18 USC 2257

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BayouREUben, Jun 22, 2005.

1. BayouREUben

BayouREUben New Member

Gay.com

2. Imported

Gold Member

IrishSurfer: Shhh!

If we whisper they won't hear us!

3. yaoifun

yaoifun New Member

Thats easy. Limit posting/viewing galleries to premium members, which you must be 18 to do anyway. LPSG will never die! well just make another board without pics thats all. If your that desperate to see the pics, just ask the people. Easily avoided. I think marks doing a good job anyway.

4. mindseye

Gold Member

Nope -- the article didn't make it clear, but the statute itself specifies certain things about the records that must be kept (for example, they must be in writing) -- so just limiting the galleries to premium members wouldn't quite do it.

However, it's waaaaay too early to panic on this. Two previous and somewhat similar laws that Congress passed to suppress sexual expression online were struck down by the courts as unconstitutional. It's likely that this law will not stand either.

IANAL, but my advice is to wait and see what happens first.

5. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just received a call from my attorney who asked me if I'm a member of the Free Speech Coalition. I said, "Yes." He responded, "That's the right answer. You're going to be very happy with something that's just happened." He then said that he had to go and couldn't talk about it right now. I imagine he's calling all of his clients - hopefully with good news!

I know we've got a few Republicans here, but folks, I'm tellin' ya, the Republican Party does NOT stand for keeping government out of people's lives anymore. This drive to eliminate any sort of sexual free speech on the internet is pushed by the right-wing base of the Republican Party, who have Bush and his cronies wrapped around their fingers.

I'm not telling anyone to switch political parties, but if you enjoy the LPSG, I would highly recommend that you become a member of the Free Speech Coalition. I can hope and pray that the new regulations will either be struck down or put on hold indefinitely, but even if that happens, this battle is not over and may never be over as long as we have millions of people who believe that they have the right to restrict communication in this country - sexual communication or otherwise.

6. mindseye

Gold Member

FSC filed a motion for a temporary restraining order on behalf of its members pending a more comprehensive lawsuit. No ruling has been issued yet, but the United States District Court of Colorado has a really positive track record on free-speech issues. (They picked the right District Court to hear the motion!)

7. KinkGuy

Gold Member

"sexual communication"?
    ALL COMMUNICATION THAT DOES NOT AGREE WITH THE $$$/VOTES POSITION OF THE FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RIGHT.

Fuck you and your quaint little first ammendment rights.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

8. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually, I knew they were filing a restraining order. The tone of my attorney's voice suggested that something bigger and better might have happened.

If it was only that an injunction had been accepted, I'll be happy with that too - for now.

9. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Even if 18 U.S.C. 2257 were to be enforced as suggested, it wouldn't mean the end of LPSG. 'Adult photos' are not what LPSG is all about. The Large Penis Support Group existed for years without photo galleries and avatars, and could do so again. There is so much here that does not fall within what is being suggested, so even if certain features of the site must be restricted, or even removed, it would remain a valuable resource.

10. Imported

Gold Member

hung_big:
    Which, in retrospect, might be a good idea. If anything, the gallery has attrated more trolls than anything else. I like the extra touch, but it's the people, not the cocks on the people that count most.

11. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Yes, we could MAKE this particular site evolve and survive. But I think what is really at stake here has nothing to do with pics of dicks and balls, but the first step in a really well orchestrated process to limit, remove and restrict the civil and Constitutional rights of American citizens.

This I fear, may only be the beginning. Hell, the Public Broadcasting Corporation (along with the major media) has been completely controlled and "edited for content" since 2000.

12. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

I agree, but I was addressing the title of the thread, which is 18 USC 2257, This could be the death of LPSG..., so I was commenting only on the survival of this particular site.

13. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Effectively chastised and humbled.

*backs away from topic.

14. madame_zora

Gold Member

That's right, back that ass up! Right over here, if you please.

15. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    that's probably true, but the fact that this shit is being pushing in the first place is sick enough.

16. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Jana! You say that as if I don't have designs of my own for Kink's ass! You must learn to share!

17. madame_zora

Gold Member

Jana! You say that as if I don't have designs of my own for Kink's ass! You must learn to share!
    [post=323439]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

We can toss him back and forth, he won't complain if we tape his mouth shut.

18. Shelby

Gold Member

You're right and I hate it. Barry Goldwater RIP must be spinning in his grave.

19. robertomuro

robertomuro New Member

Surely the easiest thing for any webmaster to do is to just move a site which may violate this law outside US territory. In this day and age, it is a very easy thing to do.

There were similar problems in the past with restrictions on the export of encryption technology which affected everything from web browsers to PGP. All they did was print out the source, fax it overseas, compile it there and wala, no problem ;) Where there's a will there's a way as they say.

20. KinkGuy

Gold Member

We can toss him back and forth, he won't complain if we tape his mouth shut.
    [post=323479]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

OK, start tossing, but why seal off 1/3 of the fun with duck tape?

Draft saved Draft deleted