faith but imposing the state’s values.”

Rick Santorum: JFK's promise to keep Pope out of politics 'makes me want to throw up' - NY Daily News

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media

There is something truly sad about this election, although many of us who have watched elections for decades see it as far more than that.

There is a very strict commonality between some of the ideals of the current conservative movement and that of Adolph Hitler prior to the beginning of the rise of the Nazi party in Germany. At the time that Hitler came in to the world political system Germany was in economic ruin. What Hitler did was to create a situation where he could falsely "blame" others convenient and not able to fight back at the time. People bought his false conservatism by the metric ton and using unrelated divisive issues he tied unrelated garbage to racism, anti-semitism, homophobia and a host of other ills that he created himself to remove focus from the real issues.

He then in the name of protecting the people put forth insanity as if it were in fact conservatism and a great moral code. He in essence legislated morality throughout Germany and this is why he was so anxious to get to peoples children. It is not difficult to convince a 7 year old of damn near anything if you are an adult. The Hitler youth he knew were going to grow up. The rise of Adolph Hitler did not take place overnight. By the time that he was forming armies his ideals had been going around Germany for years. Some of his stuff was so preposterous as to be moronic and yet it was served as if it were champagne to people who were hurting. Racial purity, homophobia as punishable by death, anti-semitism on a level nearly unheard of. In many ways Hitler used "the church" to get what he wanted and then realizing that "the church" was now his biggest threat. Clergy of all religions were placed in concentration camps if they dared disagree with his viewpoints. What never ceases to amaze me is that people nearly ninety years later are still stupid enough to buy hogwash as if it were in fact gospel.

How many have noticed that the extremists seem to be interested so heavily in morality, when in fact they themselves appear to have more skeletons in their closets than the people they portray as liberals.

Here we are a country broke for many reasons and it appears that what one hears from the "immoral minority" who are willing to tell bold faced lies not even knowing what the actual job and power of the President of the United States is. They then expect and are having surprising success trying to now tell us that we are NOT and I quote a country "Of the People, by the people, and for the people." They go on to extrapolate that major corporations which have demonstrated unprecedented levels of greed are going to be the saviors of this country.

This is nothing more than a "rerun" of the old concept of "Reaganomics". In Reaganomics one rewards and gives incredible privileges to the richest in the land and these people are so benevolent that they are going to reward every one down the line.

Reaganomics did not work and that is no secret except to extremists. Under Ronald Reagan and after preaching endlessly that there would be no new taxation and that by cutting spending we would magically fix everything he quietly and without ceremony repeatedly passed the largest tax increases first that the State of California had ever seen and finally after being elected to the White House the largest tax increases that this Nation had ever seen until George H. W. Bush had the bad idea of stating "Read my lips no new taxes". George H.W. Bush completely failing on his speech two weeks later signed a Republican sponsored tax bill that hurt the bottom and middle class while rewarding the top of the income pile very handsomely.

My definitions of the three GOP top runners:

Santorum, Religious zealot and nut job to the extreme. Incompetent for the office and merely a "puppet" for special interest groups. If elected the party will try and do a repeat of George W. Bush making the Vice President the actual boss using the controversy and open mouth of the then President to cover the actual dirt taking place behind closed doors.

Gingrich, an absolutely unmanageable man with power as his main goal. He is hated by many within the Republican party and his philosophy on life is "My way or the highway". Gingrich is a very strong personality and a sanctimonious little "Dictator". The election of "Newt" gets us another form of failure in that literally from the day he takes office virtually everything he tries to do will be roadblocked. The Supreme Court will be booked for the next 50 years as the legal challenges to his ego start to happen. While writing his memoirs he will definitely do it himself because he is the only one capable of worshiping himself to the level he will demand.

Romney, is a contrast. He is a political moderate and though his financial management is questionable in some areas, as President his own assets are more or less locked up and he would be watched very carefully on that count. Basically under Romney I see a "win some/lose some" President that will be totally "ho-hum" in every respect, but of the three he is the least likely to do great harm inspiring moronic legislation. His religion would most likely cease to be of any value to him, but, one can guarantee that the great people of the Mormon Temple would be making demands on him to try and advance their cause. Being a Mormon can be a very costly religion to belong to. If you have money or power they don't hesitate to ask. If anyone doubts that all one has to do is to look at the personal lives of a group of people with the last name of "Osmond". He is the one most likely to state his position and power to the church and to back away from them of the three.

Right now, based on what I see, the most likely person to sit in an oval office at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is a bi-racial man with a wife and two kids. Because he would be a "lame duck" at that point I suspect that the boxing gloves will really come off because he then has absolutely nothing to lose by fighting vigorously. There is no election to fear.

If the Republicans are thoroughly trounced at the polls and if there is a purge of Republicans from lesser elected jobs which is possible, the GOP may have the best thing happen in that it will be forced to re-examine where it has gone and go back to the ideas it actually stood for which is small government that only intrudes into one's life when necessary and stays the heck out otherwise.

The biggest problem with the Democratic Party is that they have allowed themselves to be labeled in an inappropriate manner. The Democratic Party has failed just as much as the Republicans have.

Sadly, even though some of his ideas sound good on the surface the man of the day will very likely never be Ron Paul. I see Ron Paul after this election changing his tune and running on one of the independent party tickets. I also see Ron Paul in a walker and a wheel chair still running at age 85 because that is the chance he has.

His chances are no better or worse than the election of Roseanne Barr under one of the independent parties. They just don't have the money or backing to come into the front of the class in this case.

The Gospel of Santorum is based on flawed thinking and the extremist views of a minority within the Republican Party who have led that party astray.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Now he is calling Obama a "snob" because he wants kids to go to college. :rolleyes:

Let's hear it for Rick "Dare To Be Stupid" Santorum. In these times of technological advancement and international competition, what we need more than anything is a vigorous race to the bottom, with every child in this great country of ours aspiring to a lower education.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

There is something truly sad about this election, although many of us who have watched elections for decades see it as far more than that.

There is a very strict commonality between some of the ideals of the current conservative movement and that of Adolph Hitler prior to the beginning of the rise of the Nazi party in Germany. At the time that Hitler came in to the world political system Germany was in economic ruin. What Hitler did was to create a situation where he could falsely "blame" others convenient and not able to fight back at the time. People bought his false conservatism by the metric ton and using unrelated divisive issues he tied unrelated garbage to racism, anti-semitism, homophobia and a host of other ills that he created himself to remove focus from the real issues.

He then in the name of protecting the people put forth insanity as if it were in fact conservatism and a great moral code. He in essence legislated morality throughout Germany and this is why he was so anxious to get to peoples children. It is not difficult to convince a 7 year old of damn near anything if you are an adult. The Hitler youth he knew were going to grow up. The rise of Adolph Hitler did not take place overnight. By the time that he was forming armies his ideals had been going around Germany for years. Some of his stuff was so preposterous as to be moronic and yet it was served as if it were champagne to people who were hurting. Racial purity, homophobia as punishable by death, anti-semitism on a level nearly unheard of. In many ways Hitler used "the church" to get what he wanted and then realizing that "the church" was now his biggest threat. Clergy of all religions were placed in concentration camps if they dared disagree with his viewpoints. What never ceases to amaze me is that people nearly ninety years later are still stupid enough to buy hogwash as if it were in fact gospel.

How many have noticed that the extremists seem to be interested so heavily in morality, when in fact they themselves appear to have more skeletons in their closets than the people they portray as liberals.

Here we are a country broke for many reasons and it appears that what one hears from the "immoral minority" who are willing to tell bold faced lies not even knowing what the actual job and power of the President of the United States is. They then expect and are having surprising success trying to now tell us that we are NOT and I quote a country "Of the People, by the people, and for the people." They go on to extrapolate that major corporations which have demonstrated unprecedented levels of greed are going to be the saviors of this country.

This is nothing more than a "rerun" of the old concept of "Reaganomics". In Reaganomics one rewards and gives incredible privileges to the richest in the land and these people are so benevolent that they are going to reward every one down the line.

Reaganomics did not work and that is no secret except to extremists. Under Ronald Reagan and after preaching endlessly that there would be no new taxation and that by cutting spending we would magically fix everything he quietly and without ceremony repeatedly passed the largest tax increases first that the State of California had ever seen and finally after being elected to the White House the largest tax increases that this Nation had ever seen until George H. W. Bush had the bad idea of stating "Read my lips no new taxes". George H.W. Bush completely failing on his speech two weeks later signed a Republican sponsored tax bill that hurt the bottom and middle class while rewarding the top of the income pile very handsomely.

My definitions of the three GOP top runners:

Santorum, Religious zealot and nut job to the extreme. Incompetent for the office and merely a "puppet" for special interest groups. If elected the party will try and do a repeat of George W. Bush making the Vice President the actual boss using the controversy and open mouth of the then President to cover the actual dirt taking place behind closed doors.

