Yeah, yeah, yeah. He's anti-semetic, but...

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...what about his misogyny?

Trevor Noah: Jon Stewart's replacement faces online criticism over 'anti-Semitic' tweets - People - News - The Independent

A day after the Daily Show announced Trevor Noah as Jon Stewart's replacement, it came out that he has made some anti-semetic tweets in the past. I read them, and you can Google him and read them too. Frankly, I found him to be anti-Israel, which is not exactly the same thing as anti-semetic. But I'm not writing to argue the semantics on that point. What I want to know is why no one is talking about the fact that he is anti-women. Even in the article to which I have linked you above, which displays very few of the tweets people are decriyng as anti-semetic, and almost exclusively offering up sexist posts, only discusses his activity as being anti-semetic. Are women just not important at all? Not even a little?

Wow. Strikingly misogynistic tweets. Kind of stupid, too - like someone posting angry and drunk. It will be interesting to see how he does. I never watched Stewart's show but I enjoyed YouTube highlights. Hard act to follow.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, I guess Comedy Central doesn't care about women as a demographic. At any rate, that's not the point. Why is every media outlet which has seized on the story only talking about the (non-existent in my opinion) anti-semitism, and not discussing the sexism? Moreover, if they are going to discuss the bigotry at all, why not call it out as the anti-Israel rhetoric it is, and ask more about why someone would be opposed to the existence and actions of the country? He has said nothing that is actually derogatory against Jewish as people, nor Israelite as people, at least nothing I have seen. While it is a sensational twist to a story to have it be about him replacing an outspoken Jewish man, and be an anti-semite, why o additional exploration of other prejudices?

Naughty Teacher

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, I'm not a Twitter user. So, this guy isn't someone I know well. Your post is literally the first I've heard of this, but I'm willing to take a look.

Maybe feminism is a bit different in south africa? He may change his act a bit to reflect his new audience?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I dunno, man. He's worldly and speaks 6 languages. But whether there are viable excuses for him or not, why, is there no public discussion of his sexism, even if the debate is between journalists who debate whether the sexism is as bad as the anti-Israel stuff, or whether or not it is funny, or whether or not it is contextually acceptable? Why is the issue completely ignored?

I see headlines appearing in online news now referring to his tweets against "Jews and women." It's good to know the news services are reading your thoughtful posts too, AE. :)

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I dunno, man. He's worldly and speaks 6 languages. But whether there are viable excuses for him or not, why, is there no public discussion of his sexism, even if the debate is between journalists who debate whether the sexism is as bad as the anti-Israel stuff, or whether or not it is funny, or whether or not it is contextually acceptable? Why is the issue completely ignored?

I agree with you. I have to question the vetting process here. Big turn off.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I see headlines appearing in online news now referring to his tweets against "Jews and women." It's good to know the news services are reading your thoughtful posts too, AE. :)
Wow. I have successfully turned LPSG into my own personal blog from which to control... erm... influence the media. Muahahahahaha!

I agree with you. I have to question the vetting process here. Big turn off.
I don;t have cable anymore, so I wasn't going to watch anyway. What ever happened to Craig Kilborn? Anyone?

I wouldn't classify those tweets as comedy.

What a pig. I'd really hoped Jessica Williams or Samantha Bee would've taken over.
Yeah, I kind of wanted Wyatt Cenac. LOL

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You are a powerful person. You make dragons! :-D
LOL

Ms. Altered is Khaleesi?
Sadly, for better or worse, my dragons do not breathe fire. Also, they eat too many cookies and have thre carb-out sleepies.

so he can make fun of everyone, but not women?

he's a comedian. He's obviously not anti-women.
I'm not so sure. He's a political satirist, and that's not satire. It's sexist.

Wow... what a dick. Why'd they pick him ?
Probably because he is worldly, knowledgeable, smart, a polyglot, and an experienced writer and political satirist. I think he's not the worst choice in the world. No matter who they put in, they'll put in a biased person. We're all prejudiced. Still, we should all be striving to be better.

Gecko4lif

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wouldn't classify those tweets as comedy.

What a pig. I'd really hoped Jessica Williams or Samantha Bee would've taken over.

Why, they aren't funny. At all.

Also I don't know who the new guy is and have never seen him on the show despite hi apparenly having been a correspondent

SlamminSammy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Charlotte (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...what about his misogyny?

Trevor Noah: Jon Stewart's replacement faces online criticism over 'anti-Semitic' tweets - People - News - The Independent

A day after the Daily Show announced Trevor Noah as Jon Stewart's replacement, it came out that he has made some anti-semetic tweets in the past. I read them, and you can Google him and read them too. Frankly, I found him to be anti-Israel, which is not exactly the same thing as anti-semetic. But I'm not writing to argue the semantics on that point. What I want to know is why no one is talking about the fact that he is anti-women. Even in the article to which I have linked you above, which displays very few of the tweets people are decriyng as anti-semetic, and almost exclusively offering up sexist posts, only discusses his activity as being anti-semetic. Are women just not important at all? Not even a little?

I've never heard of him, but if he's anti-Israel as you say, then I like him already.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
this reminds me of the pile on over that woman flying to africa who tweeted she hoped she "didn't get HIV- just kidding i'm white "

And how her whole life was destroyed before her plane landed, all because people who didn't even know her and weren't even following her had no fucking clue that her joke was actually making fun of WHITE people…and their myopic view of the world's troubles not affecting them.

Its call sarcasm. and its a pretty powerful tool for positive change… because nobody likes being laughed at. And when people are ridiculed for being entitled, by parodying their entitlement… they have a tendency to tone down their entitlement.

But, of course… in the world of political correctness… it is a sin to make any joke about anyone but yourself. ( strike that- these days a crippled standup comic would still get pilloried for making a joke about being crippled )

Folks really gotta get over the OFFENSEFEST being perpetrated by the thought police of this world.

These tweets, coming from a professional comedian and entertainer tell you absolutely NOTHING about how he personally feels about women, jews, or anything else.

He makes a joke about how he needs to start lying to women, and oversensitive, easily bruised banana-people the world over think he was making a joke at the expense of women when he was actually saying he had a small penis. A joke at his OWN expense.

His joke about twice as rich Jews in the Rap industry was meant to shine a light on the inequality that even talented and successful black people suffer in the entertainment world… sure- some are getting such… but the folks who control that industry are making a lot more.

My issue with the guy is that he's been on air 3 whole times, and frankly… i thought he pretty much bombed each time. His timing was off, his delivery was awkward and his inflection did not always get the joke across. I haven't seen anything from him in his few appearances that justifies his taking over the show at all… but then, I haven't reviewed the hundreds of hours of tape from his prior career that the producers of the Daily show must have to select him.

But as to castigating a comic for making jokes…. that's like judging your gardener for the way he pulls weeds.

Lighten the fuck up. Folks who are so easily offended have no fucking business even watching a comedy show… because chances are they have shit were their sense of humor should be.

Last edited: