28 Weeks Later

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
I just saw "28 Weeks Later" this past weekend. I was very impressed. Usually, sequels don't live up to the original, but I thought this one was even better than "28 Days Later." I'm not going to go into any detail about the movie, but I will say there will be a third movie based on how this movie ends. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone. It should be interesting.

burns1de

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was actually very dissapointed with the sequel, I thought it was basically just a rehash of the first, but without the social commentary. Just a run of the mill zombies-in-your-face-outta-nowhere 'horror' movie.

homelessmandril

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I was actually very dissapointed with the sequel, I thought it was basically just a rehash of the first, but without the social commentary. Just a run of the mill zombies-in-your-face-outta-nowhere 'horror' movie.

what's this about social commentary in 28 Days Later? You mean about animal testing? Failing hospitals? Or is the heroic protagonist's Irishness some kind of comment on the Birmingham Six affair?

I didn't get it, and I was looking. I just saw a fairly well-acted (apart from the young girl and David Schneider as the comedy scientist at the beginning) but fairly unoriginal Romero rip-off....mind you, even the 'social commentary' in DOTD wasn't exactly revalatory....

Horror movies should either be piss-scary like the Exorcist, absurdly gory like Hellraiser, or resignedly tongue-in-cheek like Evil Dead II & III.

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
I thought another social commentary was American troops in Iraq and the failed mission in 28 Weeks Later. Also, piss-scary horror movies like The Exorcist, create a certain mood and feeling that lingers for days. Whereas, your typical "jump out of your seat for a second" type of movies of today only cause a brief moment of terror which diminish once you leave the theater.

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I thought the sequel carried no social value... nihilistic in the extreme - damned if you do, damned if you don't, fuck everything and destroy it all.

Also, the direction made it hard to follow. It's alright to have a lot of action on screen, but when you chop it up with that quick exposure film right in the face of the camera then no one can actually see what the hell is going on.