2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by exwhyzee, Feb 12, 2010.

1. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Watching the opening ceremonies tonight...I really think I want to visit Vancouver now. The city and the region look amazing. I've been to the eastern part of Canada...maybe I need to go see the west too. :cool:

In spite of the tragedy today, I hope the games are the setting for good things to happen.

Anybody have some favorite sporting events they will be watching?

2. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I'm glued to the tube and will be until they're done. And if you should decide to go west (to Canada), let me know!

3. ital8

ital8 New Member

Vancouver was just recently nominated the 'most liveable city' in the world. I kind of take those polls in stride, but it does seem like a beautiful city. I'm also looking forward to the USA men's ice-hockey.

4. youngdumbfullofcum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Vancouver is a great city C= shame i did not make it to the Opening ceremonies, i have to work, but might make it to a few events :). But i am watching the opening ceremonies online But it is such a tragedy about what happen on the luge practice today though heartfelt condolences sent out to family and friends and of Nodar Kumaritashvili.

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Vancouver is one of the most wonderful cities I have ever visited. I tend to tune into the downhill ski competition. I competed for; but did not qualify for the the US Ski Team in 1972.

6. camper joe

Gold Member

7. lorne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    To bad they didn't show any of the great wonders of Vanc. Like the largest homeless population in canada... Good thing they broomed them into other areas of the city.

8. Smooth88

Smooth88 New Member

Albums:
    That 2D/3D display of the country's lineage was nothing short of amazing.

9. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    the young man doing the flying act was very good, and cute as shit.

Shaun White and Louie Vito make a very interesting couple.

Is it strange how much K.D. Lang looks like Wayne Newton. She sure can sing though.

#9 Deno, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  10. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Loving this.

11. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I left my heart in Vancouver the first summer I spent there, in 1987 -- year after Expo. Going out with friends to the Gandydancer, eating late at Fresgo Inn, meeting hot guys at the Garden Spa... ah, those were the days. As deeply as any human can fall in love with any other human, I fell in love with that city. I've been back more than 60 times to visit friends, Wreck Beach, and Whistler. I learned to snowboard on Grouse Mountain. Fortunately, my partner loves it, too, so it's really a question of when we move there, not if.

It made me really nostalgic to watch the 2010 Games opening ceremony.

12. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:

Yeah they sure picked a great song for her to sing.
    Gets me every time I hear it.

13. exwhyzee

Gold Member

She was great - that song was made for a voice like hers...and I thought Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" coupled with the plains of Canada was awesome. I even wanna go visit Winnipeg now!

14. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    imagine what you could do with a harness like that, endless possibilities. Some times the projection displays were extremely awesome. Not a China production but very good for 1/10th the budget.

15. captain garbonzo

captain garbonzo New Member

My friend went to film school in Vancouver for 2 years and I have visited there many times, including the '86 World Fair. Beautiful place. Definitely one of the nicest cities in the world.

I remember a taxi driver was taking us to Chinatown and he drove by an area near B.C. Place stadium and said that this area is the worst in Canada. I remember thinking that it looked much better than the worst places in the U.S., like the Tenderloin in San Francsisco.

16. captain garbonzo

captain garbonzo New Member

I thought it was excellent until the end. I enjoyed it more than the overblown China show. Wayne Gretzky looked like he was having some trouble holding up that flag while waiting......

17. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks. It is a wonderful place. Whistler and Cypress are our 'home' mountains. Cypress is a 5 minute drive from the house.

Too bad about the weather. Last year was amazing for snow. But this rain is fairly typical.

I'll be watching some skating, the downhill events, and of course hockey. As is normal in Canada, nothing less than the Gold will be acceptable in hockey.

EuroSport 1 has really good non-stop coverage in HD and it's commercial free. It's great.

18. henry777

henry777 Well-Known Member

I thought the visual effects was amazing. Overall it was a great show except for minor mistakes. I love this city. There are tons of hunky men here from all over the world. Lick, lick.

19. catman

Gold Member

I have to admit the earlier tragedy left a sour feeling in my mouth...so I changed channels...

I hope they can overcome that...

I dont' think Atlanta ever got past its 'great olympics and the bomb guy' image..(and the slight of the IOC didn't help)

20. vibrator

vibrator New Member

Yeah, the olympics look awesome, Canada did a great job with the opening ceremony, but it probably looks better on TV then being their. Canada is way too cold, but the east here is probably just as bad right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted