1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

D_Terry_Misue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've read a few of the books on the list (I confess--I did not read the whole list!)

The Grapes of Wrath is the only book that made me cry...

I've tried reading The Brothers Karamazov several times...can't make it through that beast!

I didn't see it on the list, but one I would recommend to everyone: read One Hundred Years of Solitude by Nobel Prize-winning author Gabriel García Márquez. It is worth every word. A beautiful story.

cjc3552

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
1 book by Robert Heinlien and its the crappy populist one?

I guess I scanned the list too quick because I didn't see Heinlein on there. He should easily have 3 on the list. I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams but even he would tell you that Heinlein deserves more on the list than him.

lick_suck

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Surely it's impossible to have a definitive 'must read' books list, everyone has different ideas. There are always going to be books missing that some people think should be included and vice versa.
At least it's got people discussing literature which is a good thing.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interesting list. There were some surprises and a lot of books I've been meaning to read. I've read 55 of them, I think. I skimmed through it as quickly as I could, so I might have missed one or two.

946 to go!

At the average rate of one book per week, I can be expected to finish in 2030. :tongue:

Last edited:

D_Carl_Colossal

Experimental Member
Media
Pretty decent list. Read at least 75, but most were on my summer reading lists back in grade school.

and a lot less 'Wilde' than I expected ;P
(Actually, the list only included one of his works. I was deeply saddened.)

B_stu.kay823

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually, the list only included one of his works. I was deeply saddened.

Given that the title of the list is "1001 Books ....." and Oscar Wilde only wrote 1 novel, I ask you this: how many other authors are fortunate enough to have 100% of their catalogue listed?

Stu's total: 104

D_Carl_Colossal

Experimental Member
Media
Given that the title of the list is "1001 Books ....." and Oscar Wilde only wrote 1 novel, I ask you this: how many other authors are fortunate enough to have 100% of their catalogue listed?

Stu's total: 104

Technicality :rolleyes:
Regardless, I think that his other stuff is notable and should be read before you die.
Even if it happens to be in the form of a poem or play :p