£&$

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Rugbypup, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Having a discussion here...

Professional sports folk and the high wages they are paid.

Is it a question of they work bloody hard for it and deserve the 6 figure salaries...

...or...

..other than demonstrating a bit of skill, they actually do fuck all and should not be paid so much for doing it. They should have a capped wage and any money in excess of that should be gifted to charities of their choice.

Am interested in what you guys might think?

2. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

In the US they get 8 figure salaries, and no I do not feel they deserve it. It's only sports! I don't feel they should be making that much money even if they do have talent. It will never happen, but the salaries should be lowered all around so when a player is getting $5 million it's considered a lot. It is a lot of money!

Sports is business, big business, and you'd have to lower seat prices, merchandising, network fees; it would never happen. As far as charities go, that is a nice suggestion, but it wouldn't work either. And many of them give to charities anyway. It would be like your boss telling you that once you reach a certain pay the rest of your money is going to charity.

Professional sports is comparable to show business. At one time there were only a few stars making a million per picture. Now the top ones get $20 million and $1 million is like a pauper's pay. And I've read where a star will get $5 million for a movie, and if it does well they receive double that for their next flick.

I'd like to see my pay double in a year!

3. bottombuddy

bottombuddy Member

defenitely overpaid for what they do but then again the sport makes bucketfulls from advertising and such so its better the players get it than club funds...players also retire from their sport at a younger age.....i still however feel the wages are gross and all sport is grossly over rated........there are far more poeple within society that work way harder for alot less pay - and yes you will find that folk with the shittiest jobs work way harder than morst folk.

4. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

CEO compensation is through the roof.
    Forbes reported for fiscal 2005 that the heads of the top 500 U.S. corporations made $5.4 billion. That worked out to just under $11 million each, including salary, bonuses and other compensation.
    President Bush, with, one often hears, the world’s hardest job, made only $400,000, along with a $50,000 expense account, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account, and $19,000 for entertainment, for a total of $569,000.
    Not a novel observation, I know, but ... sumpin’s out of whack.

5. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I think sports figures make entirely too much money. It's absolutely insane. No one needs that much for anything.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some of them are extraordinarily skilled. Does that justify enormous salaries as well as freedom from having to observe laws or behavior the rest of us are subject to? Not in my eyes.

I think they should be paid whatever the market is willing to pay them. If that means outrageous salaries, so be it.

That said, I think what should always be pointed out is the disparity between what athletes competing in frivolous games earn as opposed to those who really do make a difference in our communities. It says much about our values.

7. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I actually think this too. Most people think that pro athletes are overpaid, but if you pay to go see them, why shouldn't they get the money? (At the same time, I never hear people complaining that actors and rock stars make too much money... and it's really the same thing. If you pay to see them/hear them, then why not?)

Another thing is that pro athletes risk physical injury every time they go out and play. I've watched enough sports to know this - I've seen injuries happen while they are out there. It's a dangerous job, actually...

8. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie, SpeedoGuy.
    I agree with both your points ... that the market should prevail (unless we decide we are not in a capitalist system), and that what is implied about our values is not flattering.

I've heard people complain about the salaries of entertainment figures, whatireallywant.

True, their jobs can be dangerous. But less dangerous than those of firefighters, or crop-dusting pilots, or oil well workers. And they make pittances.

9. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    If society allows outrageous salaries to pro athletes, so be it. (I could give a shit if they are "skilled" or not, but that's not the point here).

I wouldn't go to a professional sport for nothing, but if you want to pay the price, pay it. Obviously, many folks do.

Blame capitalism. Capitalism is capitalism...ain't nothing Christian or Buddhist about it. But, yet we are one nation under God.:rolleyes:

I am pretty much a minority in every way (including my "wow-of-gem peter").

10. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's the thing. Viewing big time sports on TV or in person is just entertainment. I might question the importance society attaches to big time sporting spectacles but I wouldn't presume to limit access to them because of my own distaste for them.

11. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Yeah, that's true, they are very underpaid. But of course they don't have the "entertainment factor" - people aren't shelling out money for tickets to see firefighters put out fires. :biggrin1:

I actually haven't heard anyone complain about the money that actors and rock stars make - just pro athletes. I figure if you're going to complain about one, you should complain about all.

My gripe is not with athletes or actors or rock stars, but with corporate CEOs who get paid sometimes even more, through unethical business practices, underpaying their employees, outsourcing or moving the manufacturing to countries without those pesky human rights and environmental regulations, etc. :mad: (That's one of those "don't get me started" topics, though...)

Not saying that ALL CEOs are that way though, or that all businesses are run that way. Costco is a good example of a business that is run ethically.

12. viking1

Gold Member

I complain about all these overly bloated salaries. Whether athletes, musicians, or top management. Just let all peons sit down for a while, and see what all these rich spoiled brats do then. I want to see them run factories, play sports, make movies, or music without, truck drivers, mechanics, electricians, equipment handlers, general laborers, etc.

13. RobinSF

RobinSF Member

The salaries are obscene, but I guess that is capitalism. I wouldn't mind those "stars" having to pay 10% of those contracts for the first four years after college into a scholarship for low income students (based on intellect, not sports) to pay back for the free ride they got.

14. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sports is big business.

Great analogy with sports and show biz. It's also a matter of economics - supply and demand. There is such a high demand for quality sports, that people pay top dollar. If the athletes can get $15 million, they're going to get it.

I was at the mall last week and there was a NFL display. They were selling "field issue" football jerseys. I asked the guy what field issue meant? He said that the shirts were the exact shirts that the players wear. The price per shirt was $289. I was blown away. It must be nice to drop that kind of change on a football jersey.

15. No_Strings

Gold Member

Of course they're overpaid, but the money has to be distributed somehow. You could completely reset all franchises, teams, stadiums and leagues and it would simply grow into a huge thing in the same way because it's popular.

One team becomes dominant in a league, players get paid more to stay, more spectators watch, more seats are needed, ticket prices increase, more exposure draws in more sponsorship, TV coverage, higher wages, yadda, yadda, yadda. Really quite a simple model.
    It happens because people are willing to spend their money.

Capitalism? Capitalism's role in sports star salaries is akin to a human's role in global warming.

Draft saved Draft deleted