2 Questions of interest...

Discussion in 'Show Off' started by andyjuicer, Jul 14, 2006.

1. andyjuicer

andyjuicer New Member

Okay now i'm just curious, (i could be wrong but from memory) Guys usually get their genes from their mothers' farther. Eg, if your mum's dad is bald - you will loose your hair too. So guys do you think you have gained much of your looks and stuff from your mum's side?

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

You've got it right, Andy. I'm almost a spitting image of my maternal grandfather, from the full head of hair right down to the fat ankles. I also got his 'gift,' the big pee pee.

3. mindstar

mindstar Member

Albums:
    you could be wrong
    my maternal grandfather had a full head of hair.... i don't... i have no idea about his dick size... but i do know that i am bigger than both my father and my older brother

4. Donk

Donk New Member

You are confused. A person gets half of his genes from his mother and half from his father. It is how these two sets of genes interact that determine genetic physical characteristics. Some physical traits come from one side or the other because one type of gene is "dominant" and another type is "recessive." Male pattern baldness is the classic example of a trait that you do inherit from your mother's side of the family, but that does not mean that all of a male's genes come from his mother. (Think about it for a second--do guys usually look just like their mother, or more like a blend between mother and father?)

If the point of your question is whether large penis size is inherited solely from the mother's side of the family, the answer has got to be no. For one thing, there is probably no single "large penis gene." Penis size, like most physical traits, is probably determined by a complex interaction of several different genes. Not just as simple as "big dick maternal grandpa=big dick grandson."

5. mister_y

mister_y New Member

i dont think you can get the genes about your penis from your mother, or am i wrong?

6. lellelind

lellelind Member

Donk is right!

7. mister_y

mister_y New Member

Exactly, and i would like to add that there are also X and Y chromosomes you get from the father (everybody has one Y from the mother). On the X chromosomes are the genes for boys, so i think that the genes for penis length are on this X chromosome from the father, and not from the mother.

8. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

I could have sworn that the X was from the mother and that the Y was from the father...A man is XY and a woman is XX on the chromosome charts so the gender of the child is always determined from which chromosome the father gives. (If there is a biology or genetics teacher around perhaps they could put it in better wording than I have)

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Far as I know, you're dead spot on, MMM.
    But I remember this from long ago, maybe the thinking's changed.

10. AMikkell

AMikkell New Member

Your right, it is XX and XY, this is why baldness comes from the mother. The X gene has more chromosomes than the Y, so some traits are determined soley from the mothers side, like baldness and colorblindness.

11. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I got my "stuff" from my mother's side.

My brother was significantly smaller than I.

But my maternal uncle is monstrous. I remember seeing it when I was ten or so when I walked into the bathroom without knocking.

My father (according to my mum) is "nicely average" whatever that means to her.

12. Horsehungjock

Horsehungjock New Member

im perfectly split betwen my parents, strangely enough i look exactly like both of them

i have my dads upper body build, the lower body build from my mom side of the family

my moms upbeatness and my dads fireyness, i could go on for days but is frightening how closely i resemble and act like both my parents but probably more from my dad side because i spent more time with them but im fairly split right down the middle of both

13. andyjuicer

andyjuicer New Member

Thats cool guys, i just wanted to see what your thoughts were. Mainly because i look just like my mother, and have all of my mum's side of the family's traits. But nice ot know there is a mix out there, and i didn't know about the xy thing.. well i knew about it, just not what they did.. ie the fater makes u male of female. That is pretty interesting stuff.

14. Macarion

Macarion New Member

No, the bald thing is because the gene for baldness is on the X chromosome. Females are XX and males are XY. The mother would X from both parents but baldness mostly affects males. This is only one trait. We don't get all our genes from our mother's father.

Edit: Ok, 2000 people already explained this.

15. Hillarious

Hillarious New Member

Actually, that's not QUITE correct. It's a concept called sex-linked traits. The gene for baldness, color-blindness and hemophilia, as well as many other things, are on the part of the X chromosome that ISN'T on the Y. Since men only get 1 X chromosome, whatever is on it will be displayed automatically. This could be either chromosome from the mother. Women, on the other hand, won't display the gene unless they have it on BOTH X chromosomes. That would mean both parents had the gene. Instead, women become carriers, not displaying the gene but being able to pass it onto their sons. Men, on the other hand, will not pass on the genes to their sons (because they pass on the Y chromosome) and all of their daughters will be carriers. So, in summary:

If the "large-penis" gene were sex-linked, it would have nothing at all to do with your father, and would actually be entirely dependent on your maternal grandfather. Your mother would then have a 50% chance of passing on the gene to you. We know that isn't true, but as I said before, baldness actually does work that way.

16. Macarion

Macarion New Member

oh yeah thats what i meant

Draft saved Draft deleted