10 Years Ago Today...

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My life changed forever...

Christmas day, 1998, my parents told my two younger brothers and myself that they were going to be getting divorced. My mom had discovered the night before that my dad was having an affair. The week of Valentines in 1999 their divorce was finalized... and then in August my dad and Deb eloped.

Christmas hasn't really been the same these past 10 years...

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Time to move on, the past cannot be changed. You're parents are still alive and with you, make the best of it that you can. Millions get divorced, it's not a rare thing anymore.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Time to move on, the past cannot be changed. You're parents are still alive and with you, make the best of it that you can. Millions get divorced, it's not a rare thing anymore.
True, but the pain is still felt individually. It's not an easy thing for young kids when their parents separate and the memories last forever.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Christmas day, 1998, my parents told my two younger brothers and myself that they were going to be getting divorced. My mom had discovered the night before that my dad was having an affair. The week of Valentines in 1999 their divorce was finalized... and then in August my dad and Deb eloped.

The told you on Christmas Day!?! That is just selfish, mean and unkind! I would never do that to my children.:mad: Then again my mom is of the stiff upper lip sort. It's always about keeping up appearances. :irked: Holidays were planned to perfection and Marth Stewart perfect years before she maid her first quiche. There is no way she would have ruined that.

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The told you on Christmas Day!?! That is just selfish, mean and unkind! I would never do that to my children.:mad: Then again my mom is of the stiff upper lip sort. It's always about keeping up appearances. :irked: Holidays were planned to perfection and Marth Stewart perfect years before she maid her first quiche. There is no way she would have ruined that.

I guess they figured it was time to stop pretending. My dad had been sleeping on the couch for months. After Christmas he moved in with his mom for a week or two and then got his own house.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Yeah, I think that would pretty much screw things up. Why they couldn't hold off a few more days is what really bothers me, I mean why that of all days even if he was sleeping on the sofa. A few more days wouldn't seem like too much to give considering he'd been on the sofa for a few months by then. Then again, maybe the stress had reached its final point.

At any rate, try to find the good in all of this-you get out of doing dishes on Christmas because you have to go to visit the other parent (and after the second parent is visited, you can beg off doing the dishes because you need to get home to feed the pets and water the plants-always have handy excuses at the ready).

Happy Holidays.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For children sure, she is now an adult. Time to grow up and move on.
I went through a divorce many years ago. It was simply the darkest days of my life. It was very hard on my kids who are now adults. Let's try be more sensitive to other's feelings. Adult or child it's a very hard thing to go through.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I went through a divorce many years ago. It was simply the darkest days of my life. It was very hard on my kids who are now adults. Let's try be more sensitive to other's feelings. Adult or child it's a very hard thing to go through.
At the time sure it is... but after 10 years don't you think it's a little long to be worrying about what happened 10 years ago. I am sensitive, I just think it's pointless to be hanging onto something that can't be changed.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
At the time sure it is... but after 10 years don't you think it's a little long to be worrying about what happened 10 years ago. I am sensitive, I just think it's pointless to be hanging onto something that can't be changed.
This is something for some that never really goes way. It's not a hanging on kind of thing. It's sometimes not being able to forget the hurt. My wife and i spent Christmas eve with my kids ( who are now 31 and 29 years old) and we had a wonderful time. However i still remember the times i couldn't be with them and how hard it was for all of us. I get along great with my ex wife. But still the hurt is there.