10 Minutes of Hell, Religious Style

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Mademoiselle Rouge, Jul 3, 2010.

1. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

And debauchery....

Presented to you by the Trinity Church in Cedar Hills, Tx. This was linked on one of my Skeptic Society friends on Facebook. It got more stupid and ridiculous as the minutes progressed (or regressed)

Let me preface what i noticed with the fact that i don't believe there is a God. I was raised in a similar church belief system, with a little less hatred towards groups of people than this church, but albiet a similar regious style. I look back on much wasted time and money for a cause that was useless and served only to be judgemental towards others.

This really bothers me because religious beliefs have such a stronghold in society. And while people are free to choose what they want to believe, I have a problem with predetermined outcomes and judgement on things that have a more complex background than just "Oh if you kill yourself, you are going to hell, but hey Jesus loves you, come visit us on Sunday!" and misleading mass groups of people into believing situations will end this way....

There is no wonder kids in schools are being made to feel like they are less than others if they are not religious. Religious people act as if they are the only ones that are being discriminated against, they are the first to dish out this sort of behavior and it's allowed to go on because people assume if it's Jesus, it's a good thing.
    • If you take notice, the scenerios set up to scare and intimidate people into choosing religion are silly. First, they send the message that if you commit suicide- you are going to hell. No matter what the reasoning is behind the suicide.
    • The voice of the person playing the grim reaper is far more annoying than hell could ever be.
    • If you take drugs at a rave club, you will be raped by multiple guys, ultimately killing yourself and going to hell.
    • I never grasped the reason for going to hell with the man who abused his wife who was supposedly cheating on him.
    • The person who was drinking and driving will be going to hell.
    • The gay man dying of AIDS is mocked by saying "He thought he was being a REAL MAN" and they made him go to hell for hating god on his deathbed.
    • The girl who is bleeding to death for taking "the abortion pill" is graphically displayed in order to scare you, even though at the end the people trying to save you are saying they aren't trying to scare you.
    • You don't bleed to death from the abortion pill. The bleeding deaths occured from abortions where the instrumentation used to suck out the contents of the uterus punctured through the uterine wall or a closeby artery, without proper medical support the woman would die. But the abortion pill does not cause death like this. This is sheer fear factor garbage to scare people.
    • Note the girl who had the abortion is forgiven because she calls out for jesus on her deathbed, why didn't this work the other way around where the gay man was forgiven and the girl next to him in the ER went to hell? Talk about a predetermined afterlife for all gay people eh?
    • The alter call at the end is so obligatory, in such a small room you have a guy practically yelling at you to go into the other room to be saved.
    • I can't even remember what else was there but the best YouTube comment was "I had no idea the afterlife had so much tin foil!"
    Too many things to mention, but it is this sort of belief about every possible scenerio that is portrayed as evil that annoys the shit out of me about religious people. As if there isn't already so much to be mocked about them. The never ending support of the congregation allows for them to set up such elaborate displays of judgement.

I'm interested to see what others noticed as well.

#1 B_Mademoiselle Rouge, Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
  2. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    I couldn't make it through the video. It was just too damn stupid. Amateurish scare tactics playing off people's fears of their own mortality. I can't believe people willingly go to things like that.

3. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

They will pay $7 a ticket to go to that madness.

4. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Indeed. Although some people pay more than that to go see WWE Wrestling, Nascar, Off-Off-Broadway plays, Dane Cook concerts...........

People are fucked up that way.

5. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Whats even more disturbing is this Skeptic Society site. Filled with aliens, vampires and monsters. Learn to be psychic in 10 easy lessons. You asked questions we don't have the answers too. Perhaps a atheist mother ship (filled with aliens) with scoop down and and give you the answers.

http://www.skeptic.com/

6. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Filled with aliens, vampires and monsters"? What are you talking about? The Skeptics Society is concerned with exposing the bogus reasoning and fakery produced in support of such claims. (E.g., see the page "Skeptical activism: fight fraud and pseudoscience.") "Learn to be a psychic in 10 easy lessons" is a précis of the techniques employed by so-called psychics. The point is to show how easy it is to make people think that you have psychic powers when you haven't got them.

7. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    *snaps*

8. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I knew you were going to say that :eek:

9. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    You knew NOTHING! :nana:

10. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

How about our hypocritical beliefs when it comes to soldiers fighting a war.
    When our enemies treat their casualties as martyrs or heroes our politicians use it as an example of how "crazy" those people are. It further supports the preachers who tell their congregations that they have spent endless hours studying the enemy's belief system and it is truly evil.
    When our dead return from war we bury them as heroes and comfort their loved ones with words of admiration and praise.
    Of course our enemies publicize these stories and point out to their audience that it is one more example of why God has called on them to kill us.
    I once heard a speaker (ex military officer, way up at the top) say the first casualty in war is truth!

If you want to read a horrific report on how gays are treated by Christians pick up the June/July copy of Details magazine. Turn to page 126 and read the article. You will cringe.

11. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Four words...
    Spirituality saves, religion kills.

12. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

When I lived in Dallas I had a bumper sticker that read "Jesus Please Save Me From Your Followers". Prior to that I had one that read "The Christian Right is Neither". The first one was on a new BMW 5series. The second was on a new Jetta. In the Jetta I would sometimes get angry, rabid responses from "Christians". On the BMW I never had one incident.
    That has to say something about the citizens of Dallas but I can't fathom it being anything good.

In the last 25 years I've become a closet Christian. I don't want anyone to associate me or think I identify with the actions and images of the most visible and vocal Christians these days.

