2012, dec 21st End of Mayan Calander

rich-9.8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I got my ass reamed by teachers in 8th grade catholic school for bringing up past civilisations billions of years ago.Hey, Its possible.
Looking at the numbers and the math and the accuracy Its bind boggling.
There was a real possibility of major fuck ups dec 31,1999. No one really knew.Almost everything electronic has a timer in it.Did you know for sure that nothing was going to happen?

Yes, of course I knew for sure nothing was going to happen. As far as 8th grade boys getting their asses reamed in Catholic school, surely that is not so unusual either?

There will be a total eclipse over part of Australia November 13th 2012. Feel free to add in some vague and poorly researched crap about Gregorian vs. Julian calendars making the dates screwy and the apocalypse is good to go.

Try to remember, having an open mind does not equate to believing any old shit somebody on the internet or daytime TV tells you :biggrin1:

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
There are several cultures around the world that see it ending around this time. Catholics have the Prophesy of Malachi, where the next Pope will be the last one, before the End of Days.

We're also supposed to have an astrological "near miss"/"potential impact" around that time.

The turning of 1999-2000 was arbiratry, but for some reason, the 2012 creeps me out. By 2010, I'll start searching for a bunker. :biggrin1:

D_Joseba_Guntertwat

Experimental Member
Media
The end of a Mayan long count calendar has traditionally signified the end of an era and the beginning of something else, either a drastic change in perception on a global scale or an awakening of some sort. The latest book by Daniel Pinchbeck (one of my favourite authors) speculates that this date could bring about a kind of noosphere, an evolved theory of the mind and consciousness on a global level. A very interesting read, indeed - check out '2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl' if you have an open mind.

With all due respect, that's a load of bollocks! I presume by 'open mind', you actually mean 'gullible hippy mind that believes in stuff like this'.

But nobody alive today comes close to knowing astronomy/astrology like the ancients. It was their life, adn they observed everythign around them and infused it with astronomy. Human actions, crop cycles, everything. They believed there was a connection between existance and celestial movement, so they sought evidence.

Again nonsense. Astrology is rubbish, and we know more about astronomy now than ever before, we have massive telescopes in space FFS!

avsfan69

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a sneaking suspicion that on Dec 21st, 2012, its going to snow, and you will see lots of commercials that say "Only 4 shopping days left"....

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have a sneaking suspicion that on Dec 21st, 2012, its going to snow, ...
It might snow where you are but one thing is for sure: the winter solstice! Per Naval Observatory, the winter solstice will arrive 21 Dec 2012 at 1111zulu, which would be 6:11am EST.

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
It's interesting at least. At one time I read some pretty good debunking of the Orion Phophecy, but no longer really recall exactly what the debunking pointed out. The internet will probably be buzzing heavily about this stuff around 2011 into 2012. I don't think it will be wise to sell the house and run the streets all wild eyed, just in case nothing happens.

Back in 999 many stopped growing crops and prisoners were let out of prison because the church had said the end of time was at hand with 1000 approaching.

2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2012 is sometimes claimed to be a great year of spiritual transformation (or apocalypse). Many esoteric sources interpret the completion of the thirteenth B'ak'tun cycle in the Long Count of the Maya calendar (which occurs on December 21 by the most widely held correlation) to mean there will be a major change in world order.
  • Polar Shift is a theory that on December 21st 2012 Earth will experience earthquakes, volcanic eruptions or other natural disasters.
Accordingly, several eclectic authors claim that a major, world-changing event will take place in 2012:
  • The 1995 book The Mayan Prophecies linked the Maya calendar with long-period sunspot cycles.
  • The book 2012: Mayan Year of Destiny claims the Maya may have been instructed in their wisdom by discarnate entities from Orion and the Pleiades. Contact was maintained through shamanic rituals conducted in accordance with the movements of planets and stars.
  • However, Mayan priests living and working in Guatemala aver that the so-called Mayan Prophecy for 2012, as touted by various foreign New Agers who have no knowledge of Mayan culture, language, or religion, is twaddle.
  • The 1997 book The Bible Code claims that, according to certain algorithms of the Bible code, a meteor, asteroid or comet will collide with the Earth.
  • The book The Nostradamus Code speaks of a series of natural disasters caused by a comet (possibly as above) that will allow the third Antichrist to disperse his troops around the globe under the guise of aid in preparation for a possible nuclear war, although in the strictest sense it is unspecific as to nuclear war or some other natural or man caused destruction.
  • The book The Orion Prophecy claims that the Earth's magnetic field will reverse.
  • The 2005 book Beyond 2012: Catastrophe or Ecstasy by Geoff Stray reviews several theories, prophecies and predictions concerning 2012 and finds where authors have used faulty information or have bent the truth to fit their theories.
  • The 2006 book 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck discusses theories of a possible global awakening to psychic connection by the year 2012, creating a noosphere.
  • The 2007 book Apocalypse 2012: A Scientific Investigation into Civilization's End by Lawrence Joseph does not make any specific new predictions, but it reviews a number of 2012 predictions made by various sources, and presents arguments for the possible existence of dangerous positive feedback loops involving solar storms, Earth's magnetic field, cosmic rays, hurricanes, global warming, earthquakes, and supervolcanoes that may be on the verge of erupting.
Other prophecies and apocalyptic writings and hypotheses for this year include:
  • Terence McKenna's mathematical novelty theory suggests a point of singularity in which humankind will go through a great shift in consciousness.
  • The Prophecy of the Popes, attributed to Saint Malachy, speculated that Pope Benedict XVI would reign during the beginning of the tribulation of which Jesus spoke, and sometime later a future pope described in the prophecy as "Peter the Roman", the last in this prophetic list, would appear, bringing as a result the destruction of the city of Rome and the Last Judgment.
  • Some proponents of a peak oil catastrophe place major events in 2012. Richard C. Duncan's book The Peak of World Oil Production and the Road To The Olduvai Gorge claims that the Olduvai cliff will begin and permanent blackouts will occur worldwide. Several studies predict a peak in oil production in or around 2012. [10] [11] [12]
  • Some alien-enthusiasts (e.g. Riley Martin), along with some new-agers, believe 2012 to correspond approximately with the return of alien "watchers" or "caretakers" who might have helped the first human civilizations with developing their technology and may have been waiting for us to reach a higher level of technological and/or social advancement. Beliefs range from the extra-terrestrials having benevolent purposes — such as to help human society evolve — to malevolent purposes — such as enslavement of mankind and/or manipulation.
  • There is a Hindu following indicating the appearance of an Avatar (God in human form) with God-like powers who will herald a new age. A website to this effect appears at: End of the World 2012.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't belive anything will happen. It will just be another year. We have heard all this crap many times in the past.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
All I have to say is, I'm going to be highly pissed if the world comes crashing to an end, and I have nothing to show for it but a mountain of academic debt and a sore lack of a career. At least I still have the package, tho.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Again nonsense. Astrology is rubbish, and we know more about astronomy now than ever before, we have massive telescopes in space FFS!

What do astronomers know about the way the moon affects people?
What do they know about the effects of the stars on people?
What do astronomers know about the seasonal diets of women, and how they affect the growth of embryo and fetuses?

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Do you remember December 31st 1999? Every computer on Earth was going to die, planes were going to fall out of the skies, medical equipment was going to fail, phone systems were going to crash, it was going to be the end of the world as we knew it. Anyone recall what actually happened?
Actually, I was involved in updating some rather important financial systems for Y2K that would have caused major problems had it been ignored. And, I made a lot of cash doing it. :biggrin1:

Anyway, what's going to happen? If we remain on our present course I'm not sure we'll need to worry about it. :eek5:

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually, I was involved in updating some rather important financial systems for Y2K that would have caused major problems had it been ignored. And, I made a lot of cash doing it. :biggrin1:

That's very true. Alot of people say, "see, nothing happened", but thats because tens of thousands of professionals had been working for years to upgrade systems.

My friend's dad worked at Bennevilee Power here in Washington State, and his job was switiching over the software, because it was in PASCAL, IIRC.

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey, maybe this is when Cthulhu will pay us all a visit! I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to get on his bad side, so I won't be eating squid or octopus anymore. :redface:

Naaah, scratch that. :mad:

I think a more realistic thing to expect will be this: Fox Network will make a ridiculous disaster movie based on that date. Remember Y2K? :rolleyes:

Also, if you go to Zeitgeist - The Movie, 2007, watch the movie between the 20 minute and 30 minute mark. It's a streaming movie, so you can slide the bar forward. While not giving any pat answers, it DOES claim to reveal in a nutshell and with conviction, the sources of why people believe many of the superstitious things that they do. :rolleyes: As for the rest of the movie, it's an uneasy concoction of 911 conspiracy theory and Freemason and Illuminati musings.

WildHoney

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I cant even believe this thread has some serious responses. Astounding.

I have a question.

How many people who believe it will be an actual event are Christian, or religious?

x
Honey

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I cant even believe this thread has some serious responses. Astounding.

I have a question.

How many people who believe it will be an actual event are Christian, or religious?

x
Honey

I am neither christian, or religious.

But I find science to be highly susceptible to personal perceptions sometimes.

D_Joseba_Guntertwat

Experimental Member
Media
What do astronomers know about the way the moon affects people?
What do they know about the effects of the stars on people?
What do astronomers know about the seasonal diets of women, and how they affect the growth of embryo and fetuses?

Apart from the obvious monthly cycles which are dependent on the moon's gravitational pull, I think astronomers (and most educated people) know that the movement of the stars and planets have no effect on people at all.
Seasonal diets of women?? What have you been smoking?