Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Legal size? Does that mean those of us who are better equipped are instant criminals upon entering Iceland's jurisdiction?
Lol! No! It comes from an old story about a woman who sued for divorce, successfully, because her husband only had three inches. There was some kind of reasoning for each inch and the judge said from then on women could divorce if men were less than five legal inches.

It was a funny old folk tale and I don't think actually usable in court, but kind of interesting.

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lol! No! It comes from an old story about a woman who sued for divorce, successfully, because her husband only had three inches. There was some kind of reasoning for each inch and the judge said from then on women could divorce if men were less than five legal inches.

It was a funny old folk tale and I don't think actually usable in court, but kind of interesting.
Did the old story account for shrinkage? It gets pretty cold in Iceland.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
5a SKY News

after

Valley Of Decisionoldie/cool'
A spirited housemaid attracts the interest of a coal mine heir. Starring: Gregory Peck, Greer Garson, Donald Crisp. 1945

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
a Western currently in the background

just fin 10mins ago
Rugbylive Ellis Park South Africa
NZ All Blacks 27 Springboks SA 20
last minutes try again by our Capt McCaw, ABs will be lost without him ..

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
currently
Pet Sematary 2 funny more than horrifying ha
better humour than in the news ha'

prior

The Game Stands Tall

Drama:The story of legendary high school football coach Bob Ladouceur, who led his team from obscurity to a 151-game winning streak. Starring: Jim Caviezel, Laura Dern.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
back
to the all night of Sport viewing on/off at least ha'
highlights to build up to another 5bdays series ..

Cricket: ENG v AUS Hls

After English cricket died at The Oval in 1882, the legendary Ashes were born. 133 years later a fierce rivalry thrives as the English try to reclaim the Ashes. Join SKY Sport for highlights from day 4 of the 2nd Test at Lord's.

plus
thru the night/early am ..

that Royal London Cup LIVE will be showing at: 29/07/2015 12:58 AM

SKY Sport brings you LIVE coverage of the Royal London Cup. Join us for the 1st innings of this One Day Match as Glamorgan take on Ken

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
in 36.4 overs damn incredible!!!

Australia all out for 136, in just a few hours, the first day of 5
how fortness change in cricket ..
Cricket: ENG v AUS LIVE will be showing at: 29/07/2015 9:58 PM
SKY Sport presents LIVE coverage of the Ashes as Australia and England meet for the third Test. With the series tied at 1-1 both teams will be eager to assert their ascendancy. Join us for the crucial morning session of day 1 from Edgbaston.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
woe busy watchin cricket, 5 mins to go yo
2nd day of 5
ket: ENG v AUS LIVE will be showing at: 31/07/2015 12:35 AM

SKY Sport presents LIVE coverage of the Ashes as Australia and England meet for the third Test. With the series tied at 1-1 both teams will be eager to assert their ascendancy. Join us for the afternoon session of day 2 from Edgbaston.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
as expected 24 hours ago
England take the 3rd test easily..

Cricket: ENG v AUS LIVE will be showing at: 01/08/2015 12:35 AM

SKY Sport presents LIVE coverage of the Ashes as Australia and England meet for the third Test. With the series tied at 1-1 both teams will be eager to assert their ascendancy. Join us for the afternoon session of day 3 from Edgbast

currently
awaiting SKY News .. yes gack to a little of that ha'

Mercurygirl

Superior Member
Media
Dat ending tho

I smell a sequel.

What did you think overall? Personally I thought it was quite good. It's an impressive directorial debut from Alex Garland. He already proved he could write what with The Beach, 28 Days Later, Dredd, and a sci-fi sleeper that didn't get nearly enough praise, Sunshine.

Fuzzy_

Legendary Member
Media
I smell a sequel.

What did you think overall? Personally I thought it was quite good. It's an impressive directorial debut from Alex Garland. He already proved he could write what with The Beach, 28 Days Later, Dredd, and a sleeper that didn't get nearly enough praise, Sunshine.

It was great. The second-best movie ever made in that genre ("AI" by Spielberg was the best, IFHO). It was ominous and suspenseful and fooled Fuzzy more than once -- and Fuzzy appreciates that unpredictability. The ending was a complete surprise. But in retrospect, the plot seems less clever and more improbable, especially with everything hinging on unknown variables like reversing the door codes, the other android helping her, the chopper pilot accepting her without question, etc. So many things could have gone wrong with her plan.

Fuzzy agrees that "28 Days Later" was a great movie with superb writing. As for "Sunshine," it was an awesome movie but the last 15 minutes or so, with that thing going around the ship, was a letdown. Whatever that thing was, it seemed to serve no purpose other than to kill and yell, and brought nothing to the movie.

Speaking of AI movies, what did you think of "AI" or "Her"?

Reactions: Mercurygirl

Mercurygirl

Superior Member
Media
It was great. The second-best movie ever made in that genre ("AI" by Spielberg was the best, IFHO). It was ominous and suspenseful and fooled Fuzzy more than once -- and Fuzzy appreciates that unpredictability. The ending was a complete surprise. But in retrospect, the plot seems less clever and more improbable, especially with everything hinging on unknown variables like reversing the door codes, the other android helping her, the chopper pilot accepting her without question, etc. So many things could have gone wrong with her plan.

Fuzzy agrees that "28 Days Later" was a great movie with superb writing. As for "Sunshine," it was an awesome movie but the last 15 minutes or so, with that thing going around the ship, was a letdown. Whatever that thing was, it seemed to serve no purpose other than to kill and yell, and brought nothing to the movie.

Speaking of AI movies, what did you think of "AI" or "Her"?

A couple of plot holes but not so deep that the makers treated its audience as if they were stupid, which can be infuriating.

The helicopter pilot's actions weren't that difficult for me to accept. Why? Because it was established early in the film that his presence was considered an intrusion to the egomaniac who's property he landed on. When he dropped Caleb off he said, (paraphrasing) "this is as close as I'm allowed to the house." So later when the pilot takes Ava I reasoned that he was to just drop off and pick up people at designated times at that spot, no questions asked, because Nathan, a.k.a., "God" didn't want to be disturbed by the insignificant matters of mortals. Again Nathan's ego proves to be his undoing. The pilot had probably been chewed out for asking questions (how dare he) in the past and the genius had given orders not to ever be bothered again unless it was a matter of life or death. Add, Ava, her appearance, is unthreatening and doesn't throw up red flags.

The conversation:
"Who are you?"
"Ava."
"Where's Caleb?"
"He decided to stay."
"Am I taking you back?"
"Yes."

At this point the pilot is probably stoked he gets to spend the next few hours in the company of a cute girl. The only questions coming out of his mouth going forward are, "would you like to sit up front?" And, "do you have a boyfriend?"

I need to see the film again but the part that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is how Ava convinced the other AI to kill? It makes me think that the scene when the women first meet which we never see play out and what Ava whispers to her in the hallway will be revealed in sequel.

I enjoyed both A.I. and Her. Happy Spike Jonze finally got some Oscar recognition.

I'd like to give a shout out to Westworld as far as quality films in the sub-genre. Although it's probably more of a film about robots than AI. What do you think?

Reactions: Fuzzy_

Fuzzy_

Legendary Member
Media
A couple of plot holes but not so deep that the makers treated its audience as if they were stupid, which can be infuriating.

The helicopter pilot's actions weren't that difficult for me to accept. Why? Because it was established early in the film that his presence was considered an intrusion to the egomaniac who's property he landed on. When he dropped Caleb off he said, (paraphrasing) "this is as close as I'm allowed to the house." So later when the pilot takes Ava I reasoned that he was to just drop off and pick up people at designated times at that spot, no questions asked, because Nathan, a.k.a., "God" didn't want to be disturbed by the insignificant matters of mortals. Again Nathan's ego proves to be his undoing. The pilot had probably been chewed out for asking questions (how dare he) in the past and the genius had given orders not to ever be bothered again unless it was a matter of life or death. Add, Ava, her appearance, is unthreatening and doesn't throw up red flags.

The conversation:
"Who are you?"
"Ava."
"Where's Caleb?"
"He decided to stay."
"Am I taking you back?"
"Yes."

At this point the pilot is probably stoked he gets to spend the next few hours in the company of a cute girl. The only questions coming out of his mouth going forward are, "would you like to sit up front?" And, "do you have a boyfriend?"

I need to see the film again but the part that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is how Ava convinced the other AI to kill? It makes me think that the scene when the women first meet which we never see play out and what Ava whispers to her in the hallway will be revealed in sequel.

I enjoyed both A.I. and Her. Happy Spike Jonze finally got some Oscar recognition.

You've changed Fuzzy's mind about the chopper scene. And Fuzzy really likes your point about Nathan's arrogance being his undoing.

As for what Ava whispered to Kyoko, Fuzzy assumed it was something to do with the escape plan. If so, maybe she didn't even have to say anything at all. If Fuzzy were a shackled slave, and a fellow slave had a key, not many words would need to be said when it came to escaping. In fact, that scene may have been better if they didn't speak at all. It was an eerily quiet scene, including the knife slowly, peacefully slipping into the Creator's body. It's brilliant that the climax was so casual and quiet, even with Caleb's screams muted.

But again, so many unknown variables: What if there wasn't a spare arm? What if there were no knife? What if Nathan's wounds weren't fatal? What if Nathan didn't back into the knife (the androids were surprisingly weak)?

I'd like to give a shout out to Westworld as far as quality films in the sub-genre. Although it's probably more of a film about robots than AI. What do you think?
Although Yul Brenner seems irreplaceable, Fuzzy has wanted a remake of this movie for a long time. It seems to long predate the typical AI movies, but it does seem to fit into the AI genre -- even though it lacks the common Pinocchio theme of trying to be more human. It's definitely an underrated movie, but it comes from a time when sci-fi and fantasy weren't taken as being legitimate works of art. "Star Wars" may have made them popular but it took movies like "Blade Runner" to show the critics that these movies could have substance, and that '2001: A Space Odyssey" wasn't a one-off. The cheap immitations that followed Star Wars were mostly horrible, but "Battle Beyond the Stars" has a cheesy, nostalgic feel that Fuzzy loves, and "Silent Running" has a great moralistic message.

Reactions: Mercurygirl