2 More Airlines to Charge for First Bag

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Personally... I fly a lot and one rolling carry on has taken me thru months overseas.

When I used to stand in line to check in, behind 20 massive bastards each humping a cart with 8 enormous land barges full of crap they just couldn't live without on their trip... I always thought it was kind of a crime that I had to pay as much as they did.

I would sit in my seat imagining the sheer mass of bags in the hold below me, pulling the plane downward with relentless weight...

Long ago... when I first started flying.... it was standard operating procedure for airlines to charge for each extra bag...
In fact you actually paid by WEIGHT.... if you went over x number of allowed pounds, they charged you.

I think it makes perfect sense.
You want to move your entire wardrobe halfway around the world? YOU pay for the extra gas to get it there.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My old boss used to FedEx/courier clothes and peripherals ahead of time... cheaper, and at times he could avoid checking luggage, confirm the delivery at the hotel... before he left.

What the airlines could do... but the ACLU [half the time that union is criminal] and other heathens, would NEVER allow it... is charge ppl by the weight.

As a passenger, you are taking up volume (both in space and weight). Since the seats are standard size... the space charge portion would be constant.... (a 90 lb person uses up one seat as does a 200 lb person). Then charge based on X lbs [or kilos] over a baseline. For example....

LAX- NYC:
Seat reservation: Flat $150
Weight surplus: $1 per pound for every pound over 50 pounds.

100 lb 5'0" hottie Asian girl - $200
200 lb 5'11" business traveler - $300
300 lb 5'11" person - $400

Fuel is hitting these folks hard, but to be honest airlines (esp the old bigger ones) may be some of the most poorly run corporations. Some of me thinks this is one industry that actually could use gov't regulation (did I just say that?!).

EDIT: No, larger people do NOT take up the same space. Ever sit next to a truly large person in an airplane? If airlines charged by weight, then larger people would be within their right to demand more accommodating seats.

- - - - - - -

Wow... (re bag prices.)

I like checking a bag because I don't want to deal with the 3 oz absurdity.

Last edited:

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
For years, Southwest Airlines has required extremely large people to buy two seats. I for one don't see anything wrong with it. I have had people sit next to me that were so large, their bodies were all over that side of me. ewwwww

D

deleted15807

For years, Southwest Airlines has required extremely large people to buy two seats. I for one don't see anything wrong with it. I have had people sit next to me that were so large, their bodies were all over that side of me. ewwwww

If the plane is full they may make the COS (customer of size) buy two tickets otherwise no. Also if the COS is next to a family member who doesn't mind being partially sat on OK.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
If the plane is full they may make the COS (customer of size) buy two tickets otherwise no. Also if the COS is next to a family member who doesn't mind being partially sat on OK.

That's fair. I just don't like people all over me when I'm flying. 4 times peeps on planes have given me the flu. My doc told me from now on to wear a dust mask on the plane.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
as long as its not the bag between your legs you really can't complain to much.

Theres no more of a risk of catching a contagion on a plane then there is at the movies or on a bus.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
as long as its not the bag between your legs you really can't complain to much.

Theres no more of a risk of catching a contagion on a plane then there is at the movies or on a bus.

Airplanes recycle air. A man from Russia was on a plane that flew from UK to New York. He had tb. Over 21 peeps who traveled on that plane tested positive for tb. When someone coughs, it's recycled in the airplane air. I used to read reports on how bad the air quality is on planes.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Airplanes recycle air. A man from Russia was on a plane that flew from UK to New York. He had tb. Over 21 peeps who traveled on that plane tested positive for tb. When someone coughs, it's recycled in the airplane air. I used to read reports on how bad the air quality is on planes.

Last time I point that God Damn air nozzle towards my face to get air.:eek::redface::mad:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The new policy will affect all travelers because more carry on bags mean slower security lines.

I've noticed several airports now have segregated queues for the security checkpoints, including an "Expert Traveler" queue.

It sounds great in theory...but the problem is that the segregation (at least as far as I've seen) only applies to having your ID checked. They still send folks willy-nilly toward the X-ray scanners and metal detectors. Fat lot of good it does to speed through the ID check only to wind up waiting on the conveyor belt behind Methuselah and the Brady Bunch. :rolleyes:

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
^So should the passengers pay by weight as well? Or only those large enough to take up more than one seat?

Well... it certainly could come to that...
as Americans get ever fatter the costs of hauling their fat asses all over the planet rise, too.

But, as was mentioned, if they charge passenger's by weight they will have to offer heavier passengers larger seats, too.

Really, I don't understand why the morbidly obese imagine that their poor lifestyle choices should not factor into how much life is gonna cost them.

If their pants require 10 times as much cloth... they should cost proportionately more... because the only way clothiers could offer the seriously fat their clothing at the same price is to have that extra cost allocated for in the pricing of everyone else's clothes.

Why should folks who DON'T eat themselves into perfect spheres have to cover the cost of covering someone else's lard?

By the same token.... if you cost more to transport... why should I have to shoulder the extra cost of your weakness for cake? Why is that MY burden to bear?

Here's the thing.... when you travel, travel light. Seriously... there is NOTHING you really need that won't fit in one of those wheelie things that fit in the overhead.

Unless you're going on some exotic expedition into the heart of nowhere...
everyplace you will end up will have these things we call 'stores' where you can buy "stuff" and shit.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If I were into conspiracy theory, I'd bet that the climbing obesity rate in America was a plot to save social security from ruin. (Obese people don't live as long.)

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
After 9/11 I saw one travel expert on tv. Peter Greenburg I think his name was. He said immediately after 9/11 he would FedEx his luggage to his hotel. It was faster and less hassle.