1 Arm Push-Ups, Can YOU do them?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by goodwood, Sep 2, 2010.

1. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Okay -

so tonight after work and supper was had, house mate and i watching t.v. and some guy did a 1 arm push-up and house mate said "YEAH, RIGHT"
    as though a guy could not do that.

so i said "what are you talking about? I can do that.". and he laughed.

well that pissed me off.

so i said "well, laugh if you will, but laugh if i do it" and got on the floor and did a couple 2 handed push ups and then on the third time down threw my left hand behind my lower back just above my butt and lowered myself by my right arm in perfect form and then back up again.

i have not done this in probably 15 years. the fact that it took me 2 tries to do this made me realize i have turned into a weakling and need to be doing this on a more regular basis.

what made me mad is that when at full rest on my stomach with my right hand centered under my chest that i could not push myself up. that will be the goal to go from dead weight to push up with one hand - none of this mamsy-pamsy bull shit of having 2 two handed push ups to get momentum. lol.

so - when was the last time YOU did a one handded push up from dead weight, or at all?

2. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I can do one or two on each side - girly style.
    My upper body/core strength are not where they need to be for one-arm or dive bomber pushups. :(

3. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    kittie -
    that is impressive! keep up the good work.
    i have never known a woman to be able to
    do a 1 arm push-up - girlie style or not.
    toned arms are a good thing. : )

4. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Thank you! Yeah, they're the shakiest push-ups you can imagine, but help me gauge gains in upper body strength (been training pretty hard for almost 6 months).

5. D_Maurice Mountlilly

D_Maurice Mountlilly Account Disabled

6. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not in many years!

7. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

From Wikipedia:

Four decades after his film debut, Jack Palance won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor on March 30, 1992, for his performance as cowboy Curly Washburn in the 1991 comedy City Slickers. Stepping onstage to accept the award, the intimidatingly fit 6' 4" (1.93 m) actor looked down at 5' 7" (1.70 m) Oscar host Billy Crystal (who was also his co-star in the movie), and joked — mimicking one of his lines from the film — "Billy Crystal... I crap bigger than him." He then dropped to the floor and demonstrated his ability, at age 73, to perform one-handed push-ups.

I used to be able to do them ... one or two.
    Cain't now, tho.
    :eek:
    Here's Jack.

#7 D_Gunther Snotpole, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  8. Pecker Check

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Careful, boys. The stuff you do in your youth may come back to haunt you in your late 60s. I used to do an occasional one-arm pushup (reasonably well, too). Problem was I did this stuff too rarely (along with push ups standing on my hand with my feet up against a wall. I'm guessing you have to do these things consistently so as not to do harm that you'll regret later. For the past two months I've been dealing with the ravages of cervical spinal stenosis. Tremendous pain in right shoulder blade and arm. Any connection with past macho madness? (Who knows)

9. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    just tried some, never really did before. tho some similar things.
    I was suprised that i actually managed it on the first attempt.

10. D_Boeing Boink

D_Boeing Boink New Member

I use to be able to do two or three when I was younger, but now at 68 yo I can only manage regular pushups and then only about 30 at a time. Those last ten are hell for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted