2 out of 5 Americans receive a check from the gov't

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_starinvestor, Jul 12, 2011.

1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

42 million on food stamps

In U.S., 14% Rely on Food Stamps - Real Time Economics - WSJ

60 million on social security

Monthly Statistical Snapshot, May 2011

and 20 million government employees.

That's 122 million people receiving a check from the government; with a total population of 310 million. 2 out of every 5 people walking around the USA are receiving a check from the government.

We will be Greece in 5 - 10 years if Washington doesn't get control of entitlement spending and massive government spending programs.

2. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:
    Here comes some liberal nonsense...

3. D_Percy_Prettywillie

D_Percy_Prettywillie Account Disabled

Seniors and government employees are always going to be a part of our society. One group is an inevitability (assuming we want to avoid soylent green being people) and one is a necessity in order for programs we all depend on being manned by human beings.

We have social security so that growing old doesn't equate to growing poor. Seniors, now, are cared for at considerably greater levels than they were before said entitlement programs were instituted as well they should be. After a lifetime of service to the American economy, to American infrastructure, and paying into the system they then benefit from, such should be their right. Do I think it should remain, as is, with no increase in the retirement age or decrease in benefits at an earlier stage of life? I do not. I'm open to saving entitlements for future generations in whatever avenue our brightest minds deem fit and that is a conversation as lengthily and heated as they come (perhaps for a different thread.)

Government employees; well, we've got 530 something house members, and 100 senators, plus a VP and a President... 9 Supreme Court Justices... we've got a military and then the local and state governments... it's not hard to get to 20 million when one considers the expansive nature of our government in so far as it takes a lot of people to do what they do. From regulatory agencies to investigatory agencies, we've come to depend on the Government for things that ordinary, walk-about joe schmoe can't just do himself without proper training. So... they're necessary.

We should be focused on ways of utilizing our resources more effectively, not just decreasing the amount of resources we use (though that isn't something that should be ignored as an option either.) All I'm saying is throwing out a huge number like that without considering what said numbers represent is a mischaracterization of government "waste."

Should there be fewer people on food stamps? Absolutely. Should we look at entitlements with a mind to ensure them for future generations? 100% we should. Could we do without an Under Secretary of Transportation? I think we could.

Such amendments and cuts should be done with a scalpel not a machete.

JSZ

4. workandplay243

workandplay243 New Member

Albums:
    Where can I get some food stamps?

5. ripsrips

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
    Washington, DC ...They give it out like candy as if it were Halloween year round!

#5 ripsrips, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  6. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:
    The recruiting station in your town. They'll give you free food, free housing, and a job. They do this everyday. Try calling 1-800-MARINES, they'll be happy to get you started on some government food.

7. workandplay243

workandplay243 New Member

Albums:
    It wasn't bad, steak or seafood on friday nights at sea... hahaha... I remember.

8. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
  9. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Bank Reform.
    Energy Reform.
    Real Estate Reform.
    Energy Reform.
    Wall Street Reform.
    Military Reform.

There's six of the most obvious things our country should be focused on to prevent us from going the way of Greece. Alas, the idea that some poor people are receiving a few bucks through government assistance freaks people the fuck out so much that they'd continue to echo the disingenuous ignorance about "entitlement spending". Ignoring even more obvious factors (such as a recession) as a glaring catalyst for the rise of Food Stamp recipients.

Nah... it's much, MUCH easier to just call them a bunch of lazy freeloaders. Isn't it? :rolleyes:

10. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    Rather ironic isn't it?? Those business owners who thinks it's just GREAT business ethics to pay such poor wages that people HAVE to supplement their incomes through food stamps or they can't feed their families (I know, I know, get a 2nd, 3rd and 4th job -- thank you family values people!) -- and then these same people who make a very very good living off of everybody elses "sweat" decry how terrible it is that people are on the government "tit!" What a bunch of bull. Ask these people to define what is meant by the "working poor!"

11. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    Whoooops -- you forgot all those farmers receiving government subsidy checks and people like Republican Candidate for Governor Carl Palidino in NYork who "decried" all that Government spending --- all the while collecting a monthly check FROM the government for the rent they paid to him for office space in his buildings. Hey -- wake up fella! There are a LOT of people sucking at the government include very large corporations and their subsidy checks!!

12. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:

I have no regrets.

13. midlifebear

Gold Member

Starpooper is just pissed because he isn't getting any checks from the government.

14. itsthepopei

itsthepopei Active Member

Albums:
    Lets do some basic math shall we.
    the feds have about 6 million employees
    about 3 million are military active and reserve
    700000 are civilian workers for the Department of Defense
    after that you get 2.3 million in regulatory agencies,elected officials, and social programs

then you have local and state (mostly local) that would be the 14 million ie: teachers,police, firefighters,50% of healthcare,elected officials,and transit employees
    keeping in mind we have over 30000 cities that's hardly a surprise
    next time before rambling off about the size of the government it may behoove you to do your due diligence and find out what the numbers really mean the answer may surprise you.

15. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was going to say something like this, but I'm too fucking lazy

16. houtx48

Gold Member

LOL WSJ? Isn't that another one of Faux News shills? If you love what Murdoch Did with Faux just wait until you see what he does with WSJ.

Draft saved Draft deleted