10-Day-Old Baby Denied Health Care Coverage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TurkeyWithaSunburn, Mar 26, 2010.

1. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    10-Day-Old Baby Denied Health Care Coverage - cbs11tv.com

Yup gotta stop that healthcare bill at ANY COST!!! Amazing that the gigantic greedy insurance company can't see the god damned writing on the wall they will be required to cover this baby.

How can anyone see any reasoning with this?

2. chgorunner

chgorunner New Member

Why dont they have health insurance? how risky can you be? They should have insured the mother prior to the pregnancy that way the child would have been insured. In event they could not afford it social services for Arapahoe County would have given them a health card.
    What they are doing is like going to local bank and asking for a loan the day after going bankrupt. reckless people like this have now caused all of us to change our healthcare and healthcare standards
    Eitherway the child will get the needed medical care.
    Happy Ceasar Chavez Day!

3. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    hey runner, what in the hell is wrong with you? You obviously have no idea what it's like to be poor. Think death by a thousand small humiliations. Think hunger and malnutrition. Think asthma and other diseases from terrible housing and living in the shittiest areas of a city. Think ignorance born of the destruction of public education in this country by the GOP over the last 30 years. Have you ever applied for public aid? Do you know how complicated it is?

Somebody ought to drop you off in an inner-city neighborhood and see what you think after you walk your way out, asshole.

4. chgorunner

chgorunner New Member

just more re active blah blah- sometime you should ask yourself how does a guy know about health cards, medicaide and country health care. Then you may if you are having a good day surmise- BING hey he must work with low income people.
    Do you have alot of hunger and malnutrition in Boston? Lot sick folks on the streets? Probably not- because we offer services and net works. But if you are to lazy to get a healthcard for a new born- well you are reckless in my opinon.
    applyiing for public aid is really easy- there are people who will even do it on your behalf if you are unwilling or unable to do so-

5. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

We'll always have poor people among us. The solution you mention is what I would do. I'm on the same page as you, however I don't fully understand why people are caught in our inner cities. For most of us public assistance is a temporary safety net. When people cross over into seeing it as an entitlement is often when good people go bad.

6. hud01

Gold Member

You obviously did not read the story. They don't have insurance on themselves. They have it on their children. They tried to add the baby at birth, which is the earliest you can add, but were told, since the baby was born with this, that it is a pre-existing conditon, so the baby was denied coverage.

Oh yeah, they don't live in Colorado, which is the Arapahoe County reference, I am assuming. They live in Tarrant County in Texas.

To let you know, people in Texas have died when private hospitals have denied them service, sending them to nearby public hospitals.

May be you should spend less time being smug and more time actually attempting to understand an issue.

7. Incocknito

Gold Member

Health is a business in America! Not a service and definitely not a charity!

It's the baby's fault for being born and the parents' fault for not having enough money to pay the medical bill!

It has nothing to do with insurance premiums and (over)charging. Or ridiculous stipulations.

I wonder though: what's the point of health insurance if you can't get it when you clearly have a medical illness?

Seems to me as though they only want to give insurance to healthy people who are less likely to ever need to call on their insurance. Which means more $$$ for the company.

8. hud01

Gold Member

Damn skippy

9. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

Yes, insurance is the only business I know where you pay into the system for umpteen years, then have to sue to collect. That's why I think it needs regulation.

10. hud01

Gold Member

And then they raise your rates or drop you.

11. chgorunner

chgorunner New Member

Maybe you should be so snippy-
    What I read in the article was that the child received the necessary treatment/procedure. Had the mother made application for a medicaide or county health card the benefits would have passed through to the new born.

I would like to see a list of what people in Texas have died waiting for services- a great drama statement but without basis

I work with a woman who has been in the US 19yrs illegally- in that time she has had 4 children all at great hospitals, all those kids have health cards, IL link cards, and get optical and dental service as well. Our system works just fine- in all 50 states if you use the services available to you.
    I understand the issue more than you realize- just because I don't agree does not give you the right to be somehow superior.

12. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    You can't buy health insurance for a fetus. The parents did buy health insurance for their children. The article said that both parents were small business owners. These are the people who often fall through the crack. Medicaid is for people of "limited means". As small business owners they probably DID NOT QUALIFY for public assistance. At the same time, health Insurance for the self employed is VERY EXPENSIVE on the open market. You don't get a "group rate". That is my situation. I buy my insurance on the open market and pay 840 dollars a MONTH plus co-pays and deductibles. They did the best they could with what they have.

13. hud01

Gold Member

Ok you have contradicted your position, again. You talk about medicaid and a county health card. Personally I have never heard of a county health card. It doesn't exist where I live and I would like you to prove that Texas has it.

Now to the point, you don't want gov't healthcare, but this is what you talk about. The government is paying for the child's care. This is even worse, as the family is not contributing to the costs.

You lost your argument when you stated that they tried to get insurance too late, when they didn't.

If I have time I will find the articles about what has happened to people who were refused care at private hospitals.

14. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

That's always been my question... I got in a fairly nasty car wreck a few years back, and at the time I had 3 different insurances covering me (2 pretty good car policies and my health insurance). But instead of that meaning I was covered with ease, it instead gave them all the invitation to pass the buck to someone else. It wound up on State Farm's head, who then refused to do ANYTHING, including give me car rental reimbursement or money for my car without me literally filing suit against them and their customer (the guy who hit me, who was 100% at fault).

They screwed me so good that I had to go through a bankruptcy few years after, because while they were taking turns bending me over while I was going through surgeries and extensive rehab, the loanshark math everyone in the industry uses inflated my bills well over $150k.

15. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

If she is still here "illegally", guess what -- she will be denied coverage

What the Owe-bama bill has done is create a category of persons who have been here working, taxed, and will now be denied equal protection

it's not enough that Owe-bama pursues policies that create a huge unterklassen of structurally unemployed, he has now created a de jure class of persons who, by law, are not entitled to equal protection

as I've always said, libs are the greatest threat to the ideals of our democracy

16. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Seriously, son... how stupid are you?
    A 10 day old baby would not have their own insurance. It would automatically be covered under their parent's insurance if they had it and many people in this country cannot afford it (as already established). Many had it, then lost it as soon as they lost their job. Some may have been able to afford it, but no longer could with recent price hikes. Either one of these scenarios, among others, would affect any woman who may be pregnant. We don't know all of the circumstances, so to instantly assume that the parents of this child were negligent is not only discriminatory, it demonstrates an elevated sense of accepted ignorance. Regardless of that, the issue here is that an insurance company found some excuse to deny coverage to a 10 day old baby, most likely due to a "pre-existing condition". As if a baby that is born in this world can somehow have its own coverage and the know-how to defend itself from potential birth defects while in the womb. As if an expecting mother, who may do everything by the book, may still give birth to a baby with problems due to traits passed down by generations.

An insurance company decided on its own health standards whether or not they should cover the health problems of a newborn. Metaphorically speaking, an insurance company decided whether or not a newborn baby could live or die. Do you accept this? :rolleyes: :mad:

There are too many instances of people doing the right thing in this country and still getting screwed. If you're not willing to acknowledge that, then step aside and let people who do care figure something out without the interjections from selfish, simple minded individuals who would come up with insanely lame arguments to defend their obsessive greediness.

#16 B_VinylBoy, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  17. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Damn troll, you hit the sauce early tonight!

18. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

oh, wow! the height of lib intelligence

19. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Actually, it's a blatant tell of your heightened sense of ignorance.
    Because if that's the only lines you picked up from either post worth quoting, you're either trying to play the victim or you honestly have nothing of any relevance worth saying.

Keep calling me a "lib", and I'll keep calling you a bigot. One of the names have a worse reputation, and it sure as hell isn't the L-word.

20. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Oh wow, another incoherent post by the resident deadbeat.

Draft saved Draft deleted