12 shot dead in Cumbria

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Catchoftheday, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

2. superbot

Gold Member

Sickening.Why do people do such things?I was born in Whitehaven and have family in Egremont,so know the area all to well....You cannot legislate against such things alas!

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Someone from across the pond correct me if I'm in error, but don't you guys have very strict (read: draconian) gun control laws over there? How could this have happened if it's against the law for people to have guns?

4. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I've been following some of the coverage this evening, I have a couple of relatives in that area. Something dark and very tragic happened there it seems.

5. superbot

Gold Member

You need a licence but it's not illegal.These sort of things are incredibly rare.People don't own guns as a matter of course,even the police are not armed for everyday policing.

6. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

It seems that way. I've seen one news coverage a couple of hours ago and the guy involved was well liked and well respected in the area.

7. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Very weird. Kind of isolated area too.

Not sure what to say really - Cumbria has had a tough time lately. First the floods, then snow, then that school coach crash, followed by this. :( Awful year for them.

8. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

It isn't in the slightest against the law to have guns. The laws regulating who can buy guns are much stricter.

Cumbria is a rural area and gun sports are very popular. There is doubtless a far higher ratio of gun owners than in the majority of the rest of the UK. I don't believe this has been formally announced but I'm willing to bet the man that did this held the murder weapon(s) legally.

As another poster said, there is no legislation that can prevent acts like this. It's a bloody horrid tragedy and I see the official death toll has just been revised to 13 with 10s of injured victims, several of whom are in critical condition. I feel desperately sad for all those affected and for the community as a whole.

9. Jason

Gold Member

Yes the gun control laws are draconian and then some.

It is only legal to own a gun for a specified reason and it must be an appropriate gun for the intended us. People who own a gun are vetted by the police (frequently). There are very strict rules around storage - most guns are as a consequence not stored at home. There are very strict rules around transportation - it is not at all easy to transport a gun from A to B. It is illegal to own a gun for self defence. Breaches of any aspect of gun law carry very, very high penalties - for example you can get 10 years in gaol for owning a gun without a licence, and 5 years is mandatory (ie this is the minimum sentence you can be given). There are very strict laws around antique guns also, as well as laws around replicas.

I have never met anyone in the UK who owns a gun. The police don't carry guns (a very few exceptions here).

Quite how the maniac in Cumbria got two guns is an interesting issue. I imagine there will now be calls for bans on gun ownership for all purposes whatsoever.

10. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed...which is essentially the truth that's been pointed out time and again when high-profile shootings have taken place here.

Yes, because we can see how well that's been working out so far. :rolleyes:

(Note: The rolled-eyes are aimed at the sadly ironic truth of your statement, not at you personally.)

Draft saved Draft deleted