Why the republican party doesnt appeal to people...

D_Malcolm_MacPudd

Account Disabled
Media
Their platform is not there. If all you have is to oppose the democratic party, thats not a solid solution to this country. If you take the average american, they look for inspiration and ways to better the communities and their individual way of life. Republicans have never once proposed anything like this in recent times. If anything, they fight to make sure things stay exactly the same before Obama stepped in-thats not what people want. I have voted for both republicans and democrats so i dont have a committment to one party, i choose the better candidate with the best ideas-as do most Americans. Lets face it, propaganda is very effective and republicans lack ideas. Obama's presentation as a candidate was solid whether you like him or not you have to admit that.

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know this may sound rude, but if all you think the Republican Party platform is to just oppose Democrats you are an uninformed voter.

I believe this is their most recent platform - READ: The full Republican platform - and as you can say it's about 50 pages or so that is not just "Democrats are bad".

Both parties propose new ideas that are not just "I disagree with the other guy". If you fall into the trap that just one party proposes nothing except to disagree with the other party, you're engaging in an intellectually lazy or ignorant approach to political analysis.

Personally, I don't find Obama's presentation to be particularly effective. What he has going for him is that the amount of American people relying on govt to survive are at some of the highest levels ever seen (perhaps the highest). And the Democrats, who are basically the party of Govt, are the beneficiary of such reliance as they are basically the party of Big Government. That's in a nutshell I think why they have had such success recently.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Personally, I don't find Obama's presentation to be particularly effective. What he has going for him is that the amount of American people relying on govt to survive are at some of the highest levels ever seen (perhaps the highest).

And this is because . . . ?

Reactions: jjsatellite1

hsarge

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The fiscally conservative 'moderate' republicans have been replaced by the social 'religious' conservatives. That wing votes in the primaries and gets their candidates on the ballot for general elections. To the religious right, compromise is a dirty word. The rigid social conservatism is not in step with the country. For example, both republican and democrat women voters are overwhelmingly for reproductive rights and the say over their own bodies. Rigid religious conservatism, and it's control of republican primaries, is causing a decline in republican registration, which in turn make the primary pool even more strident.

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A whole host of reasons. Question becomes how does one break this cycle of dependency? Democratic solution is to generally provide more incentives to stay on govt programs through increased govt spending, extension of long term unemployment benefits being a prime example at the moment. This insures more votes and more power as certain segments become even more reliant on Democratic power for govt support. Republicans of course offer a differing viewpoint to break this cycle of dependency such as incentives for employers who hire the long term unemployed as opposed to continuing to fund long term unemployed benefits. In effect, less govt spending and economic incentives to the private sector in various forms.

And of course, what sounds more appealing to the general public? Giving "free" benefits away. Hence why the Democratic message appeals more at the moment, generally.

D_Malcolm_MacPudd

Account Disabled
Media
And of course, what sounds more appealing to the general public? Giving "free" benefits away. Hence why the Democratic message appeals more at the moment, generally.

i dont disagree with you on that. So what is the republican response? to oppose it. Well that doesnt work for me sorry. They need a more effective platform. Lets get real...yea i want free shit who doesnt=rich people. What we need to do as a country is observe other successful countries and how they do it. We arent the only people on earth why do it alone.

Last edited:

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Their platform is not there. If all you have is to oppose the democratic party, thats not a solid solution to this country. If you take the average american, they look for inspiration and ways to better the communities and their individual way of life. Republicans have never once proposed anything like this in recent times. If anything, they fight to make sure things stay exactly the same before Obama stepped in-thats not what people want. I have voted for both republicans and democrats so i dont have a committment to one party, i choose the better candidate with the best ideas-as do most Americans. Lets face it, propaganda is very effective and republicans lack ideas. Obama's presentation as a candidate was solid whether you like him or not you have to admit that.

Sorry to disappoint but the Republicans do indeed have a platform and it is much more than just opposing the Democrats. Do some research, find the differences on matters such as taxes and social programs (welfare/medicare/and more)

Propaganda? I can give you that, but there is also an equal amount of propaganda which gets churned and spun by the Democrats. It's politics and they each have an agenda.

Some like what the Republicans have to say and offer and others like what the Democrats have to say. There are also those who are fed up with both parties.

