2010, what are we passing on?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DGirl, Jan 8, 2010.

1. DGirl

Gold Member

I know maybe half of this site has kids ranging in ages from, babies, teens to adult children. I have had a nice amount of time to search the web a little since I moved from Hawaii to my new home outside of Hawaii...

I have posted threads here a lot and I take the time to read MANY forums on what topics they are talking about. Too MANY times I have came upon a WHOLE kick in the FACE kind of HATE. Not only do they DOWN gays, they write RACIAL SLURS and just HATEFUL RACIST NAME calling of other groups, manly Black.

I wonder where if any are their MODS? I know most sites are Adult sites that I look at. But, that is NOT ADULT language!! That is the way KIDS and uneducated people ACT on the web or computer warriors. I for one Will NOT call you a racist name on the NET nor to your face. If you were face to face with me and made me angry, you will just have to see. But, on the WORLD wide net. I will stay calm because what else can I do? I can not hurt you. Nine times out of ten, no matter what I say, the person fighting with me won't care what I even have to WRITE. So, I just MOVE on.

But, I wonder about if these people that are typing this kind of HATE on their computers. What are they teaching their children? They can not be teaching them to LOVE other race's of people, but YET typing NASTY HATE on the web. If they are, then I have no clue what to say. But, I doubt that these people that are using HATE, RACIST WORDS on the net are teaching their children to not hate.

So, are you teaching YOUR children about the difference of people that are not the same as you? Are you taking them to the public library or buying books about different people and cultures, letting them play with other race children, having the other DIFFERENT children come to your home to study with your child, answering your child's questions when they ask those HARD race questions and ...etc?

I grew up hearing story's from my older family members and I seen so many different races because they talked to not only our race, but others as well. I also have MANY races married into my family that had children that are mixed with different races. Heck, I like that my BLOOD is NOT one race either. But, I do claim ONE race myself. But, not many of you grew up like I did. You all had one race of people in your area, your RACE. Then the people outside your area, you had your Negative story's that you heard from you parents about them. So, you passed them along to your children, maybe?

I am just wondering since so many of you are in the UK, Asia, Middle East, USA, Canada and so many other places on this great Earth. What are your VIEWS of how we can teach not only our children but ourselves NOT to hate and how we can learn about each others culture?

I found a link that may help some of you get started, or just read.
    Talking to your Child about Hatred and Prejudice - Printable Version

2. kielbasacock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have no children living...but would like to foster (am in the process). I'm ex- military, and have seen a bit of the world. I have no problems with people who are of other races, having worked for a large corporation with multinationals. Even in conservative churches that bashed people of other sexual persuasions, i have no problems or hang ups, just not interested in being a part of their sexual fantasies. They are all God's children, and He is love...I'll look at your link in the future to see what is there, just remind me soon, OK, D-girl?

3. kielbasacock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Being Polish, I've had my share of ribbing, and name calling. Personally, if you call me a Pollock, I have no probems with it, as long as you smile while you say it. I have hispanic relatives who are tired of the racism they experience, and are taking up for themselves, because they are all legal here. The Illegals really suffer. I guess in part it is due to the language barrier, and all the locals think we are talking about them, but it is not so. We were taught to love all mankind. My Babcia (polish grandmother) had many neighborhood children who loved her.

I grew up when bussing in the schools started, and there was a lot of talk about moving, and putting the children in private schools to protect them. My parents chose to keep us in the public schools. We are more the richer for the experiences we have had. I had no problem with color (the virgin of Poland -Czestochowa is black! read up on it) Now I have family members married to blacks, and i am obviously married to a Hispanic lady. It is changing on a world wide level and rapidly from the world I grew up in.

As for teaching children, I don't have much experience - we have no children living.. My daughter lived 11 days. I'd like to think she would have lived in a world where she could have a chance at making a real difference. But the Man upstairs had other plans. I'll see her one day, I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to views on this thread, so I can be prepared when we foster children.

4. Daisy

Gold Member

Kielbasa I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter.
    All I can say is that when the whole Proposition 8 thing blew up in California (the right for gays to marry) a lot of parents were furious that elementary school children were supposedly told that it's OK, or normal for homosexuals to get married. I found that pretty disgusting that they would be outraged about that, and I told my son that gays were just like anyone else, should have the same rights as anyone else and that I hoped he'd be accepting of all people and all races. I thought it was absurd that they wanted to shelter kids from the topic at all. I mean we're not talking about the right to legalize sodomy..it's marriage! I also told him that if he were gay I'd love him no matter what.
    My thought is, I will teach my children to be educated and to learn about all races, cultures, religions etc and decide for themselves. I do have my own opinions and beliefs but I would rather tell them how I feel, but that they are allowed to form their own opinions. I do think DGirl brings up a good point in that the internet has allowed a whole new generation of "haters" to fester in their own negative hatred and judgement about other people. Even all of the celebrity culture seems to have fostered it. I think in the old days people admired celebrities and now it seems to be a race who can get out the cell camera phones, hide in the bushes and bring someone down with the click of a button. We seem to love to hate people these days. It is a shame.

5. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'll teach mine to love everyone. Except for the people whom they are better than, of course.

6. DGirl

Gold Member

Only...HazelGod:tongue:

But, I am SORRY to hear that kielbasacock, sorry I had to leave chat last night/ morning..
    I had to get some darn SLEEP!!!!!! I also came up with a idea. Take your wife to the store with you NEXT time and have her pick out the idem herself. You will be surprised what that will do for you!!:redface: You MEN need to do that once in your lifetime.. Also, I am not sure if it counts. But, I just remembered that my hubby did BUY me undies. But, it was a Sanrio store and they just happen to have the NEW choco cat panties and I got a few pair. So, I guess hubby DID buy me undies other than my grannies..
    It was also nice talking to you in Chat!

seaside,
    That is WOW!! Folks got NUTS over Gays because not ALL of them even want kids. At least you know who your kids are going to school with. I am glad that you even took the time to talk to your kid. I went to school with MANY different backgrounds and I talked to just about all of them. I learned some really neat stuff. Even our teachers were from different backgrounds. Before, I met my high school BEST friend I was in AWE of this one older German teacher from Jr. High. She was the REASON I wanted to LEARN German! That women was so COOL! I am not sure if she knew but I looked up to her with respect! Then we also had this one teacher from Spanish background in GRADE school. She was also a older teacher , who also loved sharing her background with us. She would bring Spanish dishes that she made in her home to share with us at school. My LORD!! That is why I loved them. They took the time to be real good teachers and showed us that going that bit of extra mile that you can change and TEACH people about different backgrounds. I am older and married and I still remember them and a Few OTHER teachers that took that extra step. Do they still have GOOD teachers like that now days?

I remember a silly thing that stuck in my head from Japan. I worked at the NEX Mini mart gas station and this White Military wife came in with her young Child. I was out in the isles when this little girl pointed to this Pink lotion in the Black hair care area. She goes to her momma what it that for? Her momma goes, it is body lotion. I know I should not have stepped in but I was like, WHAT?? I told that little girl that is is for your hair, to keep it from being dry, which it IS!!!!!!!! duh!! I am sure MANY folks heard of it? If not this is what it looks like

Pink

Well, anyways, I did not want this girl growing up thinking that this was for SKIN!! Which was really funny for her momma to tell that to her child. What if she dates a Black guy( you never know)? Then she try's to apply that stuff to his arms or something?:eek:
    But, when I told the young girl what it was REALLY for, and she put it in her memory bank. Her Momma gave me the MOST NASTIEST glare I ever seen on that Base.. Like I spit on her kid or something! I was like ok,,, and went back to work. I mean they are in Japan and the kid will ask her AGAIN what the stuff out in town is and whatnot. She can not just MAKE up stuff ( like with the HAIR lotion), she should tell her kid that she is not sure!! Find out together and show her kid that is how things work. By doing a bit of asking others and that she does NOT have ALL the answers..

7. kielbasacock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks for the sympathy, all...
    I have a question, it may be for another thread, but i really like this one. I'ts a bit disgusting, but here goes.

FYI: In central america there is little water. In the bathrooms are cisterns for flushing the toilets in some homes. Most central americans as a result put the used tp in the trash can. I personally find it repugnant. especially since I have to clean the bathroom afterwards. Here in america you put the tp in the toilet. You get the idea.

My question: How do I tell the Hispanics of our customs so they don't feel bad, and how can I do so in the future to foster Love between our fellow man? It could reduce the racism here in MD....:confused:

To complicate the matter I have dual flush toilets. That is a new thing for me and for most americans. Maybe while I instruct them in the use of the toilet, I can explain this to them. (they will be here on Thursday- Men's group of the local church - brother-in-law is the Pastor)

D-Girl: I will see if she wants me to go with her to pick out the sexy stockings. Once she sent me to the department store to get her some underwear, but I ran into a Polish Nun friend of mine. I was so embarrassed for the first time in my life...Lingerie departments never bothered me (with 4 sisters growing up, it wouldn't). but for the first time, it did. :eek:

#7 kielbasacock, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  8. DGirl

Gold Member

Babe..
    About the toilet issues.. I will just say LEAVE it alone...
    Just keep YOUR home the way YOU do.. But, if they come over you can explain to them and have your wife do it also. On how you want the Poop and whatnot disposed of in YOUR home..
    I would NOT bring that up at a meeting. They have been doing that this long and by you being a NEW person to them or their area.. It will cause a BIT of not so much Happiness on MANY.. So, that can be left out on how they do their waste..

9. Principessa

Gold Member

:cool: My grandmother would have loved you to bits for that. :tongue:

10. kielbasacock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    D-Girl, thanks for the comment. My wife and I discussed it and she says the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted