2008 Election

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by stadarcad, Oct 21, 2007.

1. stadarcad

stadarcad New Member

I just wanted to get a thread sarted on the 2008 Election. I wanted to get everyones opinion and thoughts on it; from our current president to the possibility of a women running this country, to the possibility of having an African American president. lets not forget the rest on the Democrats and Republicans candidats. also what are some of the issues that matter to you weather it be health car, the war on Iraq and so on...

Thanks in advance for your input

2. avg_joe

Gold Member

John McCain 2008 !!!

3. Pirate Wench

Gold Member

Are you asking for choices if we've already decided ?

It is unfortunate that his name turns a lot of people off, or just makes them nervous, just for the name by itself.....
    But I have seen Obama as a guest on many talk shows now and he is always friendly, polite, courteous, respectful, and articulate.....and sometimes funny !

I think, depending on which side wins in 08.....if Obama runs again....he will fare even better.
    I don't think Hilary's got the Democratic nomination in the bag....not at all.
    I keep hearing from more and more people that they cannot stand to even hear her voice.

I like Bill Richardson also, but immediately pulling out of Iraq now would be a mistake.

I don't really like the Republicans who are running.......

Except for Fred Thompson.

I've been a FredHead since I heard he was just thinking about it last March.

I've Never agreed with any candidate 100%....I have to pick the one I agree with most.

4. mindseye

Gold Member

Earlier this year, I was a supporter of John Edwards, but in the past month or so, Chris Dodd has really stepped up to the plate. Unfortunately, I think it's too little too late for him to have any real impact in the race.

5. SteveHd

Gold Member

It's too soon for me to think about a decision. It might be a full year before I'm ready to decide. I'm going to try to tune out the primaries as much as I can. Being a procrastinator, I expect to be narrowing it down on 3.Nov.2008!

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

My crystal ball sees Giuliani/F. Thompson vs Clinton/M. Warner.

I'm afraid we're in for another battle of the courts.

7. JustAsking

Gold Member

Democrats:

I read two of Obama's books about a year ago before any campaigning really started. I was amazed at how articulate, and intelligent his writing was about politics from the grass roots to the international level, and about life in general. I heard him speak on public radio for about an hour before I knew who I was listening to. I was totally captivated by what he was saying.

So when people said he was the next JFK, I really understood what they were talking about. He has a way of talking about things that make you think the world can be a much better place, and that we are all better people than we think we are. This was one of JFK's gifts as a politician and a statesman. W

There was a debate format a while ago where the candidates came out one at a time and were interviewed by Soledad O'Brien in front of a live audience. That was the first time I saw Obama in that kind of a situation. I was amazed at how poorly Obama connected to the audience in that format. To me he suddenly seemed like Gov. Dukakis on the campaign trail, being very intellectual, but much more android-like than charismatic.

Conversely, Hillary amazed me for just the opposite reason. I expected her to be the aloof one since we have all been told time and time again that she is more like a corporate lawyer than a person who cares. It shows you how falsely impressions can be made by the media. From that debate forwared, Hillary has been decisive, professional, but somehow very warmly engaging. I think this is the first time that people have seen her as someone they can trust and relate to.

Anything can happen, of course, but Obama is 20 points behind Hillary right now and she seems, as the Clinton's always do, incapable of making a misstep in the campaigning process.

Finally, the other day Obama told a reporter that the polls don't matter anywhere near as much as the Iowa primaries. He said that whoever wins the Iowa primary becomes the candidate. Those that have checked on the statistics tend to agree with that.

Finally, whenever the country is so disatisfied with an encumbent party, an unknown candidate can come out of the woodwork and do very well for himself. Carter is a good example of that.

It's going to be a very interesting year for politics.

8. JustAsking

Gold Member

Republicans:

In the last election, for the first time in a long time, I found myself entertaining the idea of backing a Republican. John McCain impressed me with his record and his consistent and direct communication style. I also thought he was more apt to see the world as a complex place than the other Republican candidates. And the Democratic candidates did not impress me either.

This time around, I figured he would hold his course and make his way to the nomination. But almost from when the gun was fired, he abandoned his moderate and considered position and weasled his way right over as far right as he could get. He still seems 100 times smarter than Brownback, for example, but in just a few years he has gone from calling people like Jerry Falwell, "forces of evil", to giving the graduation speech at Liberty University. That is just one example of what I call his 'sellout" to the extreme right.

John McCain's supporters were people who admired his integrity and his effectiveness at doing non-partisan politics. He is on his way out now because he abandoned those supporters and revealed that this time he is simply an opportunist.

Fred Thompson hasn't stated an actual position yet. He seems unprepared. So far it seems like he is "phoning it in". I do see why people take to him as a person, though. He seems genuine and he has that attitude that he would kick the right butt to keep us all safe. He might be the "fear" candidate that Giuliani wishes to be.

Guiliani has a chance at impressing a large group of voters that he can keep the country safe and get stuff done by kicking butt, too. The far right thinks he might be the Prince of Darkness, though. That may or may not be a problem for him. I think if he gets the nomination, the extreme religious right will have suddenly found themselves marginalized, as if they died a while ago, but somebody forgot to tell them.

If I thought that were true, I would root for Guiliani. It would do the Republican party a world of good to jettison the extreme right baggage so they can get back to contributing to policy in the sober and competent way they were known for in the past.

When you find yourself admiring Goldwater as a moderate, you know the GOP has gone too far astray.

Mitt Romney scares the daylights out of me.

9. avg_joe

Gold Member

I support McCain because of his experience and integrity.

10. braumeister

braumeister New Member

Albums:
    Ron Paul

I've had an eye on him for years. If America has a chance to turn around from its collapse into empire, autocracy, and tyranny, it'll be because of him

11. JustAsking

Gold Member

Ron Paul's voting record.

He certainly is an interesting guy. Consistently libertarian year after year.

12. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've actually met and briefed Bill Richardson on a job related occasion. The questions he asked led me to believe he more was of a thinker than other politicians I've encountered in similar circumstances.

Gotta say about Fred Thompson: Does this guy ever take a firm position on a topic or actually do anything except jiggle his jowls and glower at the TV cameras while uttering homespun homilies?

On John McCain: There was a time I might have voted for McCain by not anymore. JustAsking said it quite well.

13. mindseye

Gold Member

Mark Warner is not likely to accept the nomination for vice-president; he announced in September his candidacy for the US Senate.

If Clinton is seeking a southern running-mate, Mike Easley is term-limited and (rumor has it) interested. Bill Richardson doesn't have the presidential chops, but he does have legitimate foreign policy and executive branch experience that would add credibility to her ticket.

On the Republican side, Fred Thompson would be a disastrous choice for Giuliani, as Thompson is also divorced, and that choice would alienate a huge part of the Republican base.

14. Pirate Wench

Gold Member

15. avg_joe

Gold Member

16. stadarcad

stadarcad New Member

do ya'll think Bill is a + or - to Hillary?

what do ya'll think about Al Gore running or not running? do the Dems need him?

do the reps. have a chance in 2008?

how far do ya'll think Stephen Clobert will go with his campaign?

17. EndowedGentlemn9

Albums:
    Mark Warner is running for the Senate in Virginia, effectively ruling him out as a VP candidate. Hillary has the Dem nomination almost locked up. Every night I pray that Fred Thompson is the Republican nominee. He'd get crushed.

Draft saved Draft deleted