Reactions: DarthJoey75

matticus201

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The fiscally conservative 'moderate' republicans have been replaced by the social 'religious' conservatives. That wing votes in the primaries and gets their candidates on the ballot for general elections. To the religious right, compromise is a dirty word. The rigid social conservatism is not in step with the country. For example, both republican and democrat women voters are overwhelmingly for reproductive rights and the say over their own bodies. Rigid religious conservatism, and it's control of republican primaries, is causing a decline in republican registration, which in turn make the primary pool even more strident.

Bingo.

Reactions: AdamHenry

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i dont disagree with you on that. So what is the republican response? to oppose it. Well that doesnt work for me sorry. They need a more effective platform. Lets get real...yea i want free shit who doesnt=rich people. What we need to do as a country is observe other successful countries and how they do it. We arent the only people on earth why do it alone.
Well of course they oppose it, they are the opposition party after all. There are tons of issues the Democrats oppose the Republicans on.

It's not as if one side is always opposing the other. They both oppose each other. Look at the dozens (if not hundreds) of pieces of legislation that have passed through the Republican House yet never to see the light of day for a vote in the Democratic controlled Senate. They didn't bring all that legislation to a vote for a reason, because the Democrats oppose it.

This is a natural back and forth that has occurred in politics for centuries through various political party struggles.

Heat

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The GOP platform has never worked and doesn't work now. Its economic policy has been a supposition and a sack full of rhetoric that never, ever plays out correctly. If you read Paul Krugman and other pundits you understand why. Furthermore, the GOP is no longer relevant because its been proven to be a bunch of liars and hypocrites that steal from the poor to give to the rich -- in the form of cost cutting for those things that keep an economy afloat while creating loopholes to reward the upper percentile -- most of who make their wealth off investments versus real labor. In other words, the GOP is a fucking sham.

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They're against people! I believe there are those who want to bring down this country. They make sure kids can't afford to go to school. Kids are our future. Don't want to pay people descent salaries so they can survive. Cut benefits for our beloved veterans. Tell you who you can love and who you can't. Trying everywhere to keep people from voting. Want to start and fight wars, bankrupting our country. And the real bitch of it all is wealthy people don't pay taxes which means they don't pay their way to live in this country. Do we want people like this telling us what to do? I don't think so!

Last edited:

D_Malcolm_MacPudd

Account Disabled
Media
Its 90% FOX news fault for the public distrust. In the famous words of their most popular news host "Obama has a deep-seated hatred for white people"-Glenn Beck.
Nobody can back a party whose network says global warming is a scam, obama hates whites etc. Thats bad propaganda. My strategy- if i were a republican candidate-I would suggest a break away from FOX news, for republicans to basically denounce it as legit. Just being associated with FOX is career ending in the eyes of most. Colbert's whole premise is based off of how absurd republican news can often be.

Last edited:
Reactions: osid

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
They sold their souls to the religious right, and as a result, have become increasingly "out there" to many independents. When presidential candidates from the same political party all (or almost all...I don't remember) raise their hands when asked "Who here doesn't believe in evolution?" then there's really nothing further they can say that will be in any way interpreted by me as being intelligent. And I'm not alone in that assessment. Yes, it's not everything, but it's a big indication on how the rest will be handled -- sticking to dogma despite evidence that it isn't true, or isn't working.

When was the last time a Republican could get away with saying something like this?

Last edited:

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Republican Party has to pander to the right-wing extremist who are rich, Christian, heterosexual-in-public-tap-my-foot-in-the-Airport-bathroom white men that fund the party. Rich people get more for free than poor people. And at Uncle Sam's expense. Blaming welfare is a form of covert racism. Welfare wasn't a big problem for the Republican party when it benefited white mothers back in the mid-20th century.

Hopefully, the Fox News party is on the decline for a while...

Frank Rich on Fox News, Roger Ailes -- New York Magazine

B_underguy1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The Repubs' biggest problem is that the Democrats have taken all their right wing economic policies so they've gone nutty in seeking a point of difference.

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The Repubs' biggest problem is that the Democrats have taken all their right wing economic policies so they've gone nutty in seeking a point of difference.

Or, in many cases, "seeking a point of difference" by denouncing policies espoused by Democrats today even when they are basically the same as those by Republicans a few years back. Many Republicans seem to define themselves as being to the right of Democrats, but as Democrats move toward the center, that means many Republicans move themselves to the edge of lunacy (and often beyond). What this means, for me, is that many Democrats are willing to evolve their ideas to solve problems as they come along, whereas many Republicans dig in their heels to preserve their dogma above all else. It seems they've melded a bit too much with religious fundamentalism in that regard.

Reactions: lookatthat