2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I watched the game (it's completely alien to me) and thought it was a great grandstand to a great games.

Thanks Canadia - see Y'all in London. I'm intending to volunteer as one of the meet and greet peeps.

It was an awesome gold medal hockey game last night! My heart stopped when the Americans scored with ony 25 seconds left on the clock in the 3rd period. Sid the kid really came through - not only for winning the gold in men's hockey, but also for pushing Canada over the previously held record of 13 gold medals being awarded to one country at a winter Olympics. Canada now holds the record for winning the most gold medals in winter Olympics history at 14 gold medals! It seems kind of silly now that we were worried about winning 1 gold medal on home soil. WAY TO GO CANADA!

D_BobN_Weave

Experimental Member
Media
I had the opportunity to go watch Canada vs Germany and it was amazing! I walked around Robson and Granville street till about 1:30 in the morning, the streets were always packed!! Such a great 2 weeks for Vancouver and Canada. It was an amazing event, with amazing people, amazing fun, amazing memories that will last a lifetime!

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Vancouver medals in condom distribution - CNN.com

"Over the course of 17 days, the health agency doled out 100,000 condoms, supplied by the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control. And after buzz, some based on rumors, grew that there was a shortage -- "We were not getting calls from people saying, 'Help, I need condoms,'" Adams laughed -- an emergency shipment of 8,500 additional rubbers came in from the Canadian Foundation for AIDS Research."

B_curiousme01

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Vancouver, British Columbia is the most beautiful place I have yet to visit. And I do not say that lightly. I have family about 1.5 hours North of there and we drove to and from the city. Such a beautiful place and quite unlike any other I have ever visited. I found the Canadians very friendly and everyone, every age at the reunion was a hockey freak... "hockey this and hockey that" on and on. Even the newborn had a team onesie. :) I was happy they won the game and I am all American.

I watched very night and some of the daytime events (skiing of some sort). As far as the opening ceremonies "OH NO!" of the fourth cauldron not opening, all I have to say is EVENT PRODUCERS BIGGEST F'ING NIGHTMARE ON WORLDWIDE TELEVISION BROADCAST!!!!!!!!!!!! Then, the tv "personalites" kept running it in! Painful. I thought they did a fantastic job at the closing ceremonies with the clown Intro and bringing the woman back to light it. Very, very well done. Brillant, in fact. For me, seing the natives included gave me a new respect for Canadians.

I thought they did a fantastic job at the closing ceremonies with the clown Intro and bringing the woman back to light it. Very, very well done. Brillant, in fact. For me, seing the natives included gave me a new respect for Canadians.

Me too! I thought the mime was a brilliant and humorous way to deal with the issue. Canadians are known for their sense of humour and their ability to poke fun at themselves (just look at Hollywood which is full of Canadian comics, and the fact that talent scouts from the U.S. often visit the Just for Laughs festival in Montreal to scout out new talent). I was thrilled and very proud that Canada acknowledged and included our aboriginal population in the winter Olympics. Canada is an inclusive, officially multi-cultural society, and we wanted the world to know it. :cool: