2,000 more prisoner abuse photos coming May 28

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Apr 24, 2009.

1. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

This has nothing to do with Obama or declassified torture memos.

The Pentagon is being ordered to release as many as 2.000 photos showing prisoner abuse at several military prisons in Iraq and Afghanistan on May 28 - in response to the ACLU who filed a federal lawsuit and won.

First photos of prisoner abuse at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, are expected.

Critics say this new batch of photos will prove once and for all that prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib was not the result of "a few bad apples" as former Bush administration officials said about Army reservists Lynndie England and Charles Graner, but was, in fact, systemic, a way of conducting business at all the secret U.S. military prisons, widespread and sanctioned by the highest levels of the Bush administration.

According to a U.S. official, at least one photo shows a prisoner shoved up against a wall as military guards and interrogators threaten to sexually assault the prisoner with a broomstick.

--------------------

Eric Holder is also expected to release additional torture memos.

From politico:

Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.), in a House hearing about the Department of Justice appropriations request, pressed Attorney General Eric Holder for a wider release of the torture memos. Holder, responded by promising greater disclosure, saying the Obama administration wasn’t playing a “cat and mouse" political game.

“My hope would be to make these available, consistent with our national security interest,” Holder said. “It was not the intent of the administration to play hide and seek. … It is not the intent to play political games. We want to put as much in front of the American people, so we can come up with interrogation policies” that have legal support.

Glenn Thrush's Blog: Holder hopes to release more memos - POLITICO.com

I think this internal cleansing - the release of photos and torture memos in order to get back to legality - is exactly what we need as a country to set ourselves right.

#1 D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. D_Rod Staffinbone

D_Rod Staffinbone Account Disabled

thanks for staying on top of this stuff, willtom.
    and i mean that sincerely. (it's not another one of my usual snarky comments.)

obama's had a good week this week.

#2 D_Rod Staffinbone, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

WT, please stop acting like the kid on the street corner in the 1940's shouting "Extra! Extra! Read All About It" and peddling this prisoner abuse rhetoric.

4. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

star, isn't it time for you to write another thread about liberals not giving to charity and cheese?

5. D_Rod Staffinbone

D_Rod Staffinbone Account Disabled

don't you need to get teabagged today? did i get that right? or am i being snarky again?

6. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

I believe the next installment is on July 4th. Paying our respects to those that delivered our independence, and acknowledging their heroism by making sure we keep it.

I'll get you the details.:smile:

7. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Speaking of tea parties, here's Bill Maher on today's Los Angeles Times op-ed page:

----------

It's been a week now, and I still don't know what those "tea bag" protests were about. I saw signs protesting abortion, illegal immigrants, the bank bailout and that gay guy who's going to win "American Idol." But it wasn't tax day that made them crazy; it was election day. Because that's when Republicans became what they fear most: a minority. The conservative base is absolutely apoplectic because, because ... well, nobody knows. They're mad as hell, and they're not going to take it anymore. Even though they're not quite sure what "it" is. But they know they're fed up with "it," and that "it" has got to stop.

Here are the big issues for normal people: the war, the economy, the environment, mending fences with our enemies and allies, and the rule of law.

And here's the list of Republican obsessions since President Obama took office: that his birth certificate is supposedly fake, he uses a teleprompter too much, he bowed to a Saudi guy, Europeans like him, he gives inappropriate gifts, his wife shamelessly flaunts her upper arms, and he shook hands with Hugo Chavez and slipped him the nuclear launch codes.

The GOP: divorced from reality - Los Angeles Times

I love Bill Maher!

8. Drifterwood

Gold Member

9. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Bill Maher needs to do his homework or he'll end up ruining his career for a second time by putting his foot in his mouth.

The Tea Party Protests aren't only Republicans, the Tea Parties Protests certainly aren't wasting time on Obama's addiction to a teleprompter nor his wife uncovered upper arms. The Tea Party Protests are Real People protesting what the Bush Administration started and what Obama is taking to another level: mortgaging America's future, out of control spending, bailouts, printing billions of dollars we don't have, devaluing the dollar, and economic policy that will triple our deficit.

YouTube - Chicago Tax Day Tea Party - What CNN Did Not Show You Behind The Scenes - Reporter Owned 4/16/09

10. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Where was all of the outrage the 8 yrs BEFORE Obama took office? Tea parties are little more than ass-sore losers that have no representation in Washington because their party has been decapitated. You made your bed; now sleep in it.

11. Trinity

Trinity New Member

The Protestors are Democrats, Republicans, Independents, other Parties and no Parties.

Why no Tea Parties before Obama took office? Because Obama was supposed to be about change but Obama is only spending more, bailing out more, printing more, devaluing the dollar more, and making the deficit bigger.

There were plenty of protests against the war in Iraq. The bailouts and the acknowledgement of the recession came at the end of Bush's term and the transition to Obama. The people opposed the initial bailout if you recall. The Congress's phones rang off the hook. However, Paulson and the Treasury, Bush determined that the banks would collapse without that bailout. Congress went along with it. Protestors were against the direction for both Administrations.

Obama is not doing as he promised in his campaign and paying as he goes. This is from BarackObama.com. This is who Obama claimed to be and what he claimed he would do:

BarackObama.com

12. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    The TEA PARTIES will have as much effect on the Electorate as the PUMA party had on the democratic primary........ZILCH!ZERO!NADA!

13. midlifebear

Gold Member

willtom27, sugar booger, you just keep on doing what you're doing. I find your upbeat posts incredibly refreshing. You're covering a much broader spectrum of US blog and news outlet sites than I have time for, so thanks for keeping an eye out for us who are otherwise distracted with newspapers in other languages.

14. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    You're kidding us with this, right?

15. sargon20

Gold Member

It is important to see the photos. Americans need to see what other Americans are doing in their name. Americans need to see the coffins of soldiers coming back. Americans need to see the devastation caused by 'Operation Iraqi Freedom'. The Pentagon and it's war marketeers learned during the Vietnam War that showing photos of war would make war unpopular. This is not how a country with a proclaimed 'Freedom of The Press' is supposed to work. The press clearly isn't free.

16. Trinity

Trinity New Member

that's funny. Let's see...as I recall Hillary Clinton got 18 million votes and so did Obama...Obama barely won the primary. Obama won by a handful of SuperDelegates. Obama utilized democratically unfair loopholes in our Democracy - the caucus system as it stands, political game playing with Michigan and Florida.

PUMA and Hillary Supporters in General were very effective if you go by the closeness of the competition. And recalling just how much Hillary had to do to help Obama get her supporters...Unity Rallies, her fundraising for him, campaigning for Obama...yeah PUMA made its impact.

Bush enjoyed the same high approvals as Obama after his first 100 days. And there weren't nation wide Protests against his policies going on within his first 100 days. :wink:

17. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

"Son, you've got a panty on yer head." -Raising Arizona. One of my favorite lines

Draft saved Draft deleted