1.5 Million forcefully evicted.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by eddyabs, Aug 9, 2008.

1. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    I posted this in another thread in 'etc. etc.', but I feel it warrants its own thread as it is majorly topical right now, and the headline speaks volumes. It's been spoken of before in this forum, but when I hear all the 'oohs' and 'aahs' over the opening ceremony of the Olympics, it just makes me sick to the stomach.

Here is the repost, and I hope it makes some people reconsider their views on the debacle that is the Chinese Olympics.

The opening ceremony I am sure was SPECTACULAR, and within the next 20 years I am sure that another opening ceremony will be written about in such lustful regard.

In the meantime however, what about the Chinese Governments blatant disregard for it's own people in its drive to create this spectacle that will create wonder and awe? While you are all 'oooohing' and 'aaaahing', RIGHT now there are HUNDREDS of thousands of people left destitute, homeless, beaten by developers and governmental thugs, or locked up in jail for complaining. Also, some have gone missing. Don't believe me, watch THIS.

OVER 1.5 MILLION Chinese people have been evicted, often by brute force, to make way for the Chinese Olympics.

Not some bandwagon that I have pointedly jumped on either, but in all actuality, a fact I have known about for some years. After reading 'Seven Years in Tibet' as a teenager, I've always felt anger and reproachment at the Chinese Government and watch them with a suspicious eye.

Also, yes actually, they do use slave labour in China, much of the official olympic merchandise on offer were made by children, working long hours for a menial wage. In this day and age, that to me is slave labour. And the Chinese Government are very canny....if found out, they will report the finding of the child labour factory in the (state controlled) press, and say that officials are investigating. In the meantime, the labour goes on. But the World thinks...'ok, something is being done'.

All you who choose to enjoy the Olympics, you should do....after all thousands of innocent people were forced out of their homes and livelihoods, with little or no recompense, destitute, in jail for protesting...after all, nothing untoward must be seen on China's tightly controlled streets.

These are PEOPLE WITH SOULS, HUMAN BEINGS, not just stories, or pixels on a screen.
    Keep those blinkers on, while you watch the games on your huge plasma screen in your cosy home, with your Grandparents, parents, spouses, your children...all that you hold dear, privileged and safe.

Again, watch THIS... (if you dare).

WOW, just look at that amazing Olympic Torch.

BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT.

If we truly live in a World where our people, our kind, can so easily turn a blind eye to the wrongs done by the corrupt powers that be to others, then lets face it, we are FUCKED.

It's fucking shameful. And utter shame on those who wilfully wear those blinkers. Shame on you.

#1 eddyabs, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  2. scottbud

scottbud Active Member

Albums:
    Wow I clicked on this thread expecting to read about ejaculation...... how disapointed I am.

3. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    True.

If people of power had any brains or hearts, they would simply say "We aren't participating in the 2008 Olympics due to the high amount of human rights violations".

4. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

At the same time though, it generated a lot of jobs for migrant workers. Sucked for some, great for others.

5. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    to say 1.5 million people were forcefully evicted is a lie. Many just moved when they were asked and only a few were actually needed to be drug out of there homes. And the number is no where near 1.5 million maybe thousands. Some people just can't leave well enough alone its not even your country. Worry about shit in your own country. China is a soverign nation isn't it. Maybe you'd be happy if 10's of thousands died going to war over a few people who had to move. Nothing will help these people by boycotting the Olympics so why waste your breath.

#5 Deno, Aug 9, 2008
  6. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh really? First off, you obviously didn't bother to watch the link I posted in the OP.

Read here.

Read here.

Read here.

Read here.

Read here.

Just a few of many.

If you're going to take the time to post a reply based on your half baked assumptions, please don't bother to post at all. Might be an idea to research before you post your convoluted sky-high reply mate.

AGAIN...watch this link.

7. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

eddyabs: What's going on in China behind the scenes is a tragedy. But do you honestly expect countries to boycott the Olympics because of this? You and I both know that no major country was going to do something that extreme. If anything, nobody outside of China knows the real story so who are we to judge? They do have a different governing system than both of our countries, so we can't just look at their situation as if they were (or should be) governed by our own.

I'm not saying that is an excuse to let Beijing go without heavy criticism, but no country was going to miss taking part in the Olympics and everyone knew this. We just have to learn how to accept it for now. It would be more of a travesty to stop an event that affects billions of people worldwide. Once we get through the Olympics, then let's look at their track record and the mistakes they made.

#7 B_VinylBoy, Aug 9, 2008
  8. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    I hear you mate, my point was to do with personal choice, and challenging peoples views of the Beijing Olympics. In an ideal world, yes, there would be boycotts, but that hasn't happened.

Personally, I was always going to boycott the games, I am just going on the evidence, I had already heard about the forced evictions 3 years back, the BBC interviewed a guy who had his business and home bulldozed with a weeks notice...he was justifiably angry and distraught. The Beeb went back a year later, and could not find him.

My point is about challenging what is acceptable. To me, this mass forced eviction is utterly sickening...please watch the link in the OP. It's not just about evictions, it's about human right violation, which has occured in spades in this incident.

For me, it is just NOT ok. I cannot bring myself to watch these games with a clear conscience. I cannot, and will not, accept it.

9. Principessa

Gold Member

Migrant workers? :eek: Who the hell migrates to China for a better life? :confused: It's not like they don't have enough people to do the work.