Gingrich, an absolutely unmanageable man with power as his main goal. He is hated by many within the Republican party and his philosophy on life is "My way or the highway". Gingrich is a very strong personality and a sanctimonious little "Dictator". The election of "Newt" gets us another form of failure in that literally from the day he takes office virtually everything he tries to do will be roadblocked. The Supreme Court will be booked for the next 50 years as the legal challenges to his ego start to happen. While writing his memoirs he will definitely do it himself because he is the only one capable of worshiping himself to the level he will demand.

Romney, is a contrast. He is a political moderate and though his financial management is questionable in some areas, as President his own assets are more or less locked up and he would be watched very carefully on that count. Basically under Romney I see a "win some/lose some" President that will be totally "ho-hum" in every respect, but of the three he is the least likely to do great harm inspiring moronic legislation. His religion would most likely cease to be of any value to him, but, one can guarantee that the great people of the Mormon Temple would be making demands on him to try and advance their cause. Being a Mormon can be a very costly religion to belong to. If you have money or power they don't hesitate to ask. If anyone doubts that all one has to do is to look at the personal lives of a group of people with the last name of "Osmond". He is the one most likely to state his position and power to the church and to back away from them of the three.

Right now, based on what I see, the most likely person to sit in an oval office at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is a bi-racial man with a wife and two kids. Because he would be a "lame duck" at that point I suspect that the boxing gloves will really come off because he then has absolutely nothing to lose by fighting vigorously. There is no election to fear.

If the Republicans are thoroughly trounced at the polls and if there is a purge of Republicans from lesser elected jobs which is possible, the GOP may have the best thing happen in that it will be forced to re-examine where it has gone and go back to the ideas it actually stood for which is small government that only intrudes into one's life when necessary and stays the heck out otherwise.

The biggest problem with the Democratic Party is that they have allowed themselves to be labeled in an inappropriate manner. The Democratic Party has failed just as much as the Republicans have.

Sadly, even though some of his ideas sound good on the surface the man of the day will very likely never be Ron Paul. I see Ron Paul after this election changing his tune and running on one of the independent party tickets. I also see Ron Paul in a walker and a wheel chair still running at age 85 because that is the chance he has.

His chances are no better or worse than the election of Roseanne Barr under one of the independent parties. They just don't have the money or backing to come into the front of the class in this case.

The Gospel of Santorum is based on flawed thinking and the extremist views of a minority within the Republican Party who have led that party astray.

Excellent analysis, Ken.

Now he is calling Obama a "snob" because he wants kids to go to college. :rolleyes:

Santorum: Obama is ‘a snob’ who ‘wants everybody to go to college’ | The Raw Story

Santorum has a B.A. an MBA and a J.D.

Well sure, it's ok for people like Santorum to go to college. It's certain other folk who aspire to do so who are the "snobs". (see: arrogant; uppity) :wink:

billybones

Superior Member
Media
Ken, I disagree that the analysis is excellent in regards to today. A lot of what you say represents a clear understanding of history. While I believe that an inability or intentional-ignorance of history condemns us to repeat it, dealing in such extremes does no one a service in the here and now.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ken, I disagree that the analysis is excellent in regards to today. A lot of what you say represents a clear understanding of history. While I believe that an inability or intentional-ignorance of history condemns us to repeat it, dealing in such extremes does no one a service in the here and now.
What does that mean? You object to current republican policy being likened to the roots of the nazi party?

The nazis were by by no means unique in the principles they followed. The same principle is being applied right now by Argentinian politicians demanding the UK leave the Falkland islands. The idea is blame the british for a mortal sin against argentina, so as to get everyone united against them and for your party. In both the example of the nazi party and the Faklands invasion, both political parties finally foundered in military defeat. The principle of identifying a scapegoat and blaming them for everything is usually a great move. At least until it is proven ridiculous.

The republicans seem to have set themselves a bit of a challenge in that they are scapegoating the majority of the US population, but hey, most people dont bother to vote so dont count.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
Oh well. Santorum couldn't reel it in. I think his rhetoric probably scared away some who may have considered voting for him. Interestingly, he lost the Catholic vote to Romney. I think his being "sickened" by JFK's speech on the separation of Church and State didn't help him with that demographic.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It says a lot about how weak a candidate Romney is that he could only beat a radical dufus like Santorum by 3% in his home state. I think the Republican leadership has decided that they'll just hope for the best with Romney against Obama and are already looking to 2016 for Jeb Bush or another grown-up to get back control of the executive branch.