2012, dec 21st End of Mayan Calander

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
that's quite a giant logical fallacy there: the time and resources needed to acquire an information are irrelevant when it comes to its validity

Not really. People who knew computers knew 2000 was balderdash.

But nobody alive today comes close to knowing astronomy/astrology like the ancients. It was their life, adn they observed everythign around them and infused it with astronomy. Human actions, crop cycles, everything. They believed there was a connection between existance and celestial movement, so they sought evidence.

HaagenDazs

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been hearing about this everywhere as of late. And I believe as we get closer and closer to the date, more and more will it make news. I predict ABC will do a special news event one of these nights, lol.

Anyway, the Mayans say it's the end of the calender, etc. But not just the Mayans, many other tribes, peoples, civilizations predicted catastrophe, change, etc on the date.

Some say a pole shift, etc.

The fact is that, with modern technology we should be able to survive most catastrophes with the exception of the Earth exploding, the sun throwing out solar flares, and the oceans rising simultaneously. A Pole shift, while difficult, and catastrophic wouldn't necessarily spell the end. It would just be a change of epic proportions.

However, some astronomers/Nasa have been predicting the sun will increase solar flares around that time. Now if the sun starts licking the Earth we're fucked.

Oh and if some great energy, spirit, or metaphysical power comes down from the skies, depending on how it feels that day, we're eithr in luck...or we're fucked.

Bottom line, is that 2012 is more than just a date. We have become such a technological, proof-oriented world, and believe only what we're told, that we dismiss the knowledge of the ancients. Don't be so sure. 2012 is nothing like 2000. 2000 was a bullshit fear based on computers of the past 50 years. 2012 has been centuries in the construction and observation.

So the fact is live each moment to the fullest. Because whatever happens in 2012, none of us are guaranteed tomorrow anyway. So it's just another day that something might come to an end, but only that time it just MIGHT be set in stone.

We'll see, won't we.

But remember. MORE THAN JUST THE MAYANS OBSERVERS THAT DATE. MANY ancient civilizations predicted it, and they had no contact with each other. So something's gonna happen. Shit...I'm praying for a solar eclipse, lol.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
One of the joys of surviving past one's twenties and having a halfway decent memory is that we remember some, if not all, of the times before during our lifetimes when the earth was coming to an end.

One time it might have been because of something Nostradamas said. Another it might have been because someone had a new interpretation of John. Another might have been because someone saw something unusual in the heavens.

The ancient Mayans believed in all kinds of things we don't believe in now, but let's say they observed something like a comet coming in for a close call or some shift in the magnetic poles. Say they calculated when it would happen again. Okay, if they were accurate and correct, we may be up a creek, but I think that is a long shot. More likely is that whatever it is is not going to be as bad as some seem to think or that we can now deal with something the ancient Mayans couldn't. Even MORE likely is that nothing major will happen unless large groups of people are misguided and sadly inspired to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The bigger question for me then is the following: why do you suppose so many humans get almost jubilant about the possiblity of "end times" or world wide catastrophes?

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well I will be attending a wedding on Dec. 21 2012 in California.

My friend considers it the most romantic date ever.

(If the end of my life is at a wedding I will be soooo pissed)

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
At the current rate of technology growth, there should be a supercomputer that can mimic the human brain by 2013.

I am really tired of people thinking it's about the end of the world, and then comparing it to other doomsday predicitions (not just here, but everywhere), and bunking it based on that. It is not necessarily an end of the world prediction.

It could also be, that in 2012 we discover how to stop [SIZE=-1]telomeres from shortening as DNA divides. Mre interestingly, it might be a cheap method, meaning immortality for all.
[/SIZE]

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Something catastrophic will happen in 2012 (so the Mayans say, I'm inclined to agree). This could mean a devastating flood or maybe some serious upheaval in the Middle East.

The Mayans were so advanced, I think its amazing they could make a 3d calendar. I can't even make paper mache :tongue:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Time ran out for the Mayans a long time before their calendar did.

Do you remember December 31st 1999? Every computer on Earth was going to die, planes were going to fall out of the skies, medical equipment was going to fail, phone systems were going to crash, it was going to be the end of the world as we knew it. Anyone recall what actually happened?

[Answer: Nothing happened]

cheers

Dillon

A certain Prince song got played a lot, though. :biggrin1:

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I got my ass reamed by teachers in 8th grade catholic school for bringing up past civilisations billions of years ago.Hey, Its possible.
Looking at the numbers and the math and the accuracy Its bind boggling.
There was a real possibility of major fuck ups dec 31,1999. No one really knew.Almost everything electronic has a timer in it.Did you know for sure that nothing was going to happen?

B_josiah852

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If I remember reading about this years ago and it said that this meant: The end of time as we know it. Now what that means......who knows.

People always misunderstand 2012. It does not necessarily mean the end of the world.

It could be the rise of a new religion
or a huge scientific breakthrough akin to electricity or writing.
It could be the collapse of an empire.

bendigoboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
As a trivia buff, I hadn't even been aware that the Mayans dated their calendar from the birth of Christ, or even that they had a Calendar that exactly replicated the one that wasn't finally resolved in the West until Centuries later!

Can you provide any further advice on where they saw themselves situated vis-a-vis the "International Dateline", as this will obviously have some bearing on what time I need to be prepared out here in Australia?

Thanks

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As a trivia buff, I hadn't even been aware that the Mayans dated their calendar from the birth of Christ, or even that they had a Calendar that exactly replicated the one that wasn't finally resolved in the West until Centuries later!

Obviously they did not. It is possible, however, to use math to figure out which dates on the Mayan calendar correspond to which dates on the Gregorian, Julian or other calendars.

Also, most Mayans lived aroud -6h GMT.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Developing an extremely accurate calendar through carefull observation for a very long period of time is an excellent, untill recently, unsurpassed achievement. Much more meticulous than the christians, who were off by four years.

Predicting the future is a completely different matter, and not humanly possible.

Maybe I missed something, but in the Wikipedia article on the mayan calendar, there is no mention of an end of time.