Check out Landmark Baptist Church's website. It is bitterly cynical and satirical. I love it!

13. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Google turned up numerous real churches of that name. You must be thinking of the Landover Baptist Church.

14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I'm especially fond of the "What Would Jesus Do" undergarments. LOL!! :biggrin1:

15. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Snakey, maybe you should start with this site.

EXPLORE JUNIOR SKEPTIC!

16. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    As a subscriber to Skeptic magazine, I often get a smile out of the "Junior Skeptic" section that appears in every issue. It has some cartoons, the language is more colloquial than that of the rest of the publication, and it doesn't include scholarly references, statistical analyses, and other adult frills, but it is very good material for teaching young people to distinguish between scientific knowledge and woo-woo. In the current issue, the section is devoted to the "top ten busted myths," with a page explaining each "myth" and how it has been "busted":

1. Newspaper horoscopes
    2. Dowsing
    3. Moon landing "hoax" (i.e., the idea that the moon landings were a hoax)
    4. Homeopathy
    5. The Loch Ness Monster
    6. The 10% brain myth
    7. The Bermuda Triangle
    8. The Skull of Doom
    9. Roswell UFO crash
    10. Ghost orbs

17. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

My bad.
    Calboner is correct.
    It is Landover Baptist Church

18. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Well this was an interesting group of responses. The Skeptic website debunks things like psychic abilities and proves how much psychology is used to be able to do cold readings. I heard Michael Shermer, founder of the Skeptic Society on the radio and was totally sold. He had a scientific or psychological explanation to so many things we use as a basis for the belief of things we don't understand.

Arkfarmbear, i encourage you to start a thread about war and your outlook on it. But, do you actually talk to soldiers who fight overseas wars? You get stories from their side, do you ever listen to the other side and what they are saying and why?

Is it ok to kill anyone in the name of your God? If we shouldn't, then no one else should. This includes everyone else on the planet. Not just American's. I dont see our people strapping bombs on underage children, promising families a money if they can kill their sons in the name of their God. When one joins the US military, he is not being told to blow himself up in the name of God. His family is not being brainwashed and bribed for money to give his life up. We aren't taking very young children and killing them in the name of God.

I have 2 brothers who served in war, my Grandpa (whom i enjoyed shooting guns with today) and my father who was drafted. These people did not enjoy their experience, didn't necessarily enjoy the experience, so i respect their opinion on the experience and know they aren't sold hook, line and sinker for believing our country or military is perfect. I believe their opinion more than any politician or armchair politician on the internet. So you are steering my thread into a direction i know a lot about and steering it entirely off topic. Sounds like you had this idea already on your mind.

And today, i gave a cheers and blew up some fireworks in appreciate for my country, what it stands for and my freedom to get to enjoy it today. I thought about our soldiers and i thought about their mission. I hoped some of them got to have a beer and a break from their hard work. I love freedom and consider myself lucky to live in a country that represents it. This is not saying that those who live in other countries around the world are not free, but today is the celebration of my country's freedom. I am proud to be a part of that celebration.

I am not being stoned for enjoying sexual things, you aren't being stoned or killed in some horrid manner because you are gay. We are able to talk about our country and criticize it without being excommunicated or dragged behind a horse for it. There are many things good about the military actions of free countries. And we get to be here and be a part of something because of their actions. I have a hard time being unappreciative of it on such a day like July 4th.

Now back to my enjoyment of Shermer from the Skeptic Society. This link is hilarious and informative for believers and non-believers.

Michael Shermer on Believing Strange Things

#18 B_Mademoiselle Rouge, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  19. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

MM Rouge I apologize that my words offended you.
    Your interpretation was not what I intended to communicate and I hope others are not offended.
    I currently have a nephew who is deployed in the war. He flies rescue helicopters that are used to get our guys who are under attack or injured out of harm's way. It is one of the more dangerous jobs in the military. He was first deployed when the Bush/Cheney Regime decided to invade Iraq in retaliation for the terrorist attacks that were carried out by Saudi Arabians.
    My older brother and brother-in-law are veterans, too.
    Therefore your suggestion that I'm not supportive of our soldiers is flat wrong.

You also either don't know about or are choosing to ignore the activities of our CIA, Special Ops, Navy Seals, etc.
    I am pleased to know that they are doing their part in keeping us safe. But, they, too achieve their victories by using methods that most Americans don't want to hear. We can't handle the truth. (That is the case with many big issues in our country!)
    And, yes, I hosted a fireworks event for the local community on my farm.
    It is so far away from houses or people that anyone who wants may bring their own fireworks and shoot them or they can come emty-handed and enjoy the show.My father started this tradition some 30 years ago. He has been dead over a decade and my siblings and I keep it coming.

I'm also not going to take up space on this forum to provide you with fairly recent examples of how gay men, and men who were perceived as gay, are tortured and often killed.
    In Dallas, less than 30 days ago, a gang of 4 Hispanic boys went into the gay district. They chased down 4 guys but 3 were able to run away. 1 guy was so preoccupied with reading his messages and texting that he didn't know danger was closing in. He was severely beaten with baseball bats as his attackers hissed hate words as the reason he deserved it. He "survived" but with long term physical (not to mention mental) injuries.
    Just because you haven't been attacked doesn't mean we are all safe.
    Your assertion that nothing like that has happened to me is a presemptuous insult. How do you know I haven't?

20. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

Thank you a million times over! The basic tenet of homeopathy is so ridiculous on its face...I can't believe how many people are so willing to hand over so many millions of dollars for snake oil.

Draft saved Draft deleted