The Republican Attack on the Right to Vote

Discussion in 'Politics' started by b.c., Apr 11, 2014.

1. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    In a speech earlier today, President Obama came right out and said it, voting rights are under a GOP attack:

Obama says voting rights under GOP attack - Newsday

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-vote-under-threat-us-202059095--politics.html

Of course this is not NEW. The GOP has been attacking people's right to vote for sometime now. These links (among others) give a background summary of past efforts:

Voting Rights Under Attack: States Move to Change Laws - The Root

Release the Hounds -- North Carolina GOP's Amazing Attack on Voting Rights | Jonathan Weiler

Republicans Attack the Voting Rights of People They Say They Need to Reach Out To

And the attack continues in earnest even as we speak:

Republicans launch attack on voting rights in Wisconsin | MSNBC

State Republicans attack voting rights again | Milwaukee Courier Weekly Newspaper

Texas Legislators Forced To Turn Over Emails In Voter ID Lawsuit

Of course the conservative response is that the laws are necessary to address issues of "voter fraud". This article explores how they in fact created the idea of voter fraud, in order to pass discriminatory legislation:

How conservatives invented “voter fraud” to attack civil rights - Salon.com

And the REPUBLICAN attack on civil rights aren't just limited to the right to vote either. Here is an article detailing how they've been BUSY curtailing the rights of CERTAIN others as well:

The GOP’s Attack on Basic Rights Continues - In These Times

Apparently, if you don't see the world through their narrow minded conservatively MYOPIC point of view, you don't DESERVE rights.

#1 b.c., Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. JulieInNaplesFL

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    It seems to most intelligent people that America is under attack from Obama.

3. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Or some, at least, who THINK they are.

One would think "intelligent people" would have at least the ability to see through the fiction of all of this alleged "voter fraud" and figure out what's really behind it all.

Or is it is your intent to try to justify systematic GOP efforts at voter discrimination by referencing
    Obama administration policies?

And speaking of "America under attack"... is America NOT under "attack" when the GOP seeks to block extending unemployment benefits to those long term unemployed unable to find a job, or when the GOP blocks efforts at equalizing pay for women by claiming the issue is non-existent, or when they block efforts aimed at improving the lives of the working poor, the middle class, veterans, the needy, the uninsured, immigrants, minorities, and the LGBT community, while at the same time working hard to protect the tax havens and write offs for that wealthy 1%?

Or when they seek to tell US how we should live our lives, how we should plan our families, who and what we should believe in, and try to define for US what "American values" are supposed to be??

America under attack from Obama?? THAT'S a fuckin' laugh.

#3 b.c., Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  4. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    And what would YOU know about intelligence?
    The Article Every Liberal Needs To Show a Conservative

As you hear the same asinine statements constantly repeated, you just hit a point where you want to stand up and say, “Look you babbling buffoon, let me spell it out for you very simply.”

5. skylancer81

skylancer81 Member

Wow so much wrong in one thread. I voted for Obama and 2008 and we were all sold a bill of pure lies. He has done nothing to help the USA unless you want it worse than before. Liberals are the ones who lie and commit massive voter fraud every election. And yes America is under attack by the current President. Freedom of Religion is under massive attack. Forcing someone to provide or pay for health coverages that go against their religious beliefs is an attack. Freedom of Speech is under attack. Say whatever you want, unless we do not agree with it, then find yourself under IRS/DEA/ATF/FBI investigation. The lists of what this man and his administration are doing to and forcing on the American people is a crime in and of itself. I have no love for the Republican party either. But the flat out lies and fraud now being carried out by the Liberals and this Administration makes them looks like saints. Why else would the current DoJ be prosecuting every state that is trying to remove fraudulent voters from their voter rosters. Regardless of if the state is Republican run or Democratic run. Every state trying to purge duplicate voters, deceased voters, illegal voters, are being targeted by this DoJ. The Liberals know if/when voter fraud is curbed or vastly eliminated they will stop winning elections.

6. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow, so much wrong in one reply:

Freedom of religion: i.e. freedom to dictate values to others based on one's own concepts, and freedom to discriminate against those with different views.

Freedom of religion: to deny health coverage to employees because of so called religious objections, even though the company objecting invests heavily in pharmaceutical companies making those so-called "objectionable contraceptives"

Freedom of speech: Freedom to rewrite history to one's own liking (i.e. slaves were happy), freedom to drop evolution from textbooks and replace it with creationism, freedom to go online, in public forums, and in other forms of media and express racist and bigoted ideas without outcry or objection from anyone to the contrary.

Voter fraud: Republican lie to validate racists and discriminatory voter suppression laws and other actions designed to disenfranchise black, Latino, and poor voters from the process.

How conservatives invented “voter fraud” to attack civil rights - Salon.com

And I'll add these links from another thread (originally posted by Stormfront) NOT that certain people would ever bother to actually read them. Why? Because according to them, it's all "spin" ... "
    flat out lies and fraud ... being carried out by the Liberals":

Polling Place Cutbacks Could Impact Vote, 100 Polls to Close in Omaha | Project Vote Blog

Ohio Early Voting Cutbacks Disenfranchise Minority Voters | The Nation

Florida County Eliminates Minority-Heavy Polling Places | ThinkProgress

I tell ya... Jim Crow (and the racist architects of THAT period in American history) has NOTHING on today's "crop".... This is a whole NEW kind of.... er..... "animal".

(Then again, on second thought, maybe NOT. Same animal, different garb.)

#6 b.c., Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  7. Jjz1109

Gold Member

I know this topic is always portrayed as some wide sweeping racist conspiracy plot masterminded by the right to intimidate, disenfranchise, discriminate (basically the ole "fill in the blank") all minorities from voting. This is how the left has sold this (brainwashed?) to the country.

But let me ask this. Why would the left be so vehemently opposed to voter registration? Is it that they don't acknowledge gaps in the system? Is there the potential for people voting multiple times? Is there the potential for illegals to vote? And if they acknowledge these potentials exists, why would they be against some form of structure? Why? Because they are confident the vast majority of these voters would statistically votes for their party. Pretty simple.

But more importantly, why would people feel intimidated, disenfranchised, discriminated against from registering to vote? We are well aware (thank you NSA) the government knows virtually EVERYTHING about us today. Add to that that no one appears to have these concerns when applying for a drivers license, or even better yet, a cell phone! Lord knows EVERYONE has a cell phone today, including the poor, since it is such an integral part of everyday life. Sadly, it may also show the level of importance to some. So why wouldn't people feel it's ok to register to vote, perhaps one of THE most valued, cherished, rights we are permitted? Isn't the right and honor to exercise ones vote more important than a cell phone? The comparison is silly, of course, but highlights the poor argument against efforts to challenge voter registration.

Honestly, the charges don't hold water. The only possible reason could be that the left knows full well that they have an untapped, untracked "ace up their sleeve", and intentionally are derailing attempts to better track votes. After all, what else could it be?? More spin by the left, and more scare tactics...

8. twoton

Gold Member

Albums:
    The issue with the investments aside, a family owned private company ought to be allowed to provide the benefits to its employees that it chooses to provide. It's not a matter of religious freedom so much as a matter of freedom of choice. If it's my money, I should be allowed to spend it the way I want to.

As for the voting rights, I agree that it's a cynical attempt to control the electorate. The state in which I reside has had a number of lawsuits over its voting registration laws. If the Republicans held the registration edge, there would be no voter ID laws, unless, of course, the Democrats created them. I fully believe that the Democrats would do the same exact thing the Republicans did if the tables are turned. Politics is the practice of cynicism. [when the judge asked the state government's lawyers to provide proof of voter fraud, they could not provide a single instance that it had occurred.]

Ideals, philosophies, platforms, agendas, policies--all are malleable where the rubber hits the road. It's about winning the game on any given day.

9. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    I registered to vote in my Senior Government & economics class. A lot of teens registered this way. It was never a problem until the GOP realized that younger voters today tended to vote Democrat and then suddenly that method of registration had to be eliminated.
    The blatant disregard for the intelligence of others is the reason for the anger directed at these voter registration and ID issues. ID that has long been acceptable to cash a check at a bank is no longer acceptable to prove one's ID. Gun permits are accepted though.

I was going to go in but I realized you have attempted to skip the points raised. How does eliminating polling places in minority areas have anything to do with eliminating voter fraud(not that any fraud was ever shown)? How does reducing voting time affect voter fraud? Or do you think it's a good idea to increase the length of time one must wait in line to vote from 6 hours to 10 or more hours?

You might also want to answer the question of why the proven instances of voter fraud were all by GOP operatives and why there has been no push from cons to do anything about them.

And one last thing, look back at the 2000 election and Florida. The majority of those disenfranchised were registered Democrats. People were removed from the rolls because of crimes they were accused of committing years before they were born, or because they had names close to that of someone else(different social security and birth date though). Ask yourself why all those that appear "suspicious" to GOP officials are always Democrats?

10. cruztbone

Gold Member

sorry, Julie, but your knowledge or memory of who and what the GOP attacks is clearly uninformed or misinformed.
    lets review:
    the GOP opposed the voting rights act in 1964, almost unanimously. the GOP wants to make student ID illegal to use to vote . the GOP insists that voter fraud is widespread, which state attorney generals throughout the US have repeatedly stated is NOT a problem . the GOP wants to shorten the time granted for voting, and close polling places in urban areas.
    yes, Obama is correct. he usually is, and this is no exception. but Julie , you are just exceptionally wrong.

11. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    When one asks those kinds of questions in the face of all that's been posted here about the history, backdrop, and reasons for laws that target specific demographics it becomes quite EVIDENT that either they haven't bothered to READ any of it, or they dismiss it ALL, wholesale, as lies, propaganda, and spin.

Either way, NOT worthy of a response, imo.

(and here's MORE links for them to totally ignore):

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...mp_out_voting_fraud_that_does_not_exist_.html

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pictures/the-voter-fraud-myth-debunked-20120612

http://illuminate.newsvine.com/_new...republican-perpetuated-myth-about-voter-fraud

http://news.yahoo.com/gops-believe-...lYwNzcgRwb3MDOQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1NNRTMzOF8x

#11 b.c., Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  12. Popyuu

Popyuu New Member

Albums:
    Can any of you just please read/watch something other than fox news for once? I know that comes off smartypantslike but seriously. At the very least read something so you know what you're disagreeing with. Or who you're disagreeing with. I mean for the love of all that is good in the world read something.

There have been a shit/mega/gobulin/micheal bay ton of links littered all through these topics yet ya'll always come back with the very same and very predictable replies that are predictably void of any real validate-able information. And when you do toss up a link it gets its ass handed to it by someone else's links that have actually read and watched of all the things.

Yeah that's all i have. My amount of patience for explaining things and making fun of people has just about run out. So please. Just...stop. Then read something new from a new source. Watch something new, from a new source. Just...blah.

#12 Popyuu, Apr 13, 2014
  13. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    You are so on point. It reminds me of a conversation I had with an associate. He rambled off all the usual Fox noise and then asked where I got my news and information. I listed several sources and he said he was surprised because he thought Democrats only watched MSNBC. I asked what would be wrong with it if I did and he said multiple sources are best for finding out what is really going on. I asked where he got his news and he said Fox. Nothing else, just Fox.

Please keep popping in and sharing your wit and wisdom with us. I understand that dealing with the stupid on a daily basis can be tiring but you have to admit that it's also a little fun.

The Stupid! It burns!! - YouTube

14. Popyuu

Popyuu New Member

Albums:
    ^hahaha that link lmao

I keep trying to type a serious reply about how sad it is that people are that isolated but that video keeps popping in my head as i type. :biggrin1:

Edit: Seriously. You, b.c.'s and others posts should have done the trick by now.

#14 Popyuu, Apr 13, 2014
  15. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    Have I told you I love you???

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

16. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    I realized long ago that nothing I, or anyone else, wrote on here was going to get through the thick skulls of the right wing loony toons. I just use this as a means of keeping sharp and prepared for interactions with conservative friends in the real world. The righties in this forum tend to be stuck on stupid especially the newbies. Is it any wonder the conservatives who posted here in the past haven't jumped into the mix. Even they realize that these newbies are a joke.
    The cons on here now are so bad they make former member Trinity seem somewhat sane(and the Unholy He/She/It has a monogrammed straight jacket).

17. Popyuu

Popyuu New Member

Albums:
    See thats the whole point. Not to sound all blah blah here but you have to at least know your "enemy" (douchie quotes cause republicans and democrats aren't actually enemies. Neither are liberals and conservatives.) when expecting a victory. If you don't actually know who you're "fighting" then you've already lost.

You know the sorts of people you're dealing with because they don't vary. They never change their stances based on anything. If it were a boxing match they would be the person best known for their left hook. Yet thats all they are known for. So every fighter they come up against that has any real knowledge of them will know exactly how to ropeadope.

I'll tell you what else i've noticed. I've noticed that most of them try to remaster their replies. They try to mimic others in an effort to "sway" others. Now back to the boxing analogy. While they're mimicking the other fighter's moves that fighter is coming up with new ones. Which leaves the one doing the mimicking to think they have the upper hand, all while they've been left completely open.

It gets to the point where it's just sad. Not for them though. For the people they may have to teach one day. A whole nother generation doing the exact same thing and expecting different results.

Ok think i'll stop typing now. :wink:

18. Jjz1109

Gold Member

The one and only issue I was addressing was voter registration.

19. h0neymustard

h0neymustard New Member

I see the marching orders have come from higher up.

20. skylancer81

skylancer81 Member

Amazing how brainwashed you are here. Keep being a sheeple like the Liberals want. I stated the truth and you regurgitated Liberal false talking points. Sorry you are a lost cause. Nicely linked false articles not withstanding. If you wake up before you pass away I will be surprised. You would make an excellent spin doctor for them.