20 Worst Foods in America.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't know how a person can eat Bob Evans Caramel Banana Pecan Cream Stacked and Stuffed Hotcakes, for breakfast. @1540 cals. Who do they sell this shit to?

Do people really eat this stuff? We don't have any fast food chain restaurants here in my town save for a Burger King and I'll only eat there as a last resort.

There was a move by the City of New York to put nutritional information on menus of all restaurants so that people could see just what it is they're eating but that quickly died.

I can see why.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Only two things come immediately to my mind:

Domestic chocolate. It's like the doggie chocolate over here. Yes, I have.

Domestic cheese. Puts me in mind of rubberised post-its. No, I've never eaten post-its that's just a metaphor.

Other than that most food I've eaten in the US was fine, even if it sometimes appeared to be 99% ersatz and a bizarre colour, but then I've never been a fussy eater and it's served in...generous portions!!

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I like Americans on the whole, I hate American chocolate, Dong finds it like dog chocolate, I find it like the 'chocolate flavoured candy' cheap kids sweets are made from.

There are at least ten mcdonalds within three or so miles from where I live, at one time you could go out to shop and eat in a variety of nice little cafes that offered a wide variety of foods, now it's either go for lunch in the pub or mcdonalds as they've driven all the nice places that used to exist out of business.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm picky about chocolate and cheese. That means no Hershey's or colby cheese for me. Fortunately I get a forty percent discount on all Godiva products at my job. :biggrin1:

McDonald's is ruining the physical health of people in every nation. That's sad. I know they're not solely responsible but Americans are known for their fast food ways and i'm embarrassed we've encouraged other cultures to indulge. What other country has all you can eat buffets? Oy.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was afraid to open the link because I was afraid all my favorite foods would be mentioned on the list. :biggrin1:

But I did anyway, and although my eating habits are not the best (I eat way too much fast food and convenience foods generally since I hate to cook), I have not eaten anything on this list. Yay me! :biggrin1::rolleyes:

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I like Americans on the whole, I hate American chocolate, Dong finds it like dog chocolate, I find it like the 'chocolate flavoured candy' cheap kids sweets are made from.

SP, in general I agree with you except for a couple of brands of American Chocolate in the "dark" varieties. I'm partial mostly to Sharffenberger. It's local to the Bay Area. It's made in a factory in Berkeley. Their chocolate nibs are to die for. They're pure chocolate, no filling... Mmmmmm....

And I do have to say I like Ghirardelli too. Their offices are in San Leandro here in the East Bay even though they are more associated with San Francisco.

Most American chocolate like Hershey's is too sweet for me. To me chocolate should have some of that good bitterness that is natural to the bean.

:biggrin1:

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
McDonald's is ruining the physical health of people in every nation. That's sad. I know they're not solely responsible but Americans are known for their fast food ways and i'm embarrassed we've encouraged other cultures to indulge.

Credit to McD's; they're trying to make amends for that over here. A McDonald's menu in the UK is actually relatively healthy now and contains just as much 'good' food as it does junk food. Of course, they can't force people to eat the salads and whatnot, but I'm not sure it's their fault what consumers choose to eat if they offer a range of foods.
Sadly, people are lazy and what food ASAP. Fast food chains are simply the result of good business sense. McDonald's has very much grown a conscience in the UK over the past few years, I can't say if it's the same anywhere else in the world.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I haven't eaten any "fast food" for twenty years. The thought of it let alone the smell makes me feel physically sick.

I am in favour of a punitive tax on this stuff, in the same way as we in the UK tax cigarettes heavily because of the ensuing health costs.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I tend to think "fast food" is trash stuff, and rarely eat it because i have allergies to certain oils. Some of these I can see as a once a year treat, not a daily indulgence.

That one guy that McDonald's found who ate at McD's constantly and was healthy? He's what is known as a statistical anomaly.

McDonald's just panders to kids, lies about the content of the food and will sell crud for promotinal purposes.They can go Mcfuck themselves.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ultimately people are responsible for what they choose to eat, but the U.S. food industry doesn't make it easy for people to make healthy choices.

With my schedule it's not always possible for me to prepare my own meals, so sometimes I need to eat out. There are few healthy choices. It's not just McDonalds-type fast food restaurants that are bad. Almost all restaurants have menus that are centered around meat, bread, pasta, potato, and dairy products, and the portions are much too large. Hence the meals are too high in fat and carbs, and are too high in calories. They're probably high in sodium, too. Sometimes you can save half for later, but that's not always possible, and it doesn't change the fact that you're not getting the fruits and vegetables that you need.

It doesn't need to be this way. It's my understanding that in Indian, Asian, African, Greek, and Middle Eastern cooking, there are lots of dishes that are rich in vegetables and legumes that are full of flavor (from healthy herbs and spices, not salt and fat). These foods could be prepared and served in a "fast food" format--and they often are, in their country of origin.

The American food industry has a responsibility to take a look at what people are eating in nations that don't have an obesity problem, that have low rates of cancer and heart disease, and that have overall good health. Then it should make those choices available to Americans. Portion sizes should be healthy and prices should be reasonable. If it costs too much, people won't eat it, or they'll make it an occassional treat, but won't be able to incorporate it fully into a healthy lifestyle.

Part of the problem is that whenever a chain restaurant like McDonalds or Applebees tries to offer some healthy items on the menu, they do a completely half-assed job of it. I suspect that's because they're just doing it for the publicity, so that they can make the claim that they offer healthy alternatives, not because they're really committed to transforming the industry to allow people to adopt healthier lifstyles. The food ends up being bland and boring, like a pile of iceberg lettuce with some low-fat cheese and a few wilted vegetables. I'd rather go outside and eat grass than eat a McDonalds salad. It's cheaper, would taste better, and would probably be healthier.

I think the change needs to start in schools. When I was growing up, the quality of food in school cafeterias was horrible. I was appalled to learn that many schools have let McDonalds and other fast food companies come in to publics schools and provide the lunches. In his film Super Size Me, (or maybe it was one of his TV documentaries), Morgan Spurlock shows how it IS possible to offer healthy food in a school cafeteria, that kids will eat it if it's available, and that the kids who are offered such a diet are healthier, happier, and perform better.

I think Jamie Oliver, the "Naked Chef," has done similar work in Britain, though not without some controversy.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The American food industry has a responsibility to take a look at what people are eating in nations that don't have an obesity problem, that have low rates of cancer and heart disease, and that have overall good health. Then it should make those choices available to Americans.

I understand and am sympathetic to this view but I fear it is naive.

The food industry will pander to whatever consumers have shown they will buy, but, beyond that, it's only responsibility is to maximize profit and please shareholders while meeting whatever government regulations it is subject to.

Don't look to the food industry to be the catalyst for a change to healthier food. Consumers will have to demand it with their dollars. That's really the only language industry understands.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Mmmm...1200 calorie Chipotle Grilled Chicken Burrito....

I'm going to go get one for lunch, now! Good, then, that it'll be the only thing I'll eat today...

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Credit to McD's; they're trying to make amends for that over here. A McDonald's menu in the UK is actually relatively healthy now and contains just as much 'good' food as it does junk food. Of course, they can't force people to eat the salads and whatnot, but I'm not sure it's their fault what consumers choose to eat if they offer a range of foods.
Sadly, people are lazy and what food ASAP. Fast food chains are simply the result of good business sense. McDonald's has very much grown a conscience in the UK over the past few years, I can't say if it's the same anywhere else in the world.

McDonald's has done the same thing here. Salads, chicken sandwiches, and for kids meals, you can substitute fries and soda with apple wedges and milk. They're still not great, though.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fast food will change when people demand it. Its no wonder the average American is over weight. We don't have home cooked meals, we go for fast food, its cheap and tastes well. ''some of it'' I prefer a subway sandwich a 6 inch sub is more than enough, drink water no soda or chips, a cookie once in a while.

Oh I would kill for a oatmeal cookie right now. :tongue:

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I absolutely love Whoppers from Burger King and the fries from McDonald's. I think eating those every once in a while is fine. I don't know anyone who eats fast food very often, and I would classify very often as once a week. The last time I ate a Whopper was back in June. I last ate fries from McDonald's in October. What I really used to love at McDonald's was their hot n' spicy chicken sandwiches. Those I could eat all day, every day. And few things in my book are better than a Hershey's bar with almonds.