18 year old gets a Vasectomy

TheWB

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
unless i was insanely rich at 18 i would not get a vasectomy at that age....if i was like Lil Bow Wow or somethin i would though....

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know for a fact that if a healthy woman of the same age were to make the same decision, no responsible doctor in the United States would do the surgery. That is the source of my intensity, the double standard. Yes, he's an adult. Who among us thinks exactly the same way at 30+ that we did at 18? I maintain it was a bad decision on both their parts. :cool:
So you want two wrongs to make a right? It doesn't work that way. A woman, or a man, at age 18, should be able to make those decisions for themselves, without someone like you calling him stupid. In some subjects, actually, I DO think exactly the same way at "30+" that I did at 18. I didn't want children then, and I don't want them now. Does that make me stupid?
Oh please.
Yes? Your point?
Agreed! IMHO 18 is just too young to be making that kind of decision.
You are right, that is just your humble opinion. It would not have been right for you. That's fine. It's arrogant of you to claim that since it would have been too young for you, it is too young for everyone. And is 18 too young to make the decision to have sex? If they are old enough to have sex, they are old enough to make reproductive decisions.
It's not hard at all, I have said it myself to one man. Then again, he was 40, divorced and had 2 children already.
And again, that's fine for you. I'm sure you would not be happy with me if I said "njqt was stupid to have sex with a 40-year-old divorced man with two children." It was your choice. I'm not really sure why you think you have any standing to decide what is right for any other person regarding his or her own body. I'll say the same thing about this that I do about religion: I'll mind my own business regarding your choices, if you will mind your own business regarding my choices."

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If he is of majority age, it's absolutely his right to have it done.

I agree. I also agree that physicians have the right to deny giving a man so young this procedure if they feel it is inappropriate or unethical.

...if I had continued having sex with women.

Dammit, I was just born too late.:biggrin1:

Hell yes, it's too young! Your friend is a moron and the doctor who did it should be hit upside the head with a 2x4.

Whether the decision is stupid or not, it is both the patient's right to get the surgery as well as the physicians right to perform it. None of us know the specifics of this case. You simply can't make a blanket statement like this and expect that it's correct for everyone.

I know for a fact that if a healthy woman of the same age were to make the same decision, no responsible doctor in the United States would do the surgery. That is the source of my intensity, the double standard. Yes, he's an adult. Who among us thinks exactly the same way at 30+ that we did at 18? I maintain it was a bad decision on both their parts. :cool:

There are women who have had tubals that young. I don't see where there is a double standard--doctors will deny vasectomies to men as well. No matter what, it's not our decision to make or our right to judge this young man. He may have perfectly good reasons. Even if he doesn't, it's his choice. I don't know many people who haven't, in some way, radically changed the course of their life at a very young age. Some have regrets, some do not.

It is, but I still feel it was a dumb decision.

Maybe, maybe not. We'll never really know.

If and when this kid wants children, he can always adopt.

This is a great point. I don't know what it is about people who think to be a parent you absolutely have to be genetically related to the child. It's simply not necessary. I've mentioned adopting our next child to friends and family and they look at me as though I just sprouted three heads because I'm still capable of having biological children. Adoption is a wonderful thing and I can't see why so many people see it as being so much less desirable than having one's own biological children.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know I'd be disappointed if any of my kids got snipped, but it's still their bodies, their choice. There are plenty of kids in this world, and not everyone needs to be a breeder.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dammit, I was just born too late.:biggrin1:
Maybe. I'm old enough to be yo daddy, but who's counting? Should I make an exception, just especially for you?

(Of course, I suppose I could justify it if you and I had wild, nasty, monkey sex... if having sex with men is what a straight man does, then maybe having sex with women is what a gay man does...)

Last edited:

Grit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
IMO physicians do not have the right to make decisions for their patients in these issues by refusing procedural treatments. This is not the ER and a life saving diagnosis. Pointing out the pros and cons and being assured the patient is making an informed decision is the physicians role.

This young man made a decision to cut the supply off. There is no wife to consult at this time and he will have to address whether or not he and his possible future wife want children (most vasectomies are reversible, some with difficulty and some cannot be reversed).

Take a look at the world today -- bringing children into todays world is very different from what it used to be.

I would respect a young man making this decision. Had the 18 year old been refused the procedure based upon the physicians preferences, -- he would only go to another doctor.

B_hung1988

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
More info: It took my friend 7 doctors to find one who would do the surgery, my buddy also took a pre vasectomy semen analysis with results of 3.8ml , 315million total count with 93% motility. The doctor also gave him the option of banking sperm for later use if needed at he said no to that. He must go back in 30 days for first post vasectomy semen analysis and was told he should expect sperm free semen in 90 days.

modulo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
He's old enough to join the Army, go overseas, and kill people but not old enough to choose a vasectomy for himself? Really?

Well said. A decision like that is a personal one. I'm nearly 40 and have no desire to have children or get into a relationship with someone who has children.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
He’s not responsible enough to at that age to get a vasectomy but the 18 year old chick he gets pregnant is responsible enough to be executioner of his child when she decides to abort it.

He’s not responsible enough to make his own decision to prevent an unwanted/unloved child that also costs him child support for the next eighteen years (or more in some states).

The doctor is “unethical” if he performs this surgery even though the doctor is tired of supporting unwed mothers with unloved children with his tax money.

The doctor is “unethical” if he performs this surgery on an 18 male but the doctor in the next room is aborting the baby of an 18 year old girl and there is not problem with that because its her right.

Do some of you hear what you are saying? :rolleyes:

8.5x6

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He’s not responsible enough to at that age to get a vasectomy but the 18 year old chick he gets pregnant is responsible enough to be executioner of his child when she decides to abort it.

He’s not responsible enough to make his own decision to prevent an unwanted/unloved child that also costs him child support for the next eighteen years (or more in some states).

The doctor is “unethical” if he performs this surgery even though the doctor is tired of supporting unwed mothers with unloved children with his tax money.

The doctor is “unethical” if he performs this surgery on an 18 male but the doctor in the next room is aborting the baby of an 18 year old girl and there is not problem with that because its her right.

Do some of you hear what you are saying? :rolleyes:

While I don't agree with ALL of the parallels, I definitely agree with the overall theme. I don't understand why anyone feels like they have the moral authority to weigh in on what another person wants to do with their own body in a non-life-threatening scenario that causes no direct or indirect harm to another human being... unless, I suppose, you're protesting the wasted potential of all that semen :confused:.