To the OP I understand your outrage but it's called eminent domain in the USA and it sucks royally. :angryfire2: Boycotting the Olympics is a political move which would crush the hopes and dreams of too many athletes. I fail to see how having even the top 5 countries with the most participants boycott would have helped that situation. As for everybody boycotting it so that a real voice of the people could be heard in Beijing, you must be smoking some wacky weed! :lmao: Heck, half the time even the UN can't agree on a specific plan of action in critical situations.

10. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hey njqt466, I totally understand that I cannot stop everyone from viewing the Olympics, again, it's a personal view, I just want to challenge peoples views, in a challenging forum.

If I can enlighten anyone, then I have succeeded in something. A lot of people know of this already, a lot do not. Of course I don't expect to succeed in a worldwide boycott. Indeed I would be smoking some hot very wacky weed. (I wish I had some!).

I really lose heart in this World when so many choose to ignore the plight of the abused. If the majority chose to boycott viewing the Olympics, then that would at least make a point, and be noticed.

As for 'eminent domain', the compensation these people received, although lower than they deserved, was a fortune compared to the little or NO compensation these 1.5 million evictees received, plus, I am sure that they didn't get beaten by the governmental or developers thugs, or locked up in jail, or made to 'disappear'. My mate Jon is in China and he says that there are homeless people everywhere, he rang me 2 days ago and said, 'it is shocking'.

Just more injustice to rack up in the well of this World's wrongs.

(ps..did you watch the link?)

#10 eddyabs, Aug 9, 2008
  11. AG08

Gold Member

I admire your passion, but using profanity doesn't make your argument stronger, it just cheapens and weakens it. Your argument was good until you started using profanity. At that point it just came off as ranting.

12. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I get tired of people pushing there worthless ideals on others too but you don't see me going on and on and on about it. Let them have there glory. It didn't harm your ass.

13. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    In all honesty mate, it is an argument and a rant, the two are often a pair, and sometimes, the use of profanity (in my experience), is useful in expressing exasperation at ignorance.

Nonetheless, you say that it weakens the argument, I disagree, no matter what, the facts speak loud and clear.

14. AG08

Gold Member

To me, using profanity shows the lack of ability to formulate a strong position on an issue. I teach people how to do this for a living, so I should know. The use of profanity never makes an argument stronger. It just makes an audience lose respect for the person making the argument. Profanity does equal ignorance. This is why it is never used in formal situations. Do you ever see politicians and the royal family cussing at each other in a public forum? My point is this, you don't need profanity to make a good argument. If you choose to continue doing so, that is your right, but it doesn't strengthen your argument and it doesn't earn you any respect.

15. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    There is no glory in expressing a view. And I am sure that many would agree that it is not a 'worthless ideal'. That's your viewpoint which in my mind is a 'worthless ideal' that you have been 'going on and on about' also.....but I don't see your repeated ideal as 'pushing on to others'....that's just your viewpoint.

It would be helpful if you could describe, exactly why do you think it's a 'worthless ideal' to stand up and take notice of Human Rights violations?

16. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    People use profanity, should I apologise? No.

My point has been made, which is exactly what this forum is for, now if you are so adept at public speaking, how about using it to make an appropriate response to the topic of this thread?

17. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

What eddyabs has to say is valid and so what if we don't live there?
    Do we have to be involved to feel for those poor people being forcefully removed from their homes? Beaten up for resisting? Tortured for resisting?
    This also goes on right here in the U.S. and I suspect if it happens to some of you who's opinions are " well it's the law" or "mind your own business" you wouldn't be quite so lackadaisical about it.
    So much for empathy from lpsg eddyabs.
    Although we have had past "altercations" I want to thank you for providing this article.
    I found it quite horrifying to think we place an athletes right to compete over human rights. That in itself is quite shocking.
    Swear on bro' it is neccesary in some conversations!
    cigarbabe:saevil:

#17 B_cigarbabe, Aug 9, 2008
  18. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks CB, my viewpoint of you has just changed radically, the fact that you care so much for the dispossessed and abused, speaks volumes, really, about your soul and spirit. You care. And thankyou for being one of the few to make an appropriate reply to the topic of this thread.

It is MOTHERFUCKING:eek: shameful.

19. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Nobody. But Chinese people migrate within China to find work.

20. jack65

jack65 New Member

To bad you did not live about 200 yrs ago you could of boycotted the UK for slave trading,sending people to a different county because they had to steal just to feed there kids, bla bla bla..........

my point is all our countries have bad histories when it comes to human rights, and the poms lead the way!, china is no different except they now have a open door policy that has not been so for over 5000 yrs ( approx ) they now are trying to be part of the world community, There young people are now saying we must stop this treatment of people and do better, the question is how do we as outsiders help them ( the government of China)to see what there doing is not good.

One way is to boycott every thing they do that involves inviting the world into there country, but i would think this is a lost opportunity really, i mean how many young ( and old ) would you meet while there? what stories of freedom and better human rights could you convey to them? There are so many things we as nations could do with out insulting them and having there governments say "fuck you! were going to close our doors again because the worlds nations are rude inhospitable pigs, we open our doors and harts to them and extended the hand of friendship only to be slapped in the face by those that did the same thing, was it us who traded millions of black people because we thought they stupid?"
    Now to all the black persons i do not think that, I'm saying this was the barbaric thoughts of old.
    Yes we should be upset about ANY human rights abuse including our own countries, how many homeless are on your streets? should i now boycott the UK? man don't go to Disneyland after wading though the homeless and beggars there you may boycott the yanks as well!

Why do you try to take the twig out of your bothers eye yet fail to see the log in your own eye?
    Fix your place up 1st then go and tell every one else how to do it!

These are my views only,

Draft saved Draft deleted