2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Jan 8, 2010.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

Has anyone heard about these yet? It's appearing to be a very anticlimatic event. Aren't they coming up in just a few weeks?

2. WSEATTLE

WSEATTLE Well-Known Member

Albums:
    im guessing you live in BC? when i went their in november it was shocking how expensive everything was and how pissed off everyone seemed..

3. D_BobN_Weave

D_BobN_Weave New Member

I live in BC, bout an hour out of Vancouver, but if you are in Vancouver, they have been setting up more and more Olympic stuff, the Village has just opened up I believe, and final preperations are on the go basically. I have seen constant Olympic adverts on sport channels, non-stop talk about the Canadian hockey team and its selections and what not.

But over the holidays the IIHF World Juniors take the stage in Canada, so the Olympics sort tend to come second I think, but now that they are done and it is just over a month before the start of the Games, look for everything to go into overdrive.

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just was talking to a bud in Vancouver. Average ticket price for the hockey final is 800 dollars. Yikes. People are pissed off over how much money was spent on the highway up to Whistler. There is a perfectly good rail line up there from Vancouver and they could have adequately upgraded it and done some road improvement for way less money.

People are generally jaded about the Olympics nowadays. It's more about big business and jingoism than it is about sports. I think it was better before they allowed professional athletes to compete.

5. Smooth88

Smooth88 New Member

Albums:
    I personally can't wait. I love the Winter Olympics. 1 month and counting.

6. earllogjam

Gold Member

I haven't heard anything about the Olympics here on any news network in the US. Unlike the past Bejing and Athens Olympics. Maybe the winter ones are just low key.

I think I liked them better when both the winter and summer occured in the same year.

I think Vince is right about the Olympics turning into one big marketing event instead of being foremost about the competition. Then of course it takes so much money these days to host these games. I don't see how it could be feasible if it wasn't one big commercial.

7. D_Diesel Oyl

D_Diesel Oyl New Member

i think winter and summer olympic games should be in the same year

and i haven't heard anything about these coming up in Canada

Draft saved Draft deleted