$3550 Speeding Ticket

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Jun 29, 2007.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

Virginia introduces the $3550 speeding ticket. The outrageous fees for traffic fines are an effort to generate revenue for the cash strapped state's road repairs.

I always wondered how fines are set, most traffic and parking fines seem to be set on how bad the infraction is but the dollar amount seems arbitrary to me. Fine amounts are unchecked, rise on some do-gooder's whim and are open to abuse but this takes the cake.

When you tie the fine into the need for cash or something other than the appropriate level of punishment - that doesn't sit well with me. It's worse than the quota systems for ticket writers which I think has been phased out.

This sets a bad precedent. Imagine paying $200 for a parking ticket because some city is short of mishandled cash.

Who sets these fines? Isn't this a egregious abuse of our public trust?

washingtonpost.com

Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket

2. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    After recently having been arbitrarily singled out of a line of highway traffic and awarded a costly moving violation, I do sometimes wonder about law enforcement officers' ticket quotas and the county's income generated from traffic fines.

3. dong20

Gold Member

Come to London, charges vary a little from borough to borough but it's not far above the norm of about £80. If you don't pay the congestion charge it's £100. If you're clamped it's at least a £65 release fee + the £80 for the ticket!

Towed away, sky's the limit but from July 1st expect a minimum of £200 + the £80 for the ticket plus a daily charge of at least £40 should you tarry. :mad:

I seldom drive in town.

4. viking1

Gold Member

Yep, the communistwealth of VA. strikes again.

5. No_Strings

Gold Member

Dammit, where'd my post go? I'm not doing it again :rolleyes:

In short: I'm all in favour of ridiculously high speeding fines.

6. earllogjam

Gold Member

Yeah, I've been in a situation where 2 CHP's pull a whole line of cars off the road. Everybody speeds, how do you single one out from everyone else. This seems to give the power of the Virgina troopers to just stick it to people that they just don't like.

For some cities these fines are THE source of income for municipal expenses. There is this one town on a road to Oregon where an interstate turns into a 2 lane road where everybody gets a speeding ticket from one over zealous city cop. Out of towners get the shaft because they can't contest the ticket unless they come back to the bum fuck town. I got one there and was eating at their one diner where the waitress told me the story.

7. dong20

Gold Member

Probably better not to speed then. Cheaper too. :tongue:

8. earllogjam

Gold Member

Why is London the most expensive place in Europe? I am shocked at the prices everytime I go. Tokyo and New York seem inexpensive by comparison - even the parking and towing fines are other worldly. What do the steep fines help pay for in London? Are they revenue generators for something other than the meter maid Nazis?

9. dong20

Gold Member

When I find out, I'll let you know.:rolleyes:

10. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

It's called a speed trap. Cops hiding behind billboards, the speed limit changes without warning, all this stuff has been going on for many decades. It is a big source of revenue for some small towns.

11. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Believe it or not, I actually would have felt better had the entire line of traffic been stopped and cited because we were all doing what the citation was written for. At least it would have been consistent although the citation itself was totally bogus (that's another matter). But what really sticks in my craw is being singled out when literally dozens of vehicles were committing this.

To make it worse, the trooper was just obnoxious. He leaned in my window (in front of my wife and sleeping infant daughter) and saracastically questioned me about why I thought I was being pulled over (at the time I really was puzzled). Then he cut off my reply and literally screamed at me that he wasn't citing me just to be a jerk (curious why he saw the need to say that) but that everyone had to obey the law. The screaming awoke my infant daughter who started crying.

I was steamed, the unfairness of it all. I had a few choice replies ready but it was all I could do to remain silent. I previously tended to be a bit sympathetic toward law enforcement officers but after that kind of treatment, no more. Not that my feelings about it matter a bit.

That pretty much describes exactly what happened: Unfair trap in a small Oregon town. I could contest the ticket but I'll have to take a day off work and it'll be my word against the officer's in front of the judge. I have no leverage or nuetral witnesses to back me up.

12. earllogjam

Gold Member

Yeah, Speed trap. Thanks for telling me. I need to get a radar detector. Are they still illegal?

The thing is everbody speeds. EVERYBODY. I'd say over 75% of drivers in cities go over the posted 60 mph limit on our freeways here and 95% of drivers go over the 70 mph limit in the country areas. Just the unlucky ones get caught and get pulled over by the cops. The cops generally only pull over the reckless drivers weaving in and out of traffic or people who are obviously drunk. Of the masses of speeders - they do discriminate on who they pull over though which leads me to think this fine is unjust.

13. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

NIC posted a thread about this a few days back...

14. D_Bob_Crotchitch

Radar detectors are illegal in some places. You can get an even bigger fine if caught using them. So, some peeps turned them all the way up because they heard it would damage the radar. Who knows. I just hate speed traps.

Officer, I'd like to pay for my ticket now. Follow me to my place. Take off your clothes, place your palms on your knees, and say oh baby baby.

15. dong20

Gold Member

I know, of course they do. I was just stating a simple reality that if you speed you are really in no position to whine about the consequences.

I'm no stranger to it myself, but should I speed and get caught the only person to blame is me.:biggrin1:

16. earllogjam

Gold Member

17. viking1

Gold Member

Three officers got in big trouble over this sort of thing in my area over the past couple of years. One got beaten silly and two others were fired.

18. D_Bob_Crotchitch

You had cops taking a big one up their butts to let peeps go? Oh man, they should have stopped all of us on a tour bus. haha

19. viking1

Gold Member

Well, not exactly. These cops were straight. It was females they were caught with. Same end results, though. Power corrupts, and the abuse of that power brings wrath, sooner...or later.

20. D_Bob_Crotchitch

I used to see this unattractive female sheriff's deputy going back into a long abandoned housing edition. She'd have men in the back seat of the squad car. Well, turns out she was arresting them and giving them a choice of banging her or jail. That is sad sad sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted