220 Million Metric Tons Wasted Every Year.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by OhWiseOne, Jan 24, 2012.

1. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I found this artical interesting regarding food waste in the world. I really wasn't searching for this specifically but more about food pantries. I have notice in the past 6 months that the line at the local food pantry has easily tripled. This artical and those lines just got me thinking. We produce so much food but seem to have difficulty getting it to everyone that needs it.
    There are many factors that influence this situation and I know there is no easy answer.
    Can education really change this situation?

Food Waste Denounced as Almost 1 Billion People Go Hungry - Businessweek

2. bobg4400

Gold Member

Here in the UK there was a scheme about collecting food in separate bins along with the other recycling stuff and turning it into compost.
    Also in America food scraps can be thrown into the waste disposal unit and are processed along with the normal sewage so obviously dont end up in landfills.

It's technically possible to reduce current waste levels to effectively 0% if governments rolled out effective, comprehensive recycling collections for paper/carboard,glass and plastic as well as including one for food.

The only waste left is electrical waste and even this can be recycled at special depots.

On a related note does anyone know what happens to the raw sewage etc when you flush the toilet and sinks?

EDIT: There are also plans to remove the 'Best Before' dates on food in the UK to avoid people throwing it away when it's still edible. You should throw food away only if it's past the 'Use By' date since at this point it's usually mouldy/stale.

#2 bobg4400, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I wasn't really talking about recycling but better use / distribution of food produced. Although recycling is important.

With regards to sewage. In the U.S. there are two ways waste water treatment plants and in my case a septic system.

4. vibrationzzz

Gold Member

Albums:
    Was thinknig about this again the other night when at the local Sizzler (buffet restaurant), order your meal then it's as much salads, pasta, desserts as you want. I was disgusted at the waste of good food left on plates by other patrons. Some steak meals were hardly even touched.

It shows no thought for others in this world, not just the starving, but producers of the food, the work that goes into growing and processing, the fuels etc. More importantly for the animals sent to the abattoir.

If you have no respect for something or the things that feed you to keep you alive, you pretty much have no respect for anything else.

5. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fast food restaurants often have a policy of tossing the prepared sandwiches and things if they are an hour or two old. This goes into dumpster, and technically it is illegal to re-sell or donate this food. That doesn't keep a certain class of street person from climbing in at times for a free warm meal.

When I was a small-town waitress all food scraps went 'home' with the owner to feed the pigs.

6. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    In the article they talk about "grandmothers knowledge" which really means when people understood food, how to make it and make it stretch. My grandma was an excellant cook. Boy I miss those days. :smile:

7. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Unfortunately here you have to pay to recycle. You have to purchase a bin for recycling purposes. (Which are frequently stolen)
    You would think the Great Lakes, one of the biggest freshwater supplies out there...would have a better program.

Nope.
    I even had a hard time recycling my used engine oil and automotive fluids.
    The only way you can get rid of antifreeze or ATF, is waiting 6 months or more for a local county waste drive. By then it's either thrown out in the trash or poured into the ground. (Not by me, but you know others do it)

Same thing with tires. You have to pay for tire disposal. Most just dump them in empty lots

No convenient free system means you'll have lots of landfill waste.

8. AG08

Gold Member

9. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    One of my ex-es worked for a food bank making deals with local restaurants to pick up their excess food and distribute it to the needy. Panera bread and catering establishments were a boon to them. The amount of food they provided was amazing! The program required donations for them to purchase a special food truck and staff to pick the food up and drop it off, which they were able to do by holding charity balls and stuff like that.

It can be done. This is a solvable problem.

10. rayray

rayray Active Member

Yes I worked at McDonalds years ago, They usually threw food about 20 minutes old right into the garbage, unbelievable waste when there are hungry people everywhere.The management claimed to blame it on lawsuits..I used to cook at a hospital drug and alcohol rehab. We were in a seperate building and was told to throw what was not eaten that night to throw it away..Since i worked alone..I would wrap it and pack it up and dropped it at A Salvation Army i had worked at in Sarasota.

11. concupisys

concupisys Active Member

when i worked in food service, i found it appalling just how much food would get wasted on a daily basis.... what was worse is that said establishments actually had a policy that this leftover but perfectly good food was to be thrown out, and anyone doing anything to the contrary would be fired and charged with theft.... technically, i should have been fired every single day i worked the closing shifts at these places.... i would stuff my backpack, and on my walk home i would give the food away to people on the street.... like, after living in poverty as well as volunteering in food banks and soup kitchens, there was no way i was going to let that food just be wasted, and i was willing to risk my job and my clean criminal record to ensure people did not go hungry....

12. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I really hate to throw this in but many of you have discussed restaurant policy. I believe their concern is lawyers and being sued. If this is wrong I would like more insight into this.

13. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I don't know about that.

I know that the food bank my ex worked at offered tax deductions for food donations from restaurants. Regarding concerns over being sued, after several warnings they had to end the deal with a local natural/organic grocery store because they kept donating rotten and inedible food, presumably for the tax credit. It's the only explanation I can think of, that they held on to the food until it could no longer be sold before giving it away. Either that or their staff were idiots and couldn't tell the difference between which foods needed to go in the trash and which foods were still good to eat.

If they were concerned about being sued, they wouldn't give away inedible food that could make people sick.

That reasoning doesn't make any sense to me anyway. If they're concerned about being sued over their food, then shouldn't they not be in the business of selling food at all? :confused:

#13 petite, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  14. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That's why I asked I'm all confused on the situation. Maybe each state or county has certian regulations or would it be the FDA? I just don't know.

Now I'm going to have to research it.....:confused:

15. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I would think that any liability would fall on the food bank anyway since recipients don't know who donated what. It's not like the food comes in containers with the donor's names on it.

Take Panera bread, they donated so much their food came in giant clear bags the size of garbage bags without any labels on it. If you get a bunch of bagels, I don't know how you would know for sure that they were from Panera and not some other donor.

#15 petite, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  16. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  17. suprdave

suprdave Member

So lets say you pull into the local fast food joint and place your order, at that time the throw your burger on the grill, then your chicken. you pull up to the window and wait 10 mins. for your food, would you complain about waste then? would you go back to that place for food? would you get pissed and throw your food out? you go to your favorite restaraunt, you order food and its cold or the breads hard, what do you do? go back for more? You cant have everything. who here hasnt thrown food out from your house because it was bad,rotten,spoiled? why didnt you eat it so it didnt go bad, people could have ate that, most are just as guilty as the big joints just on a smaller scale. Is there too much waste? yes. should something be done? yes but when people complain about every little problem with the food they get at these places= cold/not fresh/doesnt taste right what do you want them to do? Everyone loves to complain when things arent the way THEY want them but they are guilty of the same things they complain about.

18. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree with what you are saying about people. The difference I see in your example of people are they are paying for a meal and expect what they are paying for, whatever that expectation is. They look at it as a form on entertainment just like a movie. If you are a person that is requiring food assistance then those standards are lower. I'm not saying they should eat pig slop or substandard food. Only that they will most likely be receiving food staples that one can live on.

19. AG08

Gold Member

I think there is a big difference between spoilage and waste. Being a former starving university student, I cannot for the life of me throw away any food no matter how small of an amount it is. I carefully rotate my perishables, and carefully buy my perishable groceries to minimize waste. I also donate any unopened packaged foods that I don't want to the local food bank. I have a very good income now, so it's not a money issue. When you have experienced not knowing where your next meal is coming from, you never forget. I personally feel that it is immoral to waste perfectly good food when so many others are going hungry around the world. The local news here did a report on food waste after Christmas. Waste has to be seperated where I live into food, compost, recyclables, and landfill. The report mentioned that food waste explodes after Christmas every year. They opened up some of these bags to find half eaten turkeys and other non-spoiled food items just a couple of days after Christmas. When I cook a turkey we use every part of it. After most of the meat is eaten, I make an amazing stock pot full of turkey soup from the bones, skin and left over meat that would cost $2/can in the supermarket. When I have tomatoes that are about to spoil, I cut them up and freeze them so they can be used later in a pasta sauce. I used to do the same with bananas (when I could eat them - I can't now because of the high sugar) and made them into banana nut muffins. Anything that is left over (no matter how small) is saved for snacks or lunches the next day. Some nights my wife and I have leftovers for dinner because we are too tired from working all day to cook.

No one can eliminate food waste 100%, but people can do a lot to reduce the amount they throw out if they put in a little effort and imagination for how the food could be used. Because food is so plentiful nowadays, people have the attitude that they can always buy more, so they throw out perfectly good food with little thought of what they are doing. Talk to someone who has experienced war and famine and I'll bet anything they don't throw out a scrap. My parents remember food shortages in England during WWII when they were kids, and it has stayed with them to this day. Even though they have had a comfortable life for the past 45 years, they never waste anything.

20. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
Draft saved Draft deleted