£100,000,000 is a lot of money...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_dumbcow, Aug 29, 2008.

1. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    £100m appeal to keep Titian works

Two galleries are hoping to raise £100m to buy a pair of paintings by Italian Renaissance artist Titian.

The Duke of Sutherland is offering the works to the National Galleries of Scotland and the National Gallery in London for £50m each.
    If the galleries raise the funds to buy Diana and Actaeon, then the second painting - Diana and Callisto - will be offered for sale in four years.
    The figure represents one third of their estimated open market value.
    The paintings were created as part of a cycle of works for King Philip II of Spain from 1556 to 1559.

~*snip*~

Speaking to the BBC's Today programme, Mr Leighton maintained the investment was essential, despite current pressure on public spending.
    "We would never argue that expenditure should be diverted from all those important areas - whether it's health, defence, or whatever - but we do have to keep spending on culture," he said.
    "Every so often you just have to make a major investment in the quality of our National Collections.
    "Not every year, not every ten years, [but] once or twice a century and that moment is now."

Under the deal, the galleries will be offered each painting in turn. They have until the end of this year to commit to buying the first. Titian (Tiziano Vecellio) is acknowledged as one of the greatest colourists of all time, who pioneered the use of oil paints, and paved the way for generations of artists to come. _________________________

I'm all for culture and whatnot being part of our society, but £100m?
    Does anybody else think that is a bit excessive when the money could be used to go towards something more... useful?

Seriously, give me £100m and I'd do a whole lot more good to the world than buy two paintings to show to the public. (and no, I wouldn't just go to the sweet shop and buy a billion fizzy cola bottles) :smile:

Any thoughts?

2. earllogjam

Gold Member

The paintings are investments - like sticking money in the bank. They will be more valuable as time goes on. They are not like shoes you buy at Macy's that you wear out and throw away.

3. Gl3nn

Gold Member

It's a lot of money indeed and it could be spent on health care etc.

But I think culture is very important as well. It learns us about culture, history, art, ...

But maybe that's just me liking arts...

And exactly earllogjam, they will raise in value in the future. So it's a good investment as well.

4. cockoloco

Gold Member

Albums:
    The exchange rates are going crazy worldwide, and an art investment is a good one nowadays.

Those 100M were not to be used otherwise and they suddenly decided to buy the paintings. I think it's a good thing, but of course I agree that 100M (of dollars, euro, pounds, mexican peso, whatever! is a lot! 100M!!!)

Draft saved Draft deleted