39 hours and counting

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BigA, Nov 20, 2006.

1. BigA

BigA New Member

I just realized I haven't slept in 39 hours, and i'm laying in bed wide awake. I thought after pretty much pulling all-nighter last night I'd fall asleep at early hour easily. Now it's 5 a.m. and i have stuff to do soon. I'm sicker than anyone thought. 39 hours and not feel tired? this sux

2. BigA

BigA New Member

how many times can i watch todays football highlights? history channel is starting

3. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

There's a certain point at which the body just seems to get 'beyond sleep', no matter how much you want to fall asleep. And, as someone who's gone for between 36 and 72 hours without sleep in the past... I think I would have to agree that 39+ hours is certainly beyond that point of no return.

Having said that, I know that I've managed to appear and function normally in the past, regularly undertaking five+ hours of public presentations and the like, after such sleepless stretches. After which, my body just goes into something like instant-shutdown. Hopefully it might be that way for you as well.

But you're right, it suxxx big time.

4. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Are you sure that you are awake BigA?

5. BigA

BigA New Member

hmmm, well i did 60 hours once several years back intentionally. But that was just for fun. I wanted to sleep the whole time. But i forced myself to go 60. No this is different. Hopefully i'm at that plateau where I'll be good for the day

6. BigA

BigA New Member

It's ok. I'm embracing the sleeplessness now. this could be fun. Maybe I'll set a record

7. BigA

BigA New Member

72 hours makes sense for the body to naturally shut down. I think at about 4 days people start to go crazy

8. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Meth and Me, a book by BigA.

9. BigA

BigA New Member

No no, if that were the case it would all make sense. I'm getting tired now, but gotta run a marathon soon. Ill probly crash when i get back.

10. BigA

BigA New Member

48... I caught a seventh wind

11. BigA

BigA New Member

49... lets make this interactive. What's the longest you've stayed up??? If you don't specify, I assume you are talking SOBER (caffeine is allowed)

12. Nitrofiend

Nitrofiend New Member

I'm a real lightweight with sleep, the longest I remember was around 48 hours awake I think. I've once slept 3 days straight being sick with some sort of virus.

13. BigA

BigA New Member

Is that considered lightweight?? I dunno. I figured most people are prying their eyelids open at that time. I guess it depends if you were really trying to stay awake or it just happened.

Up to 39 hrs. I was really trying to sleep. Then I had to stay awake for awhile.Right now I'm not making effort to fall asleep or stay awake. I'm just posting.

14. Nitrofiend

Nitrofiend New Member

Well nowadays if I don't sleep, I get sick to my stomach and generally run-down, so I try to get my 6-8 hours a night.

15. BigA

BigA New Member

well. ur only 18. i never had any kind of record until i was 19 or 20. Not that it's anything to brag about. Pretty stupid to just stay up for no reason. But ive gone this far

16. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I've done my share of 40-50+ hour long runs without sleep. I've noticed that I tend to get pretty tired after about 12, then I get a second wind and I'm more wide awake then I had been since waking up. This lasts a few hours, then I start getting tired again... it gets worse and worse until reaching a certain threshold... past which tiredness turns into exhaustion. At this point... I don't feel sleepy anymore, though I know I'm tired. My bowels aren't working quite as well so I may cramp up or get gassy, I'm a little off balance, my circulation won't be quite as good so parts of me will feel tingly. I won't feel like I'm tired usually as long as I stay vertical, but then if I lie down, I'll typically pass out right away. If I'm not keeping my brain going doing something then I'll start to feel it.

The best way for me to stay up indefinitely is to do something that doesn't require a lot of physical exertion but is highly mentally engaging. For instance, I could easily play chess for 40 hours straight and not feel a thing. and I blew through Final Fantasy VII back when I was 19 in a little over 2 days with just a couple hours of sleep. A couple times my cousin Tom and I have started a particularly involved board game (Axis & Allies, Shogun, or something along those lines) and not realize that a day or two has passed.

17. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Get off the internet. That's probably what's keeping you up. Go read a book, lie in bed and listen to relaxing music, go for a walk or a jog and then come back and try to go to sleep again.

18. BigA

BigA New Member

No, i don't need to sleep now. so i'm gonna see how this feeling goes. It's kind of a weird buzz. Not too euphoric

Yeah, Ive heard stories of poker players doing this, for insane amounts of time. in fact I can think of an interesting one. I'll try to dig it up. In fact that's what I did until i posted so much here. It didnt go so well. i didn't play marathon sessions tho

Amusing anecdote
    One day David was stuck several hundred thousand in the Big Game and had been playing for 24 hours when I entered the game. Twice he made comebacks and got close to even and then informed me that he was quitting soon. Each time he lost a big pot and then that plan was shot. After another 24 hours I was up $500,000 and David was down over a million and playing recklessly. I was determined to stay until David quit, although his stamina had become legendary.

David went on a rush 60 hours into his session and, amazingly, got even. Most of his winning was at my expense, and I was now stuck $800,000. He looked at me with the innocence of a young child and said, "I think we have been playing too long and the other players have been alternating resting. We should quit." Apparently, he thought I wouldn't notice that the fact that he got even was the only reason he was saying this.

19. agnslz

Gold Member

The longest I've ever stayed awake is just over two days. It was back when I was in middle school during summer break. Back then, my siblings and I would sometimes have contests to see who could stay awake longest. I almost always lost.:biggrin1: Nowadays, the longest I've gone without sleep is slightly less than an entire day.

20. BigA

BigA New Member

56. You know what. its getting lonely and quiet. Traffic is thinning here. I want this to be epic tho. I think i just hit my ninth wind. You wake up and i'm here. I'm a god to u all. i remain strong. while you sleep, and dream of more worthless thread ideas. I may play with myself for strength. but i could